FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

x17 vs Desktop

Post Date: 2012-05-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
redkulaid View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: x17 vs Desktop
    Posted: 22 May 2012 at 4:37am
Budget:
Budget is set at around 2400$(x17)- 2830$(desktop)(prices are firm) for the computer. Ill need a keyboard and monitor with the desktop.(black widow is preferred, so price should reflect that of 2750$ if that option is taken)

Expectations:
high fps given the conditions. Something that wont fps lag when being at full use(see below. Something that will last and preform for some time. I understand and most likely upgrade when i can, say every 8 months or so(if the x17 can have certain parts replaced, GPU, CPU etc)

Usage:
High end gaming, web use, watching movies etc. Games will be just about everything, and they will be streamed on a site, web cam will be streaming with the games as well. Some recording through fraps as well, but not to much

Special Needs:
I need an audio card that supports DDL for the desktop, I have a solution for the x17. Desktop would need more then one HD compared to the X17. I plan on buying a 1tb portable and a 240 SSD for the laptop elsewhere.

Saved Ticket #: 691173

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm x17 Laptop (Model: 9170)
Display: 17.3 Inch (16:9) (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Glossy Surface) LED-Backlit Display
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820QM (2.7 GHz Turbo Mode to 3.7Ghz) (Quad Core) (8MB Cache)
Thermal Compound: Premium IC Diamond CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise) <b></b>
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
Primary Hard Drive: Intel 120GB SSD (520 Series) (SATA 6Gb/s)
Secondary Hard Drive: - No Thanks <b></b>
Optical Drive: DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)
Wireless Card: Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1103 (Reduces Latency for Online Gaming) <b></b>
Video Card(s): AMD Radeon HD 7970M 2GB
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Total price- 2374$ plus 35$ shipping

Thanks

Edited by redkulaid - 22 May 2012 at 4:47am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 12:59pm
You're going to get more for your money in terms of performance with a desktop when compared to a laptop. However, a laptop isn't that much slower and is portable. I'm not sure what specific questions you had between the two?

You can definitely upgrade the laptop, you will need to contact us directly for video card upgrades.
redkulaid View Drop Down

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 3:51pm
well being portable helps, but isnt needed. The X17 build I posted, the price is nice in my eyes, and in total, ill have 360gb SSD space and 1tb portable hd when needed(movies and junk). Really its screen size and performance in the long run. I dont really know where to start for a desktop, Ive only owned laptops for gaming

Also Alex, do you know if the x17 onboard audio card supports DDL?

Edited by redkulaid - 22 May 2012 at 3:52pm
redkulaid View Drop Down

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 4:24am
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Enix Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core) <b></b>
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Features Thermal Armor and Thermal Radar) <b></b>
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested) <b></b>
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Solid State Hybrid (By: Seagate) (7200 RPM) (Delivers SSD-like Performance) <b></b>
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: !PROMOTION: Killer 2100 (Optimized for Online Gaming) Lag and Latency Reduction <b></b>
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX) (Overclocked EVGA 015-P3-1582-BR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional <b></b>
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition) <b></b>
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard) <b></b>
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <b></b>
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <b></b>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large) <b></b>
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

2499$ total. Monitor/keyboard and mouse are more, but fit my budget.

My concern is cooling for the desktop(any). I want something that will last, upgrades come 2nd priority really, but it will be nice to have.

Also, GTX580 vs the 7970m, hows each compare. Im reading up a lot on both, but want DS community input on it(personal use etc)My budget seems to put me at the 580 for desktops no matter what, I want/need the audio card and network car, dont really know what else I could sacrifice to upgrade the card for the desktop. Laptop is pretty much straight forward, so thats why im set on that really, just want to find the desktop version to see how much more I can get outa it
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 6:38am
Hi redkulaid....here's my thoughts on your build.

The Enix case can be noisy and is cramped.  Air flow isn't what we would normally recommend to keep things as cool as possible.  It's smaller footprint is the attraction but it is smaller mainly in length.  Here's a link from a recent, very well done review form one of our forum members.

We always recommend the HafX case ( Dreadnought ) as it is tops in cooling and it's large fans are quiet because they turn slower and move lots of air. But your call as always. 

I would go another $20 and get the i7-3770k chip. It is the latest and has all that the 2700k has plus more that you might or might not need.  This new Ivy Bridge chip has better integrated graphics and PCIe 3.0 which for now you might not use but it is there.

The Noctua D14 cpu cooler is more reliable, not much to go wrong, cools great and runs quiet. 

Swap the gtx580 for the gtx670.  It'll save you $84 and it performs better, throws less heat and needs less juice.

Good LuckBig%20Smile

redkulaid View Drop Down

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 6:57am
thanks for the input. I did some other builds, and came to the conclusion that the HafX case was better for me, and just plain better for what I want.

Processor wise, 20$, I can live with, I wan just penny pinching to see what I could get out of it.

Great info for the gpu and cpu cooler. Saving money and getting better is always a plus.

In total, those tips saves 105$, so not bad at all.

Overall, I loose the SSD from going with the desktop over the x17 laptop. I gain a fair amount or power, bigger screen, better gaming keyboard etc.

How much more will I gain from the desktop vs the laptop? At first, it looked like id be at home 99% of the time to game, now it looks like I might travel more, but thats not set in stone, and even then, I can always pack the desktop up in the car. As far as upgrading in the future, it will help, but both systems to be set for some time. Seems I can upgrade the x17 GPU wise, cpu I cant confirm yet. It helps asking questions, ive been gaming for some time, but have pretty much bought decent pre built systems that didnt last all to long, but were not bad for the price etc. Last time I built a pc, was when the 8800s were released, and that was a waste of money and time for me

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 7:02am
I wish I could help ya with laptop questions, but mine is 8 years oldCry and I wouldn't know where to start. 

From what I have seen here, the laptops are great gaming units and upgradable. 

Others might chime in to help out.Big%20Smile
redkulaid View Drop Down

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 7:05am
yea, np, thanks for the help

If they compare to a certain level, then ill lean towards the x17 more, since im use to laptops, and I can trav el with it easier. But if the desktop just blows it away performance wise, then ill have to take it and enjoy it just as much.

Thanks again
Siikzhot View Drop Down

Quote Siikzhot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 9:10pm
@redkulaid Hey i recently got an x17 about a month ago now actually withe the 675m and your CPU is the better version than mine so you may get even better performance than i do but anyway i don't know what games you are looking to run but here's some FPS readings from games i play
Battlefield 3- 50 FPS Ultra Settings
Counterstrike- 120+ FPS Max Settings
Mass Effect 3- 60 FPS Max Settings (Game is Capped at 60FPS)
Star Wars: The Old Republic- 80 FPS Max Settings in crowded areas

You definitely will get better performance with a good desktop but IMO The x17 is fine if you don't want to spend a whole ton of money just yet I personally love it, only thing the battery on lasts about 3 hours just surfin the web
redkulaid View Drop Down

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 12:48am
Siikzhot- Thanks for the info. Games will range, just about everything, but for no, D3, WoW, Minecraft, Firefall, BF3, MW3, Borderlands 1 & 2, Torchlight 1 $ 2, LoL, NFS series, and other steam games.

If i go with the x17, ill be getting the 7970m gpu. As far as price, with others help, the desktop would be the gtx 670, 3770k cpu, and supporting mods. I understand with a desktop, ill be able to upgrade easier, but its gonna cost slightly more right now, since ill need a monitor and keyboard as well. I feel with the x17, im within my budget, get a little bit more right now, but will struggle with it in the future. How soon, I personally dont know, but I feel if my old Toshiba laptop with the 560m got me just under 2 yrs of what I wanted (little less then what I plan to do with this current computer)I should be fine. That laptop was a beast, 18.4in brick, but I liked it for how cheap it was. I sold it for 200 less then what I bought it for, but had extras (keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc) so not a bad deal at all.

All in all, i think im sold on the x17. With the setup I linked in post #1, ill add a blue ray player, and call it that. In total, ill have 1tb oh hd space and 360gb of SSD space, so all my games will be on a SSD for some performance gain, load times etc. Ill play max settings when I can, but as long as its playable, and able to stream to my viewers np, I should be fine. With this, I feel like im within that limits of what I want and my budget, cant wait to order this this weekend.

Ill post a review when I get it, with full details of how the camera works to the new amd 7970 gpu. Thanks for all the help
redkulaid View Drop Down

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2012 at 7:05am
so since the 7970m card delays the system till june 8th( i can wait, but im like a kid in a candy store)Im debating the build again.

692742    Desktop build

VS

692743    Laptop build

Each are to their own. With the laptop, id add another 240gb SSD and a portable 1tb drive. Desktop id add the 24in monitor and keyboard (mouse for both systems are the same)

Ill add, the room the computer will be in is roughly 70-80 degrees, AC will be on anything above that, or if there is humidity. Im worried about how long each system will last, and how hot they will get will being used in this range. I want to go with one that will last as long as possible with no work needed with either build. I know repairing the desktop will be easier, and I can upgrade piece by piece, where as the laptop I cant really do all to much beside gpu. Im reading more and more reviews, and im stuck on which one to go with. x17 seems to be doing great for those who have it, and same with the towers.

Also, with the OC on the tower make it not last as long(if its cooled properly etc) and is it worth it to OC the 670 gtx at all? I more or less dont want to OC to its max, just tweak it a bit for some more power. Thanks
Falkus View Drop Down

Quote Falkus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2012 at 11:57pm
My laptop build (x17) is about exactly the same as yours. I have the 675m instead of the Radeon (got the laptop before they offered it) and I have the 750GB hybrid drive. Other than that, we have the same stuff.

For me, the laptop runs Diablo 3, Minecraft, LoL, WoW, SC2 and many other games just fine at maxed settings.

So as you said, the only real differences are in portability vs. updradeability.

Hope I helped :)
redkulaid View Drop Down

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2012 at 7:24am
Originally posted by Falkus

My laptop build (x17) is about exactly the same as yours. I have the 675m instead of the Radeon (got the laptop before they offered it) and I have the 750GB hybrid drive. Other than that, we have the same stuff.

For me, the laptop runs Diablo 3, Minecraft, LoL, WoW, SC2 and many other games just fine at maxed settings.

So as you said, the only real differences are in portability vs. updradeability.

Hope I helped :)

Yea, I ordered the x17 above with a blu ray reader, thats the only difference in the final build. I think ill be more than happy, just wanted to make sure on some things and get opinions before I drop the cash on it. I figure, this will last me for a bit of time, by the time it gets to be not as good, ill upgrade it through DS, and then build a desktop as well.
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:21am
Originally posted by redkulaid

Yea, I ordered the x17 above with a blu ray reader, thats the only difference in the final buildl.

Don't forget to buy the software from somewhere: Sometimes we forget to read the fine print in our excitement Big%20Smile

NOTE: This Blu-Ray drive does not come with any bundled Blu-Ray movie playback software. It will read Blu-Ray discs (data and movies). Windows 7 does not support Blu-Ray movie playback natively, you will need to purchase Blu-Ray movie playback software to watch Blu-Ray movies.
redkulaid View Drop Down

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Bobby

Originally posted by redkulaid

Yea, I ordered the x17 above with a blu ray reader, thats the only difference in the final buildl.

Don't forget to buy the software from somewhere: Sometimes we forget to read the fine print in our excitement Big%20Smile

<span style="font-family: Wingdings; font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Wingdings; mso-bidi-font-family: Wingdings; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold;"><font face="Times New Roman">NOTE: This Blu-Ray drive does not come with any bundled Blu-Ray movie playback software. It will read Blu-Ray discs (data and movies). Windows 7 does not support Blu-Ray movie playback natively, you will need to purchase Blu-Ray movie playback software to watch Blu-Ray movies.</span>

Well that stinks. 78$! I should be fine. I more or less got it for the future, if dvds somehow get phased out. Ill be able to find some kind of software, but if there are any suggestions on what works well for the price, that would be great.
redkulaid View Drop Down

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2012 at 5:21pm
I will say, im a little disappointed that the x17 does not come with a free shirt, or a certificate from DS. I paid the same price(less building really) and didnt get these two perks. Oh well.

Found blu ray software, so im set on that. I was gonna call and just do the DVD burner and save the 78$, but I already have the software I need, and really, Im sure ill use it sooner or later.
redkulaid View Drop Down

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 7:38pm
So my order has shipped. I figured out what I plan to do as far as OC the gpu/processor, and got the rest of my other stuff ready to go for this.

One question, is there a way to turn off the intergrated graphics? I did a lot of reading as far as what drivers to use for the 7970m(ill see what ones DS installed to) but im running into the question I asked. Also, does anyone know what Bios comes on the X17(does DS modify the bios etc as well)

Thanks
redkulaid View Drop Down

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 6:22pm
Its gonna arrive a day early! I was stalking fed ex and did a track of it just now, and its gonna be out for delivery a day early. Ill have a detailed review on it tomorrow. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply