Post Date: 2009-02-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: WOW and FPS
    Posted: 14 Feb 2009 at 12:31am
I got  this system  because my Dell would drop way low on FPS   in Dalaran  and Raiding    well this  does the same   system has quad core cpu OCed to 3.5 g gtx 295 vid card  6 gigs corsair  1600 ram   I am baffeled  as to why the FPS  drop so low  with this being such a high end system compared to a Dell XPS 720
Sneakerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sneakerz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2009 at 10:20am
How low are we talking? The only time I drop in FPS is when I'm in Wintergrasp and I drop to about 35FPS. This is running Q9450 OC to 3.2 and a single Radeon 4870 running on a 22in at 1680X1050.

Is your vert sync turned off?
Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.9
80GB Intel SSD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 580
Stage 4 LCS
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2009 at 1:18pm
the lowest I have seen so far  and there were not many people there was in Dalaral  FPS dropped to around 32  
which  with a  system  having a I7 OCed to 3.5g  6 g of 1600 ddr3 ram and GTX295 vid card   is strange 
Dsnewb210 View Drop Down

Quote Dsnewb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 12:20am
Its because blizzard has done the worst job optimizing there graphics and your card is SLI.. For wow you would of been better off with a single gtx 285..
Kristie View Drop Down

Quote Kristie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Dsnewb210

Its because blizzard has done the worst job optimizing there graphics

This is pretty much 100% correct; when the new expansion came out, it's like WoW's min. requirements went a lot higher for a tiny increase. I can easily tell because I get ~100fps to 200+ when there's no one around in Ironforge on my little Dell laptop but I've never had more than 45fps in Dalaran and raids are like 25-45fps when I would always be around 50 in BT/Sunwell(it pretty much feels like I'm running fraps 24/7).

This issue pops up every 5-10sec on Technical Support forums with subscribers who have computers that can play WoW without breaking a sweat but unfortunately Blizzard gives people the most retarded "fixes" instead of admitting that it's their fault. Like ever since the new expansion came out, the only way I can *try* to get as much FPS as before is to turn off shadows and play with 24x/24x/1x AA =/
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 11:41am
well first off  I cant believe anyone  saying ditch the GTX 295  and get a 285   must be nice to have that kind of cash flo to go well not happy with this  will just try  another one  , I just Blew my Tax return on this system  on this rig   ans with al the feedback Im getting  I might as well send it back 

got the wrong vid card  

need to lower resolution

turn off shadows  

try lower effects settings 

my lands whats the point in spending right at 3k on a gaming rig  if you have to  move all setting to lowest  to get decent gameplay   seriously,   might as well ditch it and go with a WallMart chepo  and  get the same results

PatrickB View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote PatrickB Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 2:17pm
Htoler its not your computer. Its the terrible coding from blizzard. Want proof? Go play crysis, will run it like a champ. 
Q9550 @ 3.4Ghz for now
Xigmatek Thor's Hammer
MSI P45 Neo2-fr
6gig 1066 Corsair Dominator
XFX Radeon HD 4890
PC Power&Cooling 750W
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb
Antec 900
Vista 64bit
Samael View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Samael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 2:39pm
Run any other game game than poorly coded WoW, then see the results, they should kick ass!
Why do they blame me for all their little failings? They use my name as if I spent my entire day sitting on their shoulders, forcing them to commit acts they would otherwise find repulsive - Lucifer
Kryhavoc View Drop Down

Quote Kryhavoc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 4:04pm
Htoler, perhaps you should test another MMORPG.  Most of them have a free trial period so you can check it out and see what happens.  If you still have FPS issues, then it may be the computer, but if FPS is decent on them, it may be WOW.

Then again, I be just blowing smoke from my ...
Sneakerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sneakerz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 4:21pm
Htoler,

Try some other games and see if you are experiencing some of the same issues. It could be quite possible you have a bad video card. But most likely I doubt it. That's crazy that you are not getting decent FPS though.

When I'm running around in Dalarn I get around 60-80 and in the old cities I get 150+FPS.

I was thinking of switching my 4870 for a GTX 285 cause It's hard to play in Wintergrasp with only 20-25FPS.....but if you are having problems with a GTX 295 I'm a bit leery now...
Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.9
80GB Intel SSD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 580
Stage 4 LCS
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 5:32pm
well I know that for anyone to be getting anything over 60FPS  there was a graphics setting you had to change  WOW  caps at 60 FPS    I can try another game  ans see what happens  will post  will see if EQII  still offers a trial version
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 5:36pm

Give us a call on Tuesday (1-866-817-8676) or send us a message (http://www.digitalstormonline.com/sendmessage.asp) and we will do our best to try to iron-out this issue for you, even if it is with the game itself.

For now, I would recommend trying another game to check if this is only due to the game. Also, try installing NVIDIA's latest BETA driver (http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/182.05/182.05_geforce_winvista_32bit_english_beta.exe) this is for Vista.
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Alex

Give us a call on Tuesday (1-866-817-8676) or send us a message (http://www.digitalstormonline.com/sendmessage.asp) and we will do our best to try to iron-out this issue for you, even if it is with the game itself.

For now, I would recommend trying another game to check if this is only due to the game. Also, try installing NVIDIA's latest BETA driver (http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/182.05/182.05_geforce_winvista_32bit_english_beta.exe) this is for Vista.

will those drivers work  with my system having  Vista 64 ??
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 9:38pm
well I went out and bought Pc Gammer  and tried 2 demos  off of it and  neither will work at all  so tried downloading Crysis geme  same thing.

I have  pretty much had it with this computer     the only positive thing goind for this think is it lookd  good
Sneakerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sneakerz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 11:16pm
Turn Vertical Sync off in WoW options and it will let you go above 60FPS.....let me know how that works out for you and see if you are still getting low FPS...
Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.9
80GB Intel SSD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 580
Stage 4 LCS
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Sneakerz

Turn Vertical Sync off in WoW options and it will let you go above 60FPS.....let me know how that works out for you and see if you are still getting low FPS...

turning  that off is not gonna fix anything  it just reads the FPS differently.

I have lowered  resolution  down to 1360 x 768  and lowered  all other settings  and only gained 3 or 4 FPS  in Dalaran  and other  highle populated  areas

I bought this system so I would not have to turn everything down I want to be able to enjoy the game at the higher settings   and I definatel not going to set them lower than I had them on my Dell  that would make zero sense  and  I will try other games  but  the game i play is WOW 
jtspectra2 View Drop Down

Quote jtspectra2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Htoler

Originally posted by Sneakerz

turning  that off is not gonna fix anything  it just reads the FPS differently.

I have lowered  resolution  down to 1360 x 768  and lowered  all other settings  and only gained 3 or 4 FPS  in Dalaran  and other  highle populated  areas

I bought this system so I would not have to turn everything down I want to be able to enjoy the game at the higher settings   and I definatel not going to set them lower than I had them on my Dell  that would make zero sense  and  I will try other games  but  the game i play is WOW 

Apparently your  not understanding that its not your system, its WOW thats doing it to your rig. Your rig is beast. Also , Turning off Vsync WILL give you more frames, unless you have a crappy old monitor.
Q9650 @ 4.2Ghz( Liquid Cooled), 4GB 1600Mhz DDR3, GTX280 SLI, VRaptor,HAF 932
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 1:33am
then  why do so many WOW players  say they have zero isshies  with FPS dropping off in Dalaran and Wintergrasp?? 

and turming off vsync  may show me to be getting  over 100 plus FPS  but what good is that if in populated areas they drop to 50-60 and still get all sluggish and choppy ?

theyhm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote theyhm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 1:49am
For gods sake, it's spelled issues (not isshues). I keep seeing this in all of your posts and it makes me want to slam my face into a brick wall.

And if you have complaints about your new system/the game you're playing, can you limit it to one thread? By my count you've started four threads about your computer, and posted on a forum sticky. We all feel your pain but keep it within reason please.

Edited by theyhm - 16 Feb 2009 at 1:51am
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 2:24am
if not everyone  is a spelling expert so fricking what   go slam your face see what anyone cares  if I chose to start 20 post on somthing whats it to you  I doubt anyone is forcing you to read any of them   if you qwn this forum  then  by all means BAN ME .. 
my supposed to be ubber computer  is not even close to what I expected it to be am I a bit peved about that you bet I am

right close to 3k and it is no better than the computer it is replacing
DS  came highly reccommended   and the rep I talked to on the phone tol me this system would Rolf Stomp WOW  yet it seams the other way around.

you dont like what I post  then just dont read anthing with my name  on it  problem for you solved 
Samael View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Samael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 3:32am
ok this is coming from a complete and utter newb, maybe its your internet connection, I may be completely wrong on this one though so please do not take this the wrong way. Most people would love to help you on here. But I have seen a lot of people have their MMOs crashing to a halt in populated areas for internet connections. Again if I am completely off the mark please correct me. 
Why do they blame me for all their little failings? They use my name as if I spent my entire day sitting on their shoulders, forcing them to commit acts they would otherwise find repulsive - Lucifer
Hammer View Drop Down

Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 4:44am

Nah Samael, I totaly agree. MMOs are online affairs and if your connection blows, so will your gaming; your graphics card can't render what it doesn't even know is there yet. And Htoler, I understand you spent $3k on your computer and it's not doing what you wanted it to, but for the love of gawd stop throwing blame around like it's candy. Everyone keeps telling you that WoW and the drivers for your 295 are busted and not matured yet...but since you haven't even talked to DSO yet you really don't know what's going on. Maybe UPS dropped your computer on it's head, maybe you have a defective video card, maybe your internet blows, maybe your RAM/Video card aren't fully seated...who knows.

Also a computer can only play a game as well as the game was designed to run; just because you load the 1982 gameboy version of tetris onto a $5000 dollar computer doesn't mean you're gonna get more than sucky green boxes at 120x120 resolution and mono-speaker sound. WoW is not currently designed for epic FPS and on my ATI X1600 in an AMD Athlon x2 with a massive 2gigs of ram...the FPS are 20-40 and it's still rather smooth and something I once gloated about. My old system is the type of computer WoW is designed to utilize because it's what gets them the most players. If WoW changed thier program to cater to high end computers, they'd likely F over the lowbies WITH $750 computers and loose their real money-base. MMOs are always going to have wierd coding because of the range of graphic levels they have to caiter too. But that's just my opinion.
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 4:48am
Interner connection is always a possibility  but I dont think it is in my case latency is normall below 200  once in awhile  it will be over 300   I have cable internet connection 10k I think it is 
I imagine  it is just going to turn out to be issues with the Vid card being so newly out  and updated drivers will prolly address the problem

Thank you all for trying to help me out   its just frustrating 
Hammer View Drop Down

Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 4:51am
If there's nothing seriously wrong with your computer I'm sure your game play will improve after WoW and Nvidia work out the issues and you'll be playing like a champ. Good luck to ya.
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 4:56am
and so far as it goes I dont recall auctually Blaming anyone  maybe it comes accross as that  I have asked about  if many things might be posibilities.

am I dissappointed in the system  hell yes I am  like I said I talke to a rep and he said I would not have any issues with WOW  that this system would ROLF stomp  WOW   I dont know what the problem is  if I did it would have been fixed already
Hammer View Drop Down

Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 5:04am
It wasn't really that you were blaming any of us, it's that you were blaming DSO. If your comp runs crysis smoothly then that's something most WoW players can't even do on the lowest settings. I't just that I think you offended the forums when you called out DSO when it's quite probable the problem is between the 295 and WoW. But if a DSO employee told you something and the comp doesn't deliver I can see how it looks and I'd be upset too. Then again if I wasn't aware of specific issues with WoW and new vid cards, I'd prolly tell you the same thing they did cause WoW is a low demanding game and the 295 is top of the line so naturally it should tear WoW up...but driver maturity and WoW settings are mucking it up. Best of luck to you on the resolution to all this frustration.
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 8:25am
ok after  spending  the last couple hours posting on the WOW forums  and  trying the  ideals they had with no improvements   many are saying that the ones claiming to be getting a steady 60 FPS  no matter what  must be running very high end systems  that prolly ran them between 5 to 10 k  or they are just talking  crap  about the FPS they are getting 
lgm25c View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote lgm25c Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Htoler

ok after  spending  the last couple hours posting on the WOW forums  and  trying the  ideals they had with no improvements   many are saying that the ones claiming to be getting a steady 60 FPS  no matter what  must be running very high end systems  that prolly ran them between 5 to 10 k  or they are just talking  crap  about the FPS they are getting 

I just read this thread and the one you started in tech assist section.

It's been made apparent that your problem is not in the overall quality of your system. I haven't seen your specs, but if you're running a new DS rig with a 295, your system is high-end, especially for WOW.
 If you had spent another $5K you'd still be having the same problems.

Like others have said several times, it sounds like the 295 (because of the dual core?) has problems with WOW.
 I play EQ2, a relatively new player. In anticipation of getting my new rig I did some reading in the game forums. People are having disappointing results with screaming systems not giving them expected results.
 Turns out EQ2 doesn't support SLI, or dual-core CPUs. Sleepy
I think they recently fixed the CPU problem, but you see my point.

Could be too there is a problem with your rig. Calling DS tomorrow will confirm that for you.

Also, I'm not an English nazi, but as a regular on several forums, I have to comment that your poor spelling and punctuation make your posts difficult to read. I say this meaning the best intentions because your purpose here to ask assistance and the easier it is to read/comprehend your posts, the more people will be inclined to respond, or even bother to read them at all. Ouch

I know it's frustrating and disappointing. I had two Dell XPS ordered and returned before I had enough and got a refund. Then I found DS, and in the end I got lucky because I'll end end up with a higher quality PC, and superior customer service.
 So hang in there, call DS tomorrow and see what they can do. They can't fix WOW coding, but they should be able to come up with a good solution.

Edited by lgm25c - 16 Feb 2009 at 12:12pm
Samael View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Samael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 1:42pm
we are all pulling for you, and I know how frustrating it can be really to pay $3k on a machine and things go wrong. Just one more day and call DS and they will take care of you.

Other than that, what I do not get is if the customer specifically asked to be able to run WoW, and WoW is known for its SLI issues, why not offer the guy 285s instead of 295s?
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 2:06pm
That`s the part that puzzles me  but will not be able to get an answer about that till tomorrow .
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by lgm25c

[QUOTE=Htoler]ok after  spending  the last couple hours posting on the WOW forums  and  trying the  ideals they had with no improvements   many are saying that the ones claiming to be getting a steady 60 FPS  no matter what  must be running very high end systems  that prolly ran them between 5 to 10 k  or they are just talking  crap  about the FPS they are getting 

I just read this thread and the one you started in tech assist section.

It's been made apparent that your problem is not in the overall quality of your system. I haven't seen your specs, but if you're running a new DS rig with a 295, your system is high-end, especially for WOW.
 If you had spent another $5K you'd still be having the same problems.

Like others have said several times, it sounds like the 295 (because of the dual core?) has problems with WOW.

if was just the fact of the 295 card being duel   then why is it that disabling SLI does not fix the issue ?

Sneakerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sneakerz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 9:33pm
I know how frustrating it can be Htoler when you spend alot of money on something and it doesn't perform as well as you expect it to.
You have a killer system though, I would not blame your system at all. It has to do with WoW. The coding for wow needs to mature for the new Dual core graphics cards.

People with the 4870X2 have been having some of the same issues. Until Nvidia updates their drivers it might not change.

As far as getting 100FPS and then dropping to 50-60 in populated areas, that's actually very good. Also don't forget, you can have the best graphics card on the market, but WoW is built to use more CPU than GPU. And currently, WoW is designed to use 2 cores not 4. So even a Duo Core 8600 OC to 4.0 will run better than a brand new I7 Quad Core 3.2 extreme.

It sucks, but until they optimize WoW to use more cores, Duo Core is the best gaming processor out right now. There are a few games that utilize 4 cores, but not very many.
Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.9
80GB Intel SSD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 580
Stage 4 LCS
Kryhavoc View Drop Down

Quote Kryhavoc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 10:25pm
Here is a scary thought regarding WOW.  I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with 256mb ram and no graphics card.  I did a 2 week trial of WOW about 2 years ago and was able to run the game perfectly.  While the expansions released since then require a bit more to run them, I suspect that even after upgrading my ram to 2gb I would still be able to run WOW.
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 11:51pm
would not surprise me a bit  if you could.   I went out and bought a few games today  UT III ,   Call of Duty 5  .  and full version of Crysis,  so far  I Have played Call of Duty 5  and it seams on  a glitch ot 2  but figure that was mor connection  installing Crysis now  will see how it does

Hammer View Drop Down

Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Kryhavoc

Here is a scary thought regarding WOW.  I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with 256mb ram and no graphics card.  I did a 2 week trial of WOW about 2 years ago and was able to run the game perfectly.  While the expansions released since then require a bit more to run them, I suspect that even after upgrading my ram to 2gb I would still be able to run WOW.

I have a Compaq Presario laptop with 512mb of ram and an integrated ATI 200m that uses 128mb of the system ram...and it STILL plays WoW at a playable level...except in high population areas. So ya...not so scary. Big%20smile

Edited by Hammer - 17 Feb 2009 at 6:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>