FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Would Love Some Suggestions

Post Date: 2010-10-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jonny View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jonny Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Would Love Some Suggestions
    Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 11:55pm
Hello, Im new to this website and have heard a lot of great things after researching several computer gaming computer websites. Also I heard from a friend in my Guild (yes I play World of Warcraft) that he has nothing but wonderful expierences with Digital Storm. Not too mention the A+ BBB rating which is truly remarkable.

So first off, I am looking to upgrade my PC. I want something that is for gaming, primarily for World of Warcraft, and that will run the expansion, Cataclysm. Cataclysm is to be released on December 7th. Here are the most recent specs: (Recommended)

Operating System

• Windows XP 32-bit (SP3), Windows XP 64-bit (SP2), Windows Vista 32-bit (SP1), Windows Vista 64-bit (SP1) Windows 7

Processor

• Dual-core processor, such as the Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2

Memory

• 2 GB RAM (2 GB for Vista users)

Video

• 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 256 MB Nvidia GeForce 8600 or ATI Radeon

Sound

• 2600 or better DirectX-compatible sound card or motherboard sound capability

A broadband Internet connection is required, and a multi-button mouse with scroll wheel is recommended

My current computer is over 2 years old, and it's starting to become slow. So it is time to upgrade. I want to buy something that will run the game smoothly, with the maximum FPS, with settings at Max. Aside of that, I will be running dual screen monitors, one with a VGA and the primary monitor with HDMI. I want to be able to run the game, while being able to play music or a movie (itunes, winamp, WMP, etc) and browsing the web, all at the same time. I also want to be able to Burn DVD/CDs. Hard drive capacity and speed is not a huge issue, a standard 7200 rpm will suffice til I eventually upgrade to a Solidstate. (So I would like to be able to upgrade and have a extra slot to be able to do that in the near future.) The only other requirement I would like is having Windows 7.

Computers usually last about 18 months before their technology becomes obsolete. I want something that will cover these personal requirements. I would like to keep my budget around $1500 dollars.

I have an IT degree but am not very "Tech Savy" when it comes to computer gaming components. So please help with any ideas or recommendations on my build.

Thanks ahead of time!
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 12:57am
in the right direction but that looks way over your budget to me.. consider looking over the building guide in my signature, meanwhile, for your budget, i would do this for your budget:

if you mainly play mmos (which are typically lower demand) and do more than just game:

main difference is that the first build is all video power, completely gaming fps centric.. the 2nd spreads the power around a little, gives you quieter and stronger cooling to get a higher overclock if you do other non gaming things such as media editing/creation

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 12:58am
oh and this needs to go in the config section Big%20Smile
maybe alex will move it for us
Jonny View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Jonny Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 2:05am

Thanks for the post, checking out the specs!

Post Reply Post Reply