FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Vanquish is right for me?

Post Date: 2015-03-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Trius View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Trius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Which Vanquish is right for me?
    Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 4:24pm
My main desire for the PC is future upgrade ability. I'd like to have the peace of mind that I'd be able to upgrade the CPU and GPU easily and possibly add a SSD. Honestly I am not really all that familiar with all the hardware specs and find it a bit confusing (I've been out of the loop with PC gaming and hardware for a while). I have been getting by with my laptop for some time, but it's really showing it's age and I'd like to upgrade.

The games I am looking forward to the most are Pillar's of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera, and The Witcher 3.

Currently on the PC I mostly play Heroes of the Storm and Old infinity engine games I get from GOG (which obviously aren't a problem). I also go back to play other old favorites like the Mass Effect Series, Fallout New Vegas, Portal, etc...

I'd like to be able to run these games at 1080p with a good frame rate at above average graphics settings.

There's a big jump in price between the Vanquish 3 and 4 which appears to be due mostly to the change in GPU, Motherboard, and the added SSD.

With the motherboard on the Vanquish 3 will I be able to upgrade the GPU and CPU in the future? Does it allow for SLI and if not will SLI ever be a necessity for gaming? Is it better to have two lower end cards in SLI instead of one beefy one?

Also could anyone recommend a good value monitor for 1080p gaming? And how are the keyboard and mouse combos that Digital Storm offers?

Thank you for any and all help

Edited by Trius - 18 Mar 2015 at 4:26pm
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 4:34pm
You'll be able to upgrade the processor to a Broadwell chip that come out soon, but the Skylake processors that come out later on this year will use a different socket and chipset. The GPU will be upgradable for some time coming...I don't see the PCI-e interface being replaced anytime soon.

As for SLI, it adds complexity to a set-up, but can yield better performance from two lower cost cards than a higher end card. For 1080p gaming, both the 960 and 970 work...obviously the 970 will allow you to turn the graphics settings up higher.

Lots of posts on the forum discussing monitors. Many factors to consider like responsiveness and refresh rate, color quality, etc.
Trius View Drop Down

Quote Trius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 4:40pm
Thanks for the reply. My target for upgrading would be a couple of years down the line, hopefully having to upgrade just one part (like the GPU) for better gaming performance.

So does the motherboard on the 4 support the new socket and chipset?
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 4:52pm
Hi Trius,

The level 3 mother board won't support SLI. The level 4 mother board will support SLI. You get a lot more performance with the level 4.

Frank

Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 4:58pm
IMO, I'd go with the level 4.

The MB offers so much more like 4 memory slots vs 2, 2PCIx16 slots vs 1, 2 PCIx8 slots, More fan plugs if needed, etc. Z97 chipset vs H81. SLI.
The CPU is unlocked and will be overclocked (usually to 4.2G.
The upgraded CPU cooling is a plus.
The GTX970 video vs GTX960 is a performance boost as well as having 2X the memory.

I think you would see much better performance - you mentioned "the Witcher" and "heroes of the storm" which are demanding games.

I think upgradability on the lvl 4 vs the lvl 3 is much better overall.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 6:03pm
The socket and chipset is built into the motherboard. These change every generation or two. Intel has decided to make the upcoming Broadwell chips compatible with the motherboards used with Haswell. But, later on this year, the next generation beyond Broadwell, Skylake will come out. I wouldn't worry about upgrading your processor in just two years...you can probably stretch the computers usefulness out to 4-5 years if you simply upgrade your GPU.
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 10:16pm
While I agree the Broadwell chips will be a huge hit in the fanless tablets and ultrabooks along with high end smartphones, etc I am still watching to see the outcome for PCs, Macs and larger all-in-ones. I am thinking it will show in the lower end categories of these systems and not the high end gaming / scientific type machines.

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2014/2014100301_Intel_to_launch_Broadwell_U_series_CPUs_at_CES_event.html

Just doesn't look real impressive to me.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 3:07am
I don't think the Broadwell chips for the desktop computers will provide much more than a reduction on their power envelope. The highest spec unlocked chip is supposed to be 65W TDP, which I'd imagine would be on par, performance wise, with the i7-4790K that has a TDP of 88W.
 Post Reply Post Reply