FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velox or Vanquish: Need Advice on Builds

Post Date: 2014-08-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sls0991 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sls0991 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Velox or Vanquish: Need Advice on Builds
    Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 1:21am
Budget:
Depends, willing to spend to get what I want. $2000+

Expectations:
I really want a good gaming computer that I won't have to upgrade for a few years and when it does come time to upgrade, I want it to be easy and doable without any limitations. I don't want/need to overclock and I definitely DO NOT want liquid cooling.

Usage:
Heavy video usage and moderate gaming (which is why I don't want or need to overclock, but will require a large SSD).

Special Needs:
Air cooling options. I know standard isn't the best, but what is the difference between air stage 1 high performance copper heat pipe cooler and air stage 2 noctua nh-d14 se2011 extreme performance? Also, I noticed on the Velox system page which I am considering, there is a photo of performance air cooling. So does that mean this system easily supports air cooling? Also, that CPU cooler doesn't look anything like the 3 options available when you customize the system. I also don't need dual GPUs.

Specifications:
I would like an i7 processor, and I have seen DS offer a locked version of the i7 just a few months ago with the ODE, but now it is unavailable. So my question is, will it be available any time soon or will I have to settle for the intel i5 4590? Also, if I were to choose that option on the Velox, I noticed that the motherboard is meant for overclocking, so would I have to choose another motheboard and if so, which should I choose?

I would also require 8gb ddr3 1866mhz ram and a 250 samsung SSD, which is why I am stuck with my previous desire to purchase the Vanquish II lvl 4 as it has 1600mhz ram and only a 120gb SSD. I don't need anything more than a gtx 770 2gb GPU at this time either.
And to be completely honest, the Velox looks smaller length wise which will fit on my computer desk better. My room is very small and I would most likely have trouble with the Vanquish II.

This would be my Velox configuration without any helpful advice, lol. Any and all suggestions will be greatly valued, thanks! (Also, any tips for a monitor would be helpful as well. I've been dealing with laptops exclusively for the past 6 years so going back to a desktop will be a transition. Besides we all know that you can't game well on a laptop, as I have discovered!

System Configuration: (Cost $2266 before shipping)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 4590 3.30 GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-C (Intel Z97 Chipset) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1866MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair CX750M
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High-Performance Copper Heat Pipe Cooler
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: Asus 24 inch 248 Series (Widescreen) (Black) (2ms Response Time) (LED Backlight)
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: CM Storm Devastator Bundle (Gaming Keyboard & Gaming Mouse)
Mouse: - No Thanks
NVIDIA SHIELD: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 3:00am
Hi sls0991.... Your build is the same performance as the Vanquish level 4. What your build does give you is the option to select any part you want, like your choice of bigger psu, different mobo and larger SSD. The Vanquish are pre built, so no changes and sold as you see them. You can change parts yourself easily yourself, just not before buying.

If you don't want overclocking then the stage 1 cooler is all you need. The better coolers like Noctua are used when overclocking to get rid of the higher heat overclocking generates.

You can get an unlocked i7-4790k if you want the added benefit of Hyperthreading over the i5 with no Hyperthreading and just not overclock it. Same for the motherboard. An overclock able motherboard doesn't need to be overclocked.

The difference in performance between the 1866mHz and 1600mHz ram is very little if any.   Depends on your applications. A few percentage point difference , but not noticeable for most.

The Velox does have awesome airflow for those not using it for Hydrolux water cooling. Probably one of the best around. The Vanquish for your parts will have all the cooling it needs so either are great for the parts you selected.

Basically, if the Vanquish, as is, meets your needs then go for it and save money. If not, the Velox gives you a ton of options like SSD, psu, etc .

Hope this helps and good luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Aug 2014 at 3:07am
sls0991 View Drop Down

Quote sls0991 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 4:18am
Thank you so much for your reply! I've been reading quite a few discussions here on the Vanquish II and even more hardcore gamers than myself seem to love the system and it meets their needs perfectly. I think that is what I will go with, I just hope it fits on my computer desk hah! I will have to do some measuring.

I appreciate that you answered all of my questions and clarified the parts I was confused over, thank you again!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 4:27am
You're welcome and my pleasure.

The Vanquish is about 2" longer than the Velox. Click on More Info under each case and you compare the specs.

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 9:58am
Originally posted by sls0991

Thank you so much for your reply! I've been reading quite a few discussions here on the Vanquish II and even more hardcore gamers than myself seem to love the system and it meets their needs perfectly. I think that is what I will go with, I just hope it fits on my computer desk hah! I will have to do some measuring.

The Vanquish II is a fabulous machine and I have no regrets in purchasing it whatsoever. It has done everything I've asked it to do with flying colors and has barely even broken a sweat. I am completely sold on this machine and the company behind it.

Having said that... the main factor in my purchasing the Vanquish II was trying to justify it on a budget that "she who must be obeyed" had set forth. This machine met her expectations as well as mine. So all is well here in the Snaike Den.

Bottom line is to get what you can afford.

(Although to be honest here, I still want a machine that will rival PCGamers' Large Pixel Collider... don't tell her!)
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 10:29am

... I just hope it fits on my computer desk hah! I will have to do some measuring.

As I'm sitting here, with my Vanquish II, I will give you the exact dimensions of it. (Keep in mind that they may have made changes in the 4 months I've had it).

The machine is 8.5" wide, 17" high (plus you'll need room to vent upward, lots of open mesh), and the box is 20" deep (plus you'll need room for peripheral/power cords).

Hope this helps... Maybe font's too small to read..

Razorback View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Razorback Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 1:56pm
I just got my Vanquish II yesterday. Love it so far. I can measure it if you want. As as some said, not sure if they have changed the dimensions since his.
Intel Core i7 6700k 4.5 GHz (OC)
ASUS Maximus Hero VIII
16GB DDR4 3200 MHz
120GB Samsung 840 EVO
250GB Samsung 840 EVO
1TB Seagate (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache)
1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
sls0991 View Drop Down

Quote sls0991 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 9:54pm
If you wouldn't mind Razorback, I'd appreciate that, but no rush! I won't have the funds to purchase for a few more weeks so I have all this time just sitting here and hopelessly waiting!

I just read a post about someone receiving a damaged PC (the case mostly) due to UPS shipping. I really love the way DS handled it and replaced the system. I'm in New York, so my Vanquish II is going to have quite the journey and that makes me pretty nervous! I did have a little off topic question for anyone who may have purchased and had their PCs sent to a PO Box. I have a PO box and I noticed that, that is an option for shipping? Would it be safer to have it shipped there or to my physical address? And with ground shipping, does UPS always require a signature before just dropping it off at your doorstep? I live in an upstairs apartment with a tricky entrance and my neighbors are sketchy little beasts so I'd be a wreck waiting for the delivery guy all day incase they just left it and they snatched it up! LOL.

And Snaike, thank you for replying, I was hoping you would. I've been semi-stalking your posts after I noticed you had purchased the Vanquish II lvl 4 and loved it. I enjoyed hearing all the positive things you had to say about it! I was pretty much sold on the system after that.

Edited by sls0991 - 31 Aug 2014 at 9:56pm
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 12:43am
Hello Sls0991, i had my pc shipped to my PO Box and i had no issues with it. Since you live in a apartment your best bet is to have it sent to the Post Office.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 3:12am
The Vanquish is built on the Corsair 230t so the dimensions won't change. Unless of course you see an entirely new case being used. Not a Custom , in house, built case like the Bolt.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 10:58am
Originally posted by bprat22

The Vanquish is built on the Corsair 230t so the dimensions won't change. Unless of course you see an entirely new case being used. Not a Custom , in house, built case like the Bolt.
Quite right. The reason I put in the caveat was that I received the Vanquish with the case lighting and black in color... apparently these were not an option later and I was not sure if anything else changed.

I would hope not, because this case is really sturdy and offers seriously good airflow, keeping everything nice and cool. (Besides having enough room to stick my big ol' gorilla hands in there to poke around and not break anything with collateral damage!)   
sls0991 View Drop Down

Quote sls0991 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 7:44pm
Stage 6 ya'll. LOL I'M SO EXCITED. The monitor and HDMI cable I ordered today FINALLY arrived. I didn't realize how big a 21.5" monitor was, LOL. It's bigger than the TV in my room and it barely fits on my computer desk, hah. I'm so bummed that I have to stare at it for a week until the computer arrives, but once the PC does I'll be ready!
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 7:58pm
just imagine what a 23 inch monitor looks like...lol. i went from a 17 inch to a 23 inch
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 8:01pm
Good luck, tell us how everything goes when it arrives Awesome
Razorback View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Razorback Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 8:11pm

If you wouldn't mind Razorback, I'd appreciate that, but no rush! I won't have the funds to purchase for a few more weeks so I have all this time just sitting here and hopelessly waiting!

I just read a post about someone receiving a damaged PC (the case mostly) due to UPS shipping. I really love the way DS handled it and replaced the system. I'm in New York, so my Vanquish II is going to have quite the journey and that makes me pretty nervous! I did have a little off topic question for anyone who may have purchased and had their PCs sent to a PO Box. I have a PO box and I noticed that, that is an option for shipping? Would it be safer to have it shipped there or to my physical address? And with ground shipping, does UPS always require a signature before just dropping it off at your doorstep? I live in an upstairs apartment with a tricky entrance and my neighbors are sketchy little beasts so I'd be a wreck waiting for the delivery guy all day incase they just left it and they snatched it up! LOL.

And Snaike, thank you for replying, I was hoping you would. I've been semi-stalking your posts after I noticed you had purchased the Vanquish II lvl 4 and loved it. I enjoyed hearing all the positive things you had to say about it! I was pretty much sold on the system after that.

Well crap. I completely missed this. I apologize! Glad you got one though!
ASUS Maximus Hero VIII
16GB DDR4 3200 MHz
120GB Samsung 840 EVO
250GB Samsung 840 EVO
StealthG6 View Drop Down

Quote StealthG6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 8:50pm
You should enjoy your new computer, if you ever have problems contact Alex, The guy does a great job at customer service. The 230T case isn't too big. Interested on how much you enjoy it be sure to write a review with pictures.
Apollo
i5 4690K 3.50 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon)
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
2x Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II 4GB
GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97
H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110 280mm Radiator
sls0991 View Drop Down

Quote sls0991 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by ArkansasWoman777

just imagine what a 23 inch monitor looks like...lol. i went from a 17 inch to a 23 inch

At the Staples store they only had 24 inch monitors and they were HUGE. I mean I'm worried about going a bit cross eyed or blind with the 21 inch, lol. There doesn't seem like much of a difference, but I haven't had a PC since like the 90s either and we all know what those looked like, lol. I've had a 13" laptop for the last 6 years, so this is an adjustment, lol.

No worries Razorback! And I'll definitely be posting a review with pictures, the whole nine yards. I'm just crossing my fingers for a safe delivery. And this reminds me that I have to purchase a few games, lol. I haven't even done that yet. I didn't want to get too ahead of myself. Macs just can't handle gaming like a PC can.
StealthG6 View Drop Down

Quote StealthG6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 5:07pm
You don't have to worry about size I have a 32 inch TV for my monitor on my desk, I might be hanging it up on my wall pretty soon and get a 4k one.
Apollo
i5 4690K 3.50 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon)
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
2x Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II 4GB
GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97
H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110 280mm Radiator
sls0991 View Drop Down

Quote sls0991 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 5:16pm
Shipped today! Ah, this is going to be the longest week ever.

Does anyone have any recommendations for wifi dongles, or whatever they're called? I can't connect the computer directly to the router as it's two rooms away. I'm currently having problems with signal strength in my room though (even though the entire apartment is around 900 sq ft.) I'm having the cable guy come out to hopefully fix that issue. I was looking at the Netgear N300 and N600 usb adapters. I won't be gaming online most likely, but downloads and streaming videos is my main priority for a fast connection. (The N600 is only $5 more at my local walmart than the 300, so I might just end up getting that one if someone recommends it).
Razorback View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Razorback Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 5:33pm

Shipped today! Ah, this is going to be the longest week ever.

Does anyone have any recommendations for wifi dongles, or whatever they're called? I can't connect the computer directly to the router as it's two rooms away. I'm currently having problems with signal strength in my room though (even though the entire apartment is around 900 sq ft.) I'm having the cable guy come out to hopefully fix that issue. I was looking at the Netgear N300 and N600 usb adapters. I won't be gaming online most likely, but downloads and streaming videos is my main priority for a fast connection. (The N600 is only $5 more at my local walmart than the 300, so I might just end up getting that one if someone recommends it).

Check this out: Wireless USB Adapters

Pretty much those dongles are all the same, IMO. Has more to do with your router and how many walls the signal has to go through in my experiences. I may be off and some are far better than others, but I currently use Cisco/Linksys (they used to be the same I think, not sure. It says Cisco). Linksys, Netgear, and others should work just as well. I wouldn't go too far from the beaten path though. Stick with a name brand.

Edited by Razorback - 16 Sep 2014 at 5:52pm
ASUS Maximus Hero VIII
16GB DDR4 3200 MHz
120GB Samsung 840 EVO
250GB Samsung 840 EVO
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 12:33am
As I mentioned elsewhere (too many threads to keep track of Confused) I have the Netgear N300... and it's fabulous for my gaming and Netflix streaming.  Others, I think Rockcem, have the Netgear N600.  Both are very very easy to install and come with a attachment so your dongle isn't hanging out of the case.

Good luck and stay distracted.. it's on the way!!! Drooling
 Post Reply Post Reply