FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vanquish II Level 4 with Wifi?

Post Date: 2014-10-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DapperDano View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DapperDano Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Vanquish II Level 4 with Wifi?
    Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 5:15pm
Budget:
2000 max, but hoping around 1500

Expectations:
Gaming PC that will last me years

Usage:
Gaming, java web development

Special Needs:
Wifi

Hey guys,

Looking for a cost effective gaming PC that will last me years and allow me to do some development and side projects. I *think* Vanquish II level 4 will satisfy my needs with a great price, but I need wifi. What would be the best way to add it? Also, my only other reservation is the 8 gigs of RAM, will that be enough?

Thanks!
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 5:17pm
You can buy a wireless usb adaptor off amazon and yes 8 gigs of ram should be enough although i think you can add more if need be

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 28 Oct 2014 at 5:18pm
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12

Quote DapperDano Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 5:28pm
I heard there can be connection issues for USB wifi adapters when the computer goes to sleep. Is that still true?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 5:54pm
Sleep mode can cause issues, not just with a WiFi adapter. I wouldn't advise using sleep mode. Many use it with zero issues and some have had major headaches. Just no way to tell, that I've seen.

Quote DapperDano Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 6:36pm
Thanks for the info. Also, would a 4k monitor make sense for this set up or just cause problems?
blackcatfoe View Drop Down

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 9:58pm
It would'nt cause problems since most 4k issues have been ruffed out and the drivers and OS compatibility are much better the one year ago. 4k really depends on the game titles you really plan on playing at 4k. While 8GB is fine many future games in development are starting to be designed on 64 bit only cutting away completly Vista and XP users. These titles while playable at 8GB will see a performance difference at 16GB of ram. Upcoming titles such as Dragon Age Inq. and Assassin's Creed Unity are only supporting 64 bit OS from what I've seen.

Another factor is amount of GPU needed for 4k. Since this is geater then 1080p the demand is much higher. While you can play most current titles on one card most titles average between 30 to 45fps on the 900 series for example. Take FPS titles and you can be sure you will need SLI for the best overall performance and higher settings.

If you really want smooth gaming at 4k an SLI 970/980 would be best for cost per performance. My friend recently got a 4k gsync monitor and while my opinion of gsync is a waste on a 1080p or 1440p, setup at 4k is clearly a noticable difference. While most titles in SLI averaged 40 to 60fps with the gsync monitor if felt like the gameplay was a consistent 60fps+.

Either way 4k is great but it will cost you over $1.5k+ just for the video card and monitor setup. If you have the cash go for it. My friend made me dislike my 1080 setup now that I got a taste of 4k.

Edited by blackcatfoe - 28 Oct 2014 at 10:02pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 11:14pm
From a Vanquish owner... Yes, wifi is very easy with a USB connection. Some of us here use the NetGear 300 or NetGear 600. With my ISP speeds the 300 is plenty.

Yes, Sleep mode will mess with Wifi. Bprat advises against it and I have taken to not using it myself. I now shut down everyday and I don't see the issues with the wifi anymore.

As Meller points out in another post here in the forums, 8GB RAM is very adequate for today's titles. If you're going to be pushing the limits, then opt for an addition later.

4K monitors will set you back more than the cost of the machine. If you have the budget, go for it, but if you're looking for a good all around machine on a budget, the Vanquish with a good 1080p will be just fine.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Tor View Drop Down

Quote Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 4:16am
This is one of the questions thats been on my mind too. The only one left would be which wireless adapter to go with? The Panda 300 mb adapter, Belkin N300, or Belkin N600?
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 8:29am
only difference, iirc, between the 300 and 600 is speed.. no sense in buying something that you're never going to use. I have <30mbs up and <4mbs down so the 300s work fine for me.

The panda gets decent reviews... I haven't looked at the belkins. When I bought the NetGear 300 it was because it was from the Radio Shack a few blocks from here and I didn't want to wait for it to be shipped.   
 Post Reply Post Reply