FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vanguish II Level 4 Upgrade Question

Post Date: 2014-10-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
here4payne View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote here4payne Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Vanguish II Level 4 Upgrade Question
    Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:15am
So I purchased a Vanquish II Level 4 in April of this year and so far it has performed great.  Only drawback for me is that it's becoming obvious that I will need more VRAM to play some of the newest AAA titles.  My current setup has a GTX 770 2GB.  I see that the latest Level 4 model has the new GTX 970 4GB GPU.

I was going to ask if my current 600W PSU and motherboard from model I bought in April would suffice for the GTX 970, but I guess that question has been answered since its now being used for the same model.  So my next question(s):

1) Has anyone else with a Vanquish II upgraded to the GTX 970 or 980?  Any issues?

2) I have never built a PC or swapped components, but I understand that GPUs are essentially "plug and play" so I want to give it a shot.  Any advice or websites/videos you guys could send me to to assist with this upgrade??

Thanks
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:27am
Upgrading to the gtx 970 should be a snap.   Just unplug the gtx 770 power plugs, unscrew where it mounts to the back panel, release the locking clip and remove.    The 970 goes right back in, reversing the process.   

The 770 I believe uses a 6 pin and a 8 pin power connector and the 970 uses 2x 6 pin connectors.    Just use the same connectors, just folding back the 2 pin connecter from one of the 8 pin.  

When it boots, the OS will install it.    You can then update the video driver whenever you want, when all has checked out.

Good Luck. Big%20Smile

Quote here4payne Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:37am
Thank you.  I'm really hesitant to mess around with anything in fear that I will do some permanent damage, but I guess upgrading my GPU is a good way to get my feet wet in terms of really getting to know PC components. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:40am
Yeah, the more you do the better you feel about the rig.  Nice to know what's what and does give a good feeling when its done.

Just unplug the rig and wear a static wrist strap to prevent any static discharge to the components.  Or, second best, is to keep touching metal to keep static free. 

Quote here4payne Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:40am
Also, nobody thinks there will be any bottleneck issues with my current CPU?

Intel Core i5 4570 3.20 GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS H81M-E (Intel H81 Chipset) (MATX)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:42am
Nope. You should be good to go.  It Turbo's to 3.6 which is pretty decent. 

Edited by bprat22 - 14 Oct 2014 at 9:45am
Razorback View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Razorback Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 12:29pm
So in relation to the original poster's topic, should I be saving up for a 4GB card (970/980) for future 1080p gaming? I am running Shadow of Mordor on at least high (several ultra) settings across the board at 50-60 fps with occasional dips below 50. Even have the texture setting on high even though it recommends Medium for 2GB. Is this something that will greatly hinder me at 1080 in the near future? I guess my conundrum is, will I be needing to buy some of these AAA games for my PS4 rather than PC for the better gaming experience because of the hindrance of the 2GB 770 or will the 2GB 770 still be a viable option for AAA games that could be bought for console as well?

Edited by Razorback - 18 Oct 2014 at 12:35pm
Intel Core i7 6700k 4.5 GHz (OC)
ASUS Maximus Hero VIII
16GB DDR4 3200 MHz
120GB Samsung 840 EVO
250GB Samsung 840 EVO
1TB Seagate (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache)
1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 12:43pm
I'm hearing that Mordor does suck up the vram.   Doesn't mean your 2gb card can't play it at decent settings but you might have to turn down some settings. I'm also reading that even on medium settings, it looks great. Depends what makes one happy.

I'm sure future games will get increasingly demanding on the vram and card in general. That's why every 2-3 years a new card is needed to stay at the same level. A 3 year old gtx 570 with 1.3 gb vram still plays everything out there but not at the same settings.

Edited by bprat22 - 18 Oct 2014 at 12:58pm
Ragevirusqq View Drop Down

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 1:45pm
i can offer a little here since i am currently playing shadows of mordor and have had played recently on the 770 and the 780. The suggestions in the game are confusing and misleading.

I have been playing it with one gtx 780 oc dcuii with everything maxed and get between 30 70 FPS and about a 60 FPS average. The internal benchmark with my system puts me at about 70 FPS.
 The key here is the definitley the distance setting. Even with a 770 i could play at over 50 FPS average on ultra with everything maxed at 1080p. But i had to reduce the distance setting. they will all work as well even with less vram just with more artificing, loading times and more heat generation.
I have to comment on consoles though because even the "next gen" consoles is a bit of a misgnomer here as they highest resolution supported is actually 1080i or in testing about 922p (game specific) and never over 60 FPS and seevral are locked at 30. The hardware is the PS4 and xboxone just cant support higher res or FPS without some pretty amazing optimization which just isnt there yet. Just like BP stated though if this is high enough res/FPS for you personally then by all means go that route. Its all about enjoyment and do what suits your needs, tastes and budget.
 Me personally, I prefer 1080p at very high FPS rather than higher resolutions at lower FPS. The fluidity of movement really helps with immersion for me.  easier games on hardware like Dota 2 locked at 120 FPS per second really makes a difference for me but someone else may not think its a big deal

The high res texture pack (which is a seperate download) is a different story though. this does add the ridiculous high texures that is I think for the1600P + systems or the new dynamic super resution scaling.   see Navs 4k vs 1080p youtube video for the difference here. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 2:20pm
There ya go. Good info.
Razorback View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Razorback Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Ragevirusqq

i can offer a little here since i am currently playing shadows of mordor and have had played recently on the 770 and the 780. The suggestions in the game are confusing and misleading. I have been playing it with one gtx 780 oc dcuii with everything maxed and get between 30 70 FPS and about a 60 FPS average. The internal benchmark with my system puts me at about 70 FPS.  The key here is the definitley the distance setting. Even with a 770 i could play at over 50 FPS average on ultra with everything maxed at 1080p. But i had to reduce the distance setting. they will all work as well even with less vram just with more artificing, loading times and more heat generation.I have to comment on consoles though because even the "next gen" consoles is a bit of a misgnomer here as they highest resolution supported is actually 1080i or in testing about 922p (game specific) and never over 60 FPS and seevral are locked at 30. The hardware is the PS4 and xboxone just cant support higher res or FPS without some pretty amazing optimization which just isnt there yet. Just like BP stated though if this is high enough res/FPS for you personally then by all means go that route. Its all about enjoyment and do what suits your needs, tastes and budget.  Me personally, I prefer 1080p at very high FPS rather than higher resolutions at lower FPS. The fluidity of movement really helps with immersion for me.  easier games on hardware like Dota 2 locked at 120 FPS per second really makes a difference for me but someone else may not think its a big deal The high res texture pack (which is a seperate download) is a different story though. this does add the ridiculous high texures that is I think for the1600P + systems or the new dynamic super resution scaling.   see Navs 4k vs 1080p youtube video for the difference here. 

Thanks guys! I am already playing Shadow of Mordor on my 2GB GTX 770. I am fine on high textures and highs across the board (even though it recommends Medium for 2GB VRAM). It looks absolutely beautiful in 1080p for me. I guess I am just wondering if that 2GB is going to hinder my quality all that much with games already asking for 4GB VRAM on minimum requirements (Evil Within) for say next quarter's games and further (Q1 2015). I usually only use my console for console exclusives (Destiny, Last of Us, etc.) I may go ahead and save up $50-70 a month for a while and get a new GPU in 6 months or so.

Edited by Razorback - 18 Oct 2014 at 4:24pm
Intel Core i7 6700k 4.5 GHz (OC)
ASUS Maximus Hero VIII
16GB DDR4 3200 MHz
120GB Samsung 840 EVO
250GB Samsung 840 EVO
1TB Seagate (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache)
1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 4:35pm
The evil within apparently plays fine with just 2gb of vram, it doesn't require 4gb of vram like a lot of people thought, thats just the ram itself not the graphics card.

A streamer played the game just fine with his graphics card and it didn't have 4gb of vram

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 18 Oct 2014 at 4:38pm
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12