FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading from AMD to Intel

Post Date: 2015-01-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mikeisonfire View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mikeisonfire Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrading from AMD to Intel
    Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 1:35pm
Hello! I'm looking to make another upgrade on my DS system, this time going from my AMD processor to Intel. Here's my current build:

Video Card: ASUS GTX 970 Strix 4GB
Processor: AMD FX-8150 (3.6GHz) AM3+ Socket
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 (AMD 970 Chipset) AM3+ Socket
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP (2 x 4GB sticks)
Power Supply: 600W Corsair GS

I'm looking at an Intel i5-4690k. Also, when switching manufacturers, I know that reinstalling Windows is the best thing to do. So here are my questions:

I have OEM Windows 7. Would I be able to use the same disc that came with my DS system?
I'm pretty clueless when it comes to MoBos, are there any recommendations for my setup?
Would an i5-4690k be a good idea? I'm looking into streaming and perhaps a second monitor to run a few applications at once. Would an i7 be more suitable? My main focus would still be gaming, I don't do any video editing or anything.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 2:15pm
i7-4790 is your fastest speed ( per core, on turbo.) But i5s are cheaper. i5 lacks threading, and may have less cache ( not sure on second thing.)

You should be able to install of any full windows install. If it's not a custom installer, you will need to update drivers. A wired connection can be handy for all the windows updates :)

RAM should work, but every now and again you hear of RAM working on one system and not another. I would not worry about such things until it happens

Note that changing motherboards requires a lot of rewiring as stuff changes places ( in case you have not done it.) It's almost as time consuming as building a system from scratch ( so if you are doing it, don't rush it, and give yourself time.)

Be sure to install all the proper drivers for the new motherboard ( aka chipset drivers.)

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 2:16pm
You should be able to install Windows with the same disk. As for the motherboard, it will have a disk with the necessary drivers you will need for it (you can also visit the manufacturers website, to download, too). You will install the drivers after you have install Windows.
 Post Reply Post Reply