Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hanz057 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hanz057 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrade Advice Needed
    Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 3:00pm
Hello DS & Co:
My rig has been great, but is getting old (bought from DS 4 yrs ago)...and I'm having problems running games.

Intel Core i7 860 2.8 Ghz (OC'd 3.7)
EVGA p55 SLI (Intel P55)
4GB DR3 1600mhz
750w Digital Storm Certified (dual SLI compatible)
500GB Wester Digital (16mb cache) (7200rpm)
GTX 470 1.2GB
Dual Noctua 120mm
Windows 7 Home Prem

My 470 has done well, but the fan noise has kicked up considerably and the newer games are topping out the rig.  DAInquisition is a game I'd like to be able to play without the fairly consistent stuttering and...ringing ears.

From the little I've read back up on, RAM and a newer GPU are necessary.  I'm considering 8gb Ram and a GTX 750ti.
I'm looking for compatibility comments (with my MB, PS), RAM suggestions (amount and type), and of course GPU thoughts.  I really can't spend much money (200 or less, preferably) , but want to run DAI cleanly on med settings and have a rig which can get me through the next couple of years.

Thanks!
hanz057
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 3:14pm
If DAI is your only game you seriously play, then you'll probably want to look at an AMD GPU.

They dominate the lower end of Anandtech's latest recommendations for GPUs: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8662/best-video-cards-october-2014

You'll also be able to take AMDs Mantle with DAI, too.

So it looks like you should look around for a good deal on a card like the R7 265 or R9 280 and get some decent but cheap 2x4GB kit of DDR3-1600 or -1866.
hanz057 View Drop Down

Quote hanz057 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 9:15am
Thx for the quick reply.  I don't know if its warranted or not, but since I've used Nvidia for the past 15 yrs, I'm inclined to stick with it.  That article was informative, however, so I'll think about as I watch prices.

When you talk about 'decent' RAM, I could use some pointers (brands specs) as I'm pretty ignorant. 
Also, additional electronic sales sites are welcome.  I usually begin with Newegg.

hanz0
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 2:10pm
I just meant RAM with alright latency timings...the slower the RAM, the lower the timings should be. Just about any vendor can knock out okay quality DDR3-1600 or -1866 memory these days...there are probably qualified vendor lists for RAM compatibility, but they have probably not been updated in a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply