Online Status: Offline
  Quote Smaghrouri Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Top End Config
    Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 7:37pm
Load ID - 934662

Hey DS! Just needed advice on a rig. Before you read any further,
1. I know this rig is 1000% overkill..
2. I know most of these components are not worth their price
3. That's not the point of this post :)

This computer is meant for gaming on max settings for the next 2-4 years on 1440p, possibly 1600p later. And after that period, it will be used as a work desktop for some graphic work, programming, scripting, and a little rendering.

My main question is, can it be improved? Are there any components that could be replaced for the better for gaming for the next 2 years? What parts will I need to replace once I start using it for work?

Thanks

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Hailstorm II Edition

Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish

Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish

Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 4960X 3.6GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition X79 (Intel X79 Chipset)

System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)

Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Platinum Series with Corsair Link (CP-9020008-NA) (Quad SLI Compatible)

Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)

Storage Set 1: 1x (128GB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 Pro Series)

Storage Set 2: 1x (256GB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 Pro Series)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Black 6GB (Includes PhysX)

Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 3: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Video Cards + CPU + Chipset)

H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)

Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)

Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)

Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software

Chassis Mods: Hailstorm II: Bottom Baseplate Mod (Cleaner Wiring Look & DS Logo Branding)

Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)

Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)

Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability

Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Display: Asus 27 inch Professional PB278Q
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 8:15pm
Well, you could always add more storage. Personally, I'd want 256 GB on my boot drive, plus more if I could afford it. You can of course add more drives later - the Hailstorm II (Corsair 900D) case can handle up to 15 total.

You COULD also add a third 780 Ti in SLI, but you'd be getting seriously diminishing returns, especially at 1440p. Sure, you might have to drop down from Ultra settings to High in 4 years time running Crysis 4 at 1600p, but you're about as future-proof as you can get right now. And those components will hold up just fine for work desktop use, unless you are running programs which require very specific hardware support.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 11:38pm
I agree with Counsel on the storage - I'd opt for at least a 256 boot drive. You can pick up a 1TB SSD for around $500 (or less in the future) and add it to increase storage...

I would also pass on the Noise Reduction package - the Hydolux system will reduce the amount of noise significantly and with the large window, you won't get a lot of noise reduction help in that area.

You could also drop down to a 1000W PSU unless you plan on adding a 3rd GPU (probably not much help in gaming on your current monitor and most graphics software won't utilize SLI very well either).
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Smaghrouri View Drop Down

Quote Smaghrouri Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 4:35pm
Oh wow I totally forgot about the whole storage thing I just clicked samsung pros. Anyway, yeah I understand a lot of visual software doesn't take SLI very well, thats why I chose Titan Blacks so when using such software I can disable SLI and still get quality performance. I chose the PSU I did for platinum, but if it isnt such a big deal I guess I can drop down.
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Smaghrouri

Oh wow I totally forgot about the whole storage thing I just clicked samsung pros. Anyway, yeah I understand a lot of visual software doesn't take SLI very well, thats why I chose Titan Blacks so when using such software I can disable SLI and still get quality performance. I chose the PSU I did for platinum, but if it isnt such a big deal I guess I can drop down.

Whoops, didn't notice that you were going Titan Black instead of 780 Ti - that actually increases the future-proofing value considerably. Certain games are beginning to test the limits of 3GB of VRAM, especially at higher resolutions, so the extra headroom on the Titans should be helpful. The much higher double precision compute performance could also come in handy when you want to use it as a workhorse machine.

As for the CPU - there are certainly benefits to using a Platinum PSU, primarily lower heat and longer warranties. And if you're using the computer for 5+ years, you may actually save money due to the higher energy efficiency. Overall, if you're spending so much on your machine, I think the extra dollars on a Platinum-rated PSU is money well spent. After all, that's the one component that's the most likely to destroy your entire rig if it fails.

Quote Smaghrouri Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 8:01pm
Yeah, this isnt the kind of purchase ill be making frequently, by buying parts like these i'm trying to make it so I dont purchase a computer for another... 5 years? 7 at the upper limits. Really depends on future tech advances.

Do you think its worth waiting for the GeForce 800 series instead of Titan Blacks?

Also, A friend told me I can get better performance out of two 780 ti's rather than two Titan Blacks. All benchmarks I checked don't agree with this, any backround?
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 9:04am
I think your friend might be thinking of the original Titans. The Titan Blacks are definitely above the 780ti. They do cost more but long term performance and graphics work will be better on them (compared to the 780ti)...

The PSU is also fine if it fits your budget. If it's more the efficiency your after then the 1200i is one of the best around...

Edited by fstcvc - 14 Mar 2014 at 9:05am
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 9:29am

Do you think its worth waiting for the GeForce 800 series instead of Titan Blacks?

Also, A friend told me I can get better performance out of two 780 ti's rather than two Titan Blacks. All benchmarks I checked don't agree with this, any backround?

I agree with fstcvc - your friend is probably thinking of the old Titan, which is indeed slower than a 780 Ti for gaming.

As for whether it's worth waiting - well, we currently don't know how long it will be until NVIDIA releases the GTX 800 (desktop) series, and we don't have any information on pricing or performance. We also don't know if the first generation Maxwell cards will have any teething issues that will only become apparent after launch.

In the GPU world, you'll almost always be able to get superior performance per dollar by waiting, and the release cycle is pretty rapid, with interesting new cards coming out more than once per year. If we had information a release was imminent, I'd say wait, but I'm not aware of any, so my advice is not to wait for the 800 series. That said, you should definitely psychologically prepare yourself for the fact that your brand new, absolutely-top-of-the-line components will be superseded by superior technology later this year. Fortunately, your rig will still be complete overkill for any modern game.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 9:32am
I know the feeling of something newer/faster coming out right after purchase. The 780ti came out about 2 months after I got my system but still very happy with my Titans!! Do I wish they were the Blacks - YES. But if I keep waiting for the next best thing, I'll never have anything.
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 10:42am
Originally posted by fstcvc

But if I keep waiting for the next best thing, I'll never have anything.

That's a brilliant philosophy.  Mind if I steal...  err, requote it?  Ninja
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 10:49pm
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme

Quote Smaghrouri Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 5:32pm
Haha thats something to live by.

I'm terrible versed when it comes to memory. Would I notice any improvements from 1866mhz to 2400mhz for Corsair Dominator Platinum?
Also, does DS offer any ram with better timings?
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 7:36am

Haha thats something to live by.

I'm terrible versed when it comes to memory. Would I notice any improvements from 1866mhz to 2400mhz for Corsair Dominator Platinum?
Also, does DS offer any ram with better timings?

I'm afraid the answer is somewhat complex, depending on processor, GPU configuration, and the game in question. Anandtech tackled the subject last September, testing out a variety of memory configs on Haswell with both integrated and discrete graphics. The biggest gains were most definitely for integrated graphics, as you would expect. If you look at the two pages devoted to discrete GPUs on the link above, you'll see that most games show little impact from changing memory speed and timing in the 1600-2400, CL7-CL12 range.

It's not clear to me if those results will generalize to your rig. That may also change in five year's time - as DDR4 becomes a standard, it's possible that bleeding-edge games will start to rely on faster memory speed. But then, if that happens, RAM is one of the easiest DIY upgrades.

Honestly, I think you're probably set with 1866.
 Post Reply Post Reply