Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: To Buy Now or to Buy Later...
    Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 7:54am
OK folks,
This is the PC I'm currently thinking about.  I was thinking of holding off until around Feb/March but this latest special may (or may not) get me to pull the trigger.  I'm currently using the Dell U3014 as a monitor.  I may go multi-monitor at some point in the future.  This is primarily a gaming PC but I do run some mapping CAD software also.  I've only used Windows XP so I'm a bit nervous about the Windows 8.1 but from what everyone is saying, it utilizes Direct X better so I guess I should go with the latest and greatest.  How painful is it without the Start button?  Finally, I did get a sound card.  However, is there issues with this sound card and Windows 8?  Finally, other than the price differential, is there any 'new' releases hardware wise coming out within the next couple of months that may be more beneficial that it may behoove me to hold off?  Any input is greatly appreciated!!  I typically buy and hold for multiple years (my PC now is about 8 or 9 years old - lol).  I'll also ask to add a fan from (Add additional front intake fans added for extra air from:  http://www.cmstore and match fan color to all Green. )  Here is what I'm looking at:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 4960X 3.6GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (ETA 12/07/13)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Platinum Series with Corsair Link (CP-9020008-NA) (Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Storage Set 1: 1x (256GB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 Pro Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB (EVGA Superclocked Edition)
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium HD 24-bit 96KHz 7.1
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Green)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Edited by Dax Doomslayer - 30 Nov 2013 at 7:57am
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 8:06am
Looks like a pretty epic build!!

Posted else where on the forums here, someone did mention an issue with the X-Fi and Win8. Although I prefer it's components over the Recon3D, that seems to be a better choice now unless you want to foot for the ZxR solution which is more $$.

Also you will probably be safe with Win8 standard and just upgrade to 8.1 for FREE. I don't think you'll benefit from any of the pro features.

And with such an epic build, you might want to consider the LED lighting (which allows changing of colors) or even the Hyrdolux light/cooling controller and it's lighting setup (also LED).

HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 8:48am
Looks great.Awesome
Not sure you need the 4960X cpu.   You could save almost $600 and go with the 4930k cpu.  The 4960x does have higher overclock potential and a larger cache, 15mb vs 12mb, but depends on how heavy you are into CAD, etc.

I'm also not sure DS will use the Noctua for a stage 2 overclock on a 6 core chip.   They'll let you know.   The HydroLux stage 1 with cpu under water might be needed for a higher oc.  

Just some thoughts.  Big%20Smile

Good luck.  
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 9:04am
Thanks fstcvc & bprat.  I appreciate the input.  Fstcvc, good catch on the Win 8 vs. Win 8.1.  It'll save me $56.  I'm not really into the whole lighting thing so the LED or Hydrolux isn't really of interest for the most part.  The standard 'color' type works fine but thanks for the thought!  It is appreciated. 

Bprat, as always thanks for the input.  I don't want to do water or those closed loop water options so if the overclock is less, I'm good with that.  It's not that big of a deal as long as it is stable. 

So do I back off the sound card to a lesser or greater model?  Also, how difficult is it to learn Windows 8 - lol.  Finally any input on if there are any 'big' releases to come within the next two or three months? 

I do appreciate everyone's help.  Bprat, you and fstcvc (meller too) and others are always so helpful.  I lurk a lot but am continuously reading and you guys do rock.  Thanks again.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 9:22am
Your very welcome.  Always a pleasure. Big%20Smile

Yeah, I like the Noctua, in case nobody noticed Hahaha, and going to stage 1 oc if needed would be my pick. 

That rig is gonna Rock. Strong
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 12:22pm
One additional question (along with the sound card and the 'hardware on the horizon' type of thing earlier), I'm assuming that x3 of the 780 TI ACX version of the card would be too warm even for the Haf-X case - correct?  Thanks again!
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 1:04pm
The X-Fi Titanium HD currently has issues with Windows 8.1

In regards to running 3x 780Ti ACX, It might put some more heat into the case but because the HAFX is so open, it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Nav - 30 Nov 2013 at 2:30pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 2:04pm
Hafx pushes a lot of air.   
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 8:03pm
Thanks folks.  To confirm, a triple SLI using the 780Ti ACX is doable with no fear of heat in a Haf-X?  I'm a bit paranoid about heat issues on a machine...Also, does anyone know if there are there any 'soon' (as in the next 2 or 3 mos) hardware releases (i.e. vidcard; processor etc).  If there are, I'd just wait a month or two.  If not, I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger with the deal being offered.  Thanks again!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 2:59am
No guarantees, but I'd be surprised if you had a heat issue. You can also ask DS to install the second 200mm fan on top. It comes with one but has mounts for two.

I haven't heard of any new generation of hardware in the next few months. Broadwell gpu is mid 2014 or so.   I believe there is a 780Ti Classified coming soon. Nav just put up a post on it. There's always going to be a new toy just around the corner.

Edited by bprat22 - 01 Dec 2013 at 3:14am
retirednavysnipe View Drop Down

Quote retirednavysnipe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 7:10am
Good Luck that looks like one Killer rig, Should play anything out on the market now and in the future (at least for awhile).

Hailstorm Black Ops
I7 3930K 4.5GHZ
16GB 1600MHZ ram
2 x GTX 680
120 GB SSD, 1 TB hardrive
Fully liquid cooled CPU, GPU and chipset.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 1:39pm
Thanks retirednavysnipe.  I buy a PC once a decade - lol - so I try to go the best I can afford at that time. 

Bprat, is it your recommendation that you don't do x3 ACX?  As I said, I definitely do not want heat issues.  I had it with one of my PCs and will not go down that road again...Hmmm - intersting about the Classified.  I wonder when this will be out.  Time to do some looking.  I'm not sure what to do with the sound card either. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 2:13pm
I haven't done sound cards in many years,so no help there. Some swear by a sound card and others are very happy with integrated sound. Depends what level audiophile you are.

The graphic cards decision is a tough one. I really think the HafX will have no issues but , if it was my rig, and I might take heat from this, I would opt for the reference 780ti's with single fan. I do like EVGA as the vendor and the ACX does give you about 10% better per card, and a bit quieter,but it is more stress on the card, more heat , and more fans to go wrong.   Is the ACX stronger? Yes. But , I like KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid.
My decades in field service have made me very leery of gimmicks, flash and more to go wrong.   Not that ACX is bad, it does have great reviews.

I'm glad it's your decision.

Not sure this helps.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 7:25am
Sound cards are hard to choose... I know many are going with the Recon3D and like it as it offered better than onboard sound. If you're more of an audiophile, then go with the ZxR as it uses higher end components.

As far as the 780ti goes - both the reference and ACX are great options but you do have more fans that could potentially fail as bp22 mentioned. If you pick the system up over the sale and get 5 yr warranty, then maybe not such a big deal if something happens to one of them. Just be aware of possible down time if this is your only/main computer. It's easier to go to extremes with a computer you're not worried about breaking down once or twice but could be a real headache if you've got a deadline looming and your rig is out of commission...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 2:19pm
Thanks bprat and fstcvc.  I guess I'll go with the Recon card.  It saves a couple of bucks also.  The 5 year warranty definitely helps for the video card.  I'm still torn which version to get though.  I'm figuring I will either go the SC or the ACX but with x3 ACX, I am concerned about heat.  Nav did mention it should be OK but heat problems are definitely an issue.  Also, now there looks like there's a "KingPin" edition coming out for the video cards but I think that is the same issue as it uses the ACX cooler set up I believe.  This would be a home computer and not for work and I guess I'll have my present computer as a spare if need be.  I'm not sure what direction I want to go...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 2:38pm
Good luck with a tough decision. Stay in touch.
ssgmike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ssgmike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 3:16pm
Best of luck looks like a real winner
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 7:00pm
Thanks folks - now to ponder on this.  My curiosity is peaked about the new information with regard to the Kingpin edition 780Tis... Hopefully this doesn't become analysis paralysis - lol!
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 8:18am
If the K|ngP|n version actually comes with 6GB of VRAM and you're mulit-monitor gaming, that could be an advantage but otherwise may not be worth the cost or wait... I also sometimes wonder how difficult it will be to ever replace a limited edition GPU if yours ever fails? Especially if you're running x3 SLI, you can't just replace 1 card with something else...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 8:30am
Good point fstcvc.  I am thinking of potentially going to multi-monitor though so that's actually what caught my eye.  With a 5 year warranty, the replacement becomes somewhat less of an issue unless DS can't find any.  Then I'd imagine that they would give something comparable and at that point I'd have to upgrade the other two.  I would assume I should probably be good for the next 2 to 3 years or so with the supply and would have to upgrade.  On that note, if one goes bad I guess I could still run it in x2 SLI couldn't I?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 8:33am
The 5 year warranty is 3 year parts. Whoa

I'm hearing the Kingpin might be $1000.  Just a rumor right now. 
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:53pm
Ahh - thanks for the clarification on the Warranty.  However, at $1K a pop, that may be too rich for my blood.  What would be better x3 SLI of the SC or ACX version or x2 of the Kingpin version?  Probably too hard to tell right now as no benchmarking has been done...
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 1:05pm
With nothing to go off of, I'd guess the x3 SLI SC/ACX SC will outperform the x2 K|NGP|N version. But that it is just a guess based on past comparisons of "overclocked" vs "extreme" types of GPUs. The 6GB of VRAM with the K|NGP|Ns is what would probably make more of a difference (at high resolutions, otherwise no) more so than a clocking/etc. performance difference between the x3 SLI and the 2x.

At 1,000$ a piece (if true) I'd need to say big differences between it and the SC version of the Ti to justify that price difference, even with more VRAM.

Edited by Tidgxor - 03 Dec 2013 at 1:05pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 1:06pm
The Classified Kingpin will probably be an unlocked overclocker's dream, but still sli won't be equal to tri-sli even with more vram, is my prediction.

Also, what Tidgxor said.

Edited by bprat22 - 03 Dec 2013 at 1:08pm
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 8:17am
Agreed with both above about the VRAM vs clock speed. x2 SLI with 6GB vs x3 SLI with 3GB is a tough choice. If running triple monitor, you'll probably be better with the x2 6GB cards. Might want to see if they release a reference 6GB 780ti as that might be cheaper and more in your price range to be able to go x3 SLI with...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 9:31am
Thank you bprat and fstcvc.  I think as of now, I'm not going to worry about the multi-monitor or even my fancies of a 4K monitor.  If I can confirm that there wouldn't be heat issues, I think I'm leaning toward the x3 780 TI ACX cards.  I'm also trying to find some benchmarks in 2560 (my Dell U3014) compared to the 780 TI SC and 780 TI and potentially vs. 4xSLI with just the 780 TI.  Nav's unboxing of the ACX version only shows it in 1080.  Going x4 of the stock 780TI is something that may (or may not - lol) be on the table...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 9:53am
Here's a link comparing the gtx 780 Ti and 780 Ti SC in 2560x1440 and 4K.

Also..

Might help ya. Big%20Smile

If your sticking to a single 2560x1440 monitor, then anything over sli gtx 780Ti or Ti SC is just wasted and idle gpu power, for the most part.  The more cards the poorer the scaling and each card contributes less. 

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 1:12pm
Thanks bprat - those are helpful.  As this is probably something that I'll have for a while, I do want to splurge - especially where I could eventually see myself upgrading the monitor or going into a multi-monitor set up.  However, I don't want to make myself crazy trying to 'future proof' it by spending tons of money now but I do want to have something like this as a viable option down the road.  I understand at present and probably for at least the next year I won't be doing this but I'd rather address it now if possible if not in a crazy beyond my budget type of way (if any of this makes sense).  How would I confirm about the heat issue and the ACX cards?  I'll add the fan to the top and I think another front intake fan which should help I would think. 

By the way, I do appreciate everyone's responses and patience with me as I work this through!!  It is most appreciated and sorry for all the histrionics.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 1:25pm
It's no problem helping you out. That's what we do.

I would doubt issues with HafX case but only one that has actually tested it in a reliable and trusted environment can say 100%. Your best bet is to call or email DS and share your concern. DS will give you an honest answer since they have to stand behind what they build.

Best of luck and let us know.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 8:03am
If your multi-monitor or 4k monitor is more than 1 or 2 years away, then I wouldn't worry about trying to get GPU power to run those until it's needed. In that time, who knows what will be available. This is the same theory that goes behind anyone who is ever considering SLI - if you're not doing it within the year, don't worry about having a configuration to support it as in that time a newer single card will most likely out power the current setup. Go for 2x SLI 780ti for now (more than sufficient for your current monitor) and either add a third/fourth card or upgrade your 2 cards when needed. Either the additional cards will be cheaper or the replacements will be more powerful - win/win!
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 11:56am
Well, I sent an email to DS a couple of days ago and still no reply about the heat issue.  If/when I hear back, I'll let you guys know.  I appreciate everyone's input.  
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 12:41pm
Thanks.   They might not even know for sure unless they have built tr-sli with ACX.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 1:26pm
Could be.  Although I would have thought a response back saying 'we aren't sure' would have been in order.  I may end up calling them.  It's looking like I may want to do this this month...Does anyone know when your credit card is charged?  Is it on order or upon shipment?

Edited by Dax Doomslayer - 06 Dec 2013 at 1:27pm
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 7:08am
CC is charged when you place the order...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 9:57am
Good to know - thanks fstcvc!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>