Thinking of getting a new laptop

Post Date: 2014-08-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Thinking of getting a new laptop
    Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 5:09am
Hey guys! It's been a while, but I'm back at the DS forums. You may remember me from my Bolt review some time ago. A little over a year ago, in fact. My machine is still working like a charm and I'm *very* satisfied with it. My previous desktops, usually bought from a competitor who will not be named, started slowing down and acting finicky after about a year, if that long, but my Bolt is still trundling along satisfactorily.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for my laptop. See, when I went to grad school in 2011, I bought a little laptop from the aforementioned competitor. That laptop wasn't so bad...it served me well for two years before I spilled some orange juice on it ;_; I got it repaired, but it was never quite the same after that.

I then went on leave for two years and just returned to my grad school recently. Thus, I wanted to buy a replacement laptop from the same competitor. Long story short, I was VERY displeased with their service, in fact it was one of the reasons I came to Digital Storm in the first place. They delivered my order late and their customer service was God-awful.

Still, they sent me my laptop eventually, and I was happy with it...for a time. As it turns out, I think it may have been simply too cheap to really fulfill my needs in graduate school. I'd thought I'd be too busy to really do much gaming, but the thing is, this laptop is so slow it makes it hard to do much work! It takes a couple seconds to load up an MS Word file, and often freezes up momentarily as I type. It slows down a great deal when I load up many tabs on Firefox or Chrome, and I need a lot of tabs to work--I have to keep an eye on my email pretty much every waking hour, then have tabs open for JSTOR, my online class servers, and then other class resources, and so on. But when I try to do so, this damn paperweight starts chugging and slowing down.

As I said above, maybe I'd just been too cheap. This thing only has 4 GB of ram and a 1.90 Ghz processor. It only cost me about 600 dollars (the competitors offered me a 50 dollar rebate to make up for putting me through so much trouble), but even so, a cheap laptop is a waste of money if it doesn't do its job properly. If I could go back in time, I'd tell myself, "Don't bother with these guys, they're a terrible company. Go to Digital Storm and buy from them, even if you have to pay more, it'll be worth it!"

(as an aside, a friend tells me that the exact same machine is now available for 250 dollars. -_-;;; )

Alas, I can't do that, and I'm stuck with this useless laptop. But being unable to do much work might become threatening to my graduate school career very soon, so I figure I might as well bite the bullet and get a better laptop now (particularly before Microsoft ends sales of Windows 7), even if I have to shell out some cash to do so. Thank God I have money saved up! So here's the configuration I was thinking of:

https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1039372

It's a pretty penny--nearly 1700 bucks--but I figure I'll be using this laptop to work even after I'm done with grad school in a few years, so it makes sense to spend a bit of cash. Specifically, I hope 16 GB of RAM will keep me set in case I have need of some intensive applications (better safe than sorry). I also might need a Blu-Ray player and writer because I might have to watch several movies related to my field of study (I'm in American history and I might have to review 12 Years a Slave, Steven Spielberg's Lincoln, and movies like that), and, again, never know when I might have to put a lot of data on a Blu-Ray disc, perhaps high-quality recordings of lectures I've given or whatever. I'm willing to spend so much because my previous experience with DS has shown me it's worth it. However, I do have a couple questions.

1:Should I get the premium paste? One of the few good things about my present laptop is that it doesn't give out too much heat. Would the more expensive premium paste be worth it for the Javelin? I often keep my laptop on my body when lying down or reclining, so I don't want to burn myself Whoa

2: What sort of damage does DS' warranty cover? Again, one of the few benefits of my business with the aforementioned competitor was that I could send my machine in to them for pretty much any reason and get it repaired, even if I spilled juice on it. Is DS willing to do the same for laptops?

A couple of n00by questions, excuse me for them:

3: What's the difference between the Javelin and the Lance? The processor, RAM, etc. for the cheapest listed builds are the same, but when I looked them up, I was told that the Lance has better speakers. Can anyone tell me more about the differences? (the Behemoth and the Krypton are a little too big for me).

4: I'm not a computer expert, so I figured I might as well ask...what's the benefit of having multiple hard drives? A common configuration I've seen, which is how I chose my current machine, is to have hard drive one be a Solid State with a smaller amount of space (~120-250 GB), while also having another main storage hard drive that holds around 750GB to 1TB of data. Might someone explain the benefit of this specifically to me? From what I understand, keeping system files on the smaller solid state drives makes the computer boot up, load, etc. much faster, while you use the bigger regular drives for your word documents, MP3s, etc. (i.e your normal daily use). Is that accurate?

5: Finally, just wondering, but does DS still offer an online chat service? What cemented my decision to buy the bolt was the excellent customer service Brian Benoit gave me via chat. I dunno if he's still around, but I do prefer an online chat as my first option for customer support, as it's easier to link to configurations and order numbers via copy and pasting rather than saying it out loud over the phone. Does DS still do that?

In any case, thanks for your time and assistance, everyone.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Online Status: Online
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 6:01am
The only thing I can help with is the last one you mentioned.  During normal business hours you'll find our friend and DS presence Asangard manning the online chat.  When he's online you won't be able to miss his chat box in the lower right.

Also, Alex and Nav have been known to poke around the forums on weekends and after hours... they would be most knowledgeable about DS systems and specs.  Keep your browser handy this weekend to see if they pop up again.

Wish I had more advice for you.  The better informed folks will be along shortly, I am sure.

I can say "Welcome back!" and glad to hear that you're still giving the Bolt some love. Big%20Smile
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 6:39am
Thanks Snaike :D I'll wait around a bit for 'em, then. Thanks again :)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 6:41am
For a laptop especially, I'd go with the premium paste.  Laptops run hotter than desktops and the better paste will transfer the cpu heat away more effectively.  A cooler running chip.

One of the difference between the Sager  7358 and 8258, Javelin vs Lance ,   is the 7358 can hold 24gb ram and the 8258 32gb ram. 

DS warranty is for defective parts and I don't believe covers accidental spills, surges, etc. 

You nailed it an the benefits of a SSD/HDD setup.

Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 7:26am
Oooof, no warranty for spills, drops, damages like that? Hmm, that's a lil troubling...it's sort of important to me, given what happened to my previous laptop. :/
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 7:34pm
Looks like everyone answered most of your questions, so not much I can add.  I'd recommend the Lance over the Javelin as well.  Definitely the premium thermal paste and a combo SSD/HDD setup.  Go for the 880M if you can swing it.  Don't settle for less.

And I had the same concerns as you did regarding accidental damage.  All my previous laptops were covered that way from another vendor, and I loved having that peace of mind.  However, I was willing to forgo that for the other advantages I got from going to DS, like having a laptop with exactly what I wanted, and definitely superior technical support.  However, each of us has to weigh the advantages and disadvantages based on our own needs.  Just wanted to let you know someone else had the exact same concerns.
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 8:33pm
Thanks roykirk! I did a bit of shopping around and found a competitor that did offer a damage warranty...for nearly 300 dollars extra ;_; It was a little cheaper, but a little weaker as well. I think I'll stick with Digital Storm, because even with the warranty my old computer vendor gave me (which will not be named ;) ), they gave me such terrible service that I won't come back to them. I'll wait for Alex to see if DS has any warranty options, though. Thanks again for your advice! :D
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 9:20pm
Thank you for being a Digital Storm customer!

I'm sorry but we do not offer accidental spill/damage warranty on our laptops. We're a small business that focuses on a niche market, so we don't have larger OEM type of warranty plans on our systems.

We do have live chat here, and yes, that same awesome person is here doing it.
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 3:27am
Aw, okay. So if I do spill something on my laptop again, what should I do? Could I send it in to Digital Storm for repairs even if I'd have to pay for parts, labor, and shipping? Question
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 4:07am
DS will fix it for you, just not under warranty.   They'll also for a fee, upgrade any system they sell.

DS is a full service company.   
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 9:06am
Hmm, alright. Well, I'll do some more looking, but it's looking more likely I'll go with DS again. Thanks guys :D
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 11:05am
Quality of service makes all the difference for me.  I spent decades in field service and can appreciate the quality that DS has delivered.   My emails for just general questions, a support ticket I set up and phone followup were all first rate.   Timely, professional and they were a pleasure to work with.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 01 Sep 2014 at 11:05am
Frenzi View Drop Down

Quote Frenzi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 4:56pm
Hey Gunlord, Although i'm still very new to the forums I can't help at putting my 2 cents in. I am patiently (well not really patiently) waiting for my new Laptop to arrive. I ordered the lance and am excited to try it out. I have always gotten my laptops from a "brand name" place and have to say their customer service stunk. There's nothing like talking to someone that just doesn't get it for 4 hrs and not getting a resolution to anything. I looked around at other brand name computers and was recommended to DS. I'm so glad I came here. My questions were answered by the fabulous people on this forum and after I ordered my laptop I was kept informed at every step of my laptop build. I HIGHLY recommend getting your laptop from DS. From what I've seen so far. This is the best placed to get what you want at a superior quality, get great customer service and have access to a fantastic group of people on the forum.

Edited by Frenzi - 01 Sep 2014 at 4:59pm
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 4:47am
Yeah, the customer service was why I chose DS the first time, too. Good luck with your new lappie, sounds awesome >:D
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 3:09pm
Hmm, OK, I've run into some shipping considerations...

So the thing is, I'm in grad school in Connecticut right now, but my home (and billing address) is in New York state. This being the case, when I'm going to checkout it tells me that I have to participate in a "verification process" if my billing and mailing address are different.

What's this "verification process" about? Is it difficult?

Secondly, I've been thinking...I'll be getting some presents for Christmastime. I'm wondering, how long with Digital Storm sell machines with Windows 7? I heard Microsoft is gonna discontinue it in October. However, if Digital Storm will still sell it for a while, I might wait till Christmas to take advantage of DS sales, perhaps :o
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 3:31pm
If your billing and shipping address is different on your credit/debit card then you have to go through verification. Easier to just wire transfer the money to their bank
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 3:55pm
OK...when I choose that option, it says a DS rep will contact me with info about how "to successfully execute a wire transfer to our bank account." What's the process for doing that? u-u
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 11:09am
Hm, yeah, after calling the office, it seems like I'd be a lot better off waiting to get home, back to my billing address, before buying a new lappie. I have a P.O box and I'm not sure they'll let me take big packages. So that leads me to a couple new questions.

1: How long with Digital Storm continue to sell laptops with Windows 7? I really don't want to use Windows 8, but I heard Microsoft is ending 7. Will Digital Storm be able to give me a Win7 laptop in, say, November, when I'll be back a little bit for Christmas?

2: On that note, will they have Christmas sales or anything like that? Waiting for Christmas might help me save a lot of money, so that could work out very well for me, actually :o
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 12:06pm
1. We should be still offering Windows 7 for a while, at least a year and more.

2. I'm sure we would have a holiday sale, but it will be similar to what we have right now, which is our Summer Sale.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 12:44pm
Post Offices are suppose to let you take big packages at least mine does, thats where i sent my pc to. Last i heard you can't send laptops to the post office. Microsoft is ending their support for Windows 7 but they still have a long ways to go before they officially end it.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 3:26pm
Alright, thats good then. Guess I'll wait till Christmas to get myself a new laptop. Thanks guys :D
 Post Reply Post Reply