FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Switching to a new case

Post Date: 2014-04-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ragevirusqq View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Switching to a new case
    Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 10:25am
Hello DS Community!

I am about to switch my recently acquired vanquish v1 level 4 build into a new case (thermaltake core v71 so i have more room and this new case looks pretty uber). I have been having some issues with airflow and gpu temps. i am going to use my water loop to cool the system from now on as the h60 included and air cooled gpu is not getting me temps i am comfortable with. I was hoping to get some thoughts about switching cases such as anything commonly overlooked with moving whole setup to a new case or any tips the community may have.

i have noticed when moving parts around a couple very minor things amiss with my DS build like fan cables from h60 fans poorly routed and kinked under the motherboard. (i actually had to cut a fan lead and replace it :()

Do i need to do anything special with backing up the MB settings to save the overclock applied and tested by DS?

since i am about to have a spare H60 laying around I am thinking of using it to cool the GPU. any thoughts with this? or has anyone done this before?

any comments/warnings/tips anyone has are welcome.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 10:42am
Changing  cases should go fairly smooth.   I would remove the graphics card and cpu cooler.  Leave the ram sticks and cpu alone.  Unplug the mobo from psu and drives and any fans going to mobo headers.   Un-mount mobo from standoffs and remount into new enclosure.   Install card, reapply thermal paste if needed for the cooler and then swap over the psu and drives.  if an entirely new cooler, a new mobo mount might be needed.  Reconnect the power cables  to the mobo, card and drives.  Plug drives into sata ports.  Hook up new front panel to mobo.   Hook up new case fans. 

The Bios settings along with overclock settings should stay the same.  Removing power from the mobo won't effect it.   

Wear a static strap around your wrist if you have one.  Don't want to zap anything. 

Don't think the H60 will fit any graphics card.  I'd leave that alone. 

The worst part will be just the cable routing into the new case. Hahaha

Edited by bprat22 - 24 Apr 2014 at 10:45am
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 11:09am
Use a grounding strap while working connected to the case. I generally wipe everything down with an old t-shirt (read lint free cloth ;-)). If you are changing the CPU cooler, you will need to a new thermal interface material. There are plenty of youtube videos for instructions.

Before you start turn off the switch on the back of the power supply. Leave the power supply plugged in while working so that it will provide a ground for the case. So the power supply should be the last thing out of the old case and the first thing in the new case.

As bprat22 says, pay attention to cable routing. I use plastic wire ties (aka zip ties), you can get them at most hardware stores.

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 10:02am
Thanks guys for the replies. Just finished and it looks and performs awesome. I took almost everything out so there is plenty of room for upgrades. I was able to cannibalize most of DS's Hard work on cabling so the cables look pretty clean also. lowered my temps by about 10 - 12 degrees in full load and 6 - 10 idle.

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 10:05am
meant 10 - 20 on full load. im guessing when the thermal paste fully sets this will either increase or settle or somewhere in the middle.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 10:38am
With 3x 200mm fans, that case must move a ton of air.   Nice job.  StrongBig%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply