FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sufficient cooling ?

Post Date: 2014-10-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Salman View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Salman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Sufficient cooling ?
    Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 5:54pm
Hey,

Recently ordered a Apollo level 3 with the additions of:
- Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz),
- ASUS Z97-PRO mobo,
-16GB DDR3 2133MHz RAM,
-1050W Corsair HX1050 power supply,
-2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (Includes PhysX) (Over-clocked),
with a,
-H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition).
and,
-Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans).

The question is whether the cooling system is enough to provide for all the over-clocking going on, sustaining cool core temperatures for long periods ?

Sorry for the newb question. Haven't really bothered doing much research before hand.

Thanks,
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 8:57pm
Salman, welcome to the forums and the DS family.

I'm not the cooling expert, but I have to point out that DS is going to stress that machine to the limit before it hits the shipping dock.  If there are any cooling issues (or any issues in general) they will have them under control long before you see the machine.

This is why we choose DS.  They are that good.

Cheers!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 2:36am
Just to follow up on Snaike's reply, the H110 with its 280mm rad should have no problem with your overclocking. Make sure the top is left open for the fans to work.

Instead of wondering and to check for sure, download the free HWMONITOR and run it while gaming and stressing the cooling. Cpu core temps should be 70's or low 80 Centigrade or less. It also checks the gpu.

Enjoy.

Salman View Drop Down

Quote Salman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 6:17am
Oh thats really neat.
Thank you both, Snaike and bprat22. Much appreciated.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 7:54am
Using a Corsair H110 to cool a 4790k will be plenty of cooling for your cpu. With the 110 using 2x 140mm fans, with the assumption that your cpu is sitting around 4.6ghz you'll be looking at high 20's to mid 30's for your average temps during daily use.

With an H110, until Prime95 for say 6 hours of 100% load, you'll be in the mid 60's possibly right around 70 max depending on your room temps.

The h110 is a great cpu cooler, though I'd recommend the H100i over the H110. While the H110i uses a 240mm over a 280mm, benchmark testing has shown it to be slightly better in keeping temps cool. But I recommended it due to the Corsair Link feature of the H110i. Should you choose to keep the H110, I'd swap our the standard fans that come with it for some Corsair AF140's. Unfortunately they don't have SP140's yet which would be amazing...

Corsair Link will automatically monitor your cpu temps and load to adjust how fast the fans spin. Helps with noise pollution in your room. And even if the fans were quite, why would you want fans running at 100% all the time anyways?
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Salman View Drop Down

Quote Salman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 11:01am
I see. Great info there Meller. Thanks.

The Corsair Link feature of the H100i sounds legit. So does the sticking with the H110 with the addition of AF140's though.

Changing the default fans of the H110 to AF140's though would defeat the purpose of making it the "quiet" cooler of the choices. Wouldn't it ?
How are Akasa Viper 140's in comparison to the AF140 ?

Thinking about all the specific comparisons overheats my brains lol. I think I might stick with the H110 though, with modded fans.

Bah. haha.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 11:38am
AF140's are just a nicer version of the standard 140mm fans that come with the H110. They aren't really louder, more in terms of the amount of air they push through compared to the stock fans is all.

Really, real world different between the two (stock vs af140) maybe a couple of degree's... max.

A corsair H110 with AF140's or stock fans or really any fans vs the H100i... the H100i will still win.

Better design, better fans on the rad, etc. Both are on par with each other on a non-overclocked cpu. But the i pulls ahead once you apply it to a decently oc'd cpu.

If you're going to stick with the Corsair H110, since you are hoping to get something like a 4.6-4.7ghz OC, while it may not be at the top of your list right away, I still recommend changing from those stock low-rpm fans that come with it.

Low RPM does = less noise, but depending on blade design on the fans, it could just be eh. I'll take a low rpm fat blade over a low rpm slim blade with barely any tilt to it because it'll push less air.

Things to consider for the long life of your PC. High memory clocks (2133mhz is decently high) creates more heat from the ram and from the chipset, not to mention it creates more heat on your cpu too. So while you're only liquid cooling your cpu, you're only using passive cooling on your ram and your motherboard. On top of all of that you also have your gpu in there blow hot air into your case. So having nice fans for the intake on your rad = more air flow in the case to help with that passive cooling. Keep your ram cool + chipset cool helps in stability on long overclock life spams.

Long story short. Get better fans than stock.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Salman View Drop Down

Quote Salman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 12:46pm
Thats awesome advice Meller. Thanks bud. Never did put much thought about the gpu, ram and motherboard temps, hence holding back to buy a custom cooling build.

H100i is the way to go, including modded fans then. Hoping that would provide for the heating from the ram and gpu's too.

Post Reply Post Reply