FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sleep mode booting issues

Post Date: 2012-02-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
gonarip View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gonarip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Sleep mode booting issues
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 3:03pm
My Computer has not been able to boot from sleep mode.I press space bar and it sounds like it wakes up, but my screen doesn't come on or my keyboard lights.I Always have to do a Hard shutdown to restart it.
I have a sandy bridge overclocked to 4.2GH I7 2600k P8p67 motherboad
I was told by the Tech Department at Digital storm back in June of 2011 when i bought the Pc that this has been an issue with this motherboard. I was wandering if anyone knows of an update or a fix for that issue. Otherwise My pc runs great. MY order is #16131.
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 3:15pm
Issues with sleep mode is a known issue with Windows and some conflict with a program you have installed or a piece of hardware connected to the system. It can be totally random and can come out of no where when you have not made any changes to your system. Some random program could have updated it's self and caused the issue.

The only to fix it is to play process of elimination and disconnect different hardware and disable carious background programs before putting the system to sleep. With that said it's easier just to not use Sleep mode. If you are going to be away from you computer for at least a couple hours just shut it down.

I used to use sleep mode all the time but it conflicts with my G15 so now I can't use it any more because my G15 is more important.

Kael View Drop Down

Quote Kael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 1:42pm
Hibernate can also be an issue as well, had my most recent rig overload the power on the USB ports after coming out of it and kill the drive controller on an external drive. Fried a few thumb drives as well.

If you want to disable it you can open the start menu, type in CMD in the search. Once that comes up right click on the command prompt and run as administrator. Next type in: powercfg -h off
Hit enter.

That will turn off the hibernation if you don't ever use it and save space on your HDD, freed up about 20GB on mine.

Edited by Kael - 15 Feb 2012 at 1:42pm
Brewtus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brewtus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 5:53am
I also experience the same problem with sleep mode. I called DS shortly after receiving my system. Davis stated that you cannot put your computer to sleep if your CPU is overclocked.

He didn't really explain why, but more or less said to never due it. I don't know how much I buy that, but that's what I was told.

Fortunately boot times aren't that long, regardless of SSD or not.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 6:04am
Yep, to all the above.

Simple fix is ....Don't Use Sleep Mode.

Some will never have the problem and others will have horror stories to tell.

It's too big a chance of things going wrong to chance, IMO.

Even with an HDD, and SSD are tons faster, boot to clickable icons is like a minute and a half. 
 Post Reply Post Reply