FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seeking Advice For New Notebook

Post Date: 2008-10-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
M.H. View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote M.H. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Seeking Advice For New Notebook
    Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 9:44pm
I heard of this site during a chat through a customer at work. I have some fair knowledge on computers and software, but I want opinions on the matter from people who are certainly knowledgeable on this matter.

I have never had a pure gaming computer, I have always been stuck with the family computer. Times have changed, I'm done school and have moved out. I have a fairly modest price range of around $1500 and at the same time want to try and keep it under $2000. I am interested in a gaming Notebook as I want something portable, yet also to use for post-secondary education.

I am interested in the 15" Power and Value model. The price range suits my needs, and seems like it could fulfill my gaming habits. I am looking at the default specs for it, but I am not entirely sure what might be worth upgrading and what I can afford to downgrade to possibly save some money if it's worth it.

This is what I see right now:

Chassis: Value and Power (Model: D2096) (Weight: 6.5LBS)
Display: 15.4 inch WSXGA+ with Enhanced Glossy Surface (Resolution: 1680 x 1050)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.40GHz (1066MHz FSB) (3MB Cache)
System Memory: 2GB DDR2 at 667MHz
Inputs: 3 USB 2.0 Ports / Gigabit Ethernet LAN / V.92 Modem / 3-in-1 Card Reader
Main Storage: 160GB (5400 RPM) (8MB Cache) (SATA Laptop Hard Drive)
Extra Storage: - No Thanks
Raid Options: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer)
Wireless Access: 802.11 A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
Features: Centrino 2 Montevina Platform / Integrated Video Camera / Fingerprint Reader / Bluetooth
Outputs: HDMI 1080P / VGA Port / SPDIF Audio / Headphone / Microphone
Video Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB
External TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office Suite: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Carry Bag: - No Thanks
External Cooling: - No Thanks
External Keyboard: - No Thanks
External Mouse: - No Thanks
External Speakers: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Full Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Labor & 1 Year Parts Warranty

I want to know if this is going to play almost any game released up to this year? Games I would be playing on average include Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike Source and other First Person Shooters. I play medium to low requirement games, I suppose I would call it. Once Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 come out, those will join games I would play on a regular basis. I want the ability to play games that are a bit more demanding, and at a reasonable pace that allows me to actually play them.

To wrap this up, I have a few questions.
1.) From the games I listed, and games that are currently coming out this year and next year, would the processor be strong enough? Should I consider upgrading?
2.) Regarding memory, would bumping it up to 2GB DDR-2
@ 800MHz show a noticeable difference? Would it be worth upgrading to 4GB in my scenario?
3.) 160GB of memory is very reassuring for how much memory I use. I see no point in downgrading to a lower capacity to save a couple dollars, but would upgrading to the 160GB with the faster RPM give an advantage? I'm not to knowledgeable when it comes to hard drives.
4.) Is there anything that I should add that comes up as "No Thanks" or any other components?

I probably also won't be able to buy my laptop until early next year, so would I be safe to wait until then or would a laptop in my price range not change much between now and than?

A helpful response will be much appreciated.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 9:52pm
go with 4GB of ram and choose vista 64bit premium.

I don't play games on PC so I can't tell you how new games and those games with do with that card. I think your CPU is good but I think the "T" model is better.

a 160GB HDD is good but a 7200rpm HDD would be better.

oh ya the prices are gonna change by the time you are ready to buy, so I would say you need to do a whole new config by that time and see what is available.
 Post Reply Post Reply