FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing Dead LED Performance Fan

Post Date: 2014-02-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HandsomeP View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HandsomeP Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Replacing Dead LED Performance Fan
    Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 11:51pm
One of the three LED performance fans on the top of my Hailstorm started making rattling noises that grew progressively worse over the past 3 days. I tried pushing down on the metal mesh of the chassis over the fan to see if a little tightness would stop the rattling. After doing that a few times the fan died (it was likely going to fail soon anyway).

I was wondering if someone could lend a hand on the process of replacing the fan... I see 12 screws on the top of the chassis (four for each of the three fans). Can I unscrew those and remove the top of the chassis?

Is it easy to disconnect the dead fan and connect a the new one?

Can I order a replacement red LED performance fan via Digital Storm?

Thanks a bunch for any assistance. :-)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 6:25am
Hi HandsomeP....  Funny. that's what everybody calls me.  Hahaha   Yeah, right. Big%20Smile

Anyways... I'm thinking you have a 240mm or 360mm rad up there?  I don't have that 800D case, but if I remember correctly, the screws go through the top grate, through the fans and into the rad below.  You'd probably have to remove all 12 screws, drop the rad enough from below, supporting it of course, and slide the fan out.  Connecting the fan is just tracing where the wire goes, maybe to mobo header, unplugging and reversing with new fan. 

Not sure the fans you have, but it's probably cheaper to go to Amazon, Newegg, etc for a new fan, but DS could certainly help if that works better for you.

Good Luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 15 Feb 2014 at 6:26am
 Post Reply Post Reply