FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

rehabbing an old computer

Post Date: 2014-04-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Keenque View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Keenque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: rehabbing an old computer
    Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 9:21am
First, some history:

I have a Gateway computer that I bought in the spring of 2009. I don't recall the model but I can get that later if I need to (I am here at work, the computer is home). At the time it was pretty decent (for me); I think I paid about $1700 for it. It has Vista on it.

It is no longer my primary computer [I bought a DS rig a few months back]. Over the years I've added ram, replaced the power supply, and upgraded the graphics card after the original failed.

The computer is in a bad state. Probably, I'm guessing, due to the software. It often won't boot up right (no image on the monitor), sometimes when it boots it either wants to run CHKDSK or it asks if I want to run in Safe Mode. When it runs CHKDSK it locks up after a while. Often when trying to boot in Safe Mode it just locks up. When I finally do get it up and running it often locks up. I can't even get the Task Manager up. So it's pretty useless to me at this point.

Right now my priority is to get my data off it. Photos, documents, and such. I'm trying to copy all that to an external drive. Even that has issues. Halfway thru while copying folders last night it just locked up. Heck, it took me an hour before it even recognized that I connected an external drive.

Once I get everything of value off it I would like to do something to make the computer useful again. I would also like to tinker. I am asking here for options and/or opinions. I don't anticipate ever using it as a gaming rig again. Email, maybe some photo editing, web surfing... things like that is probably what I'd use it for. My inclination is to just do a fresh install of a new OS. Maybe Win 7. Or maybe I'll experiment with Linux. Maybe it's possible to partition it so I have a couple different OS's??

I want to use this as an opportunity to experiment and learn. But I've never installed a new OS. I don't know that doing that will even solve the issues with the system. Maybe I have some bad hardware. I am not opposed to spending some money on it.

So any advice is welcome. Once I have everything of value copied off the rig, what are my options for restoring the computer to a useful state? Help me get my geek on!

Thanks for reading (and hopefully replying!)
~ Keen
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 10:09am
One thing I would recommend is a USB SATA/IDE adapter --- looks something like this......

Remove the old drive from your gateway and plug it into this unit, and the UBS into your new DS rig. The DS rig should recognize the old drive and you can move all the data you want without having to get into the OS on the old drive.

I was turned on to these things by bprat (who else?) when I was concerned for a boat-load of data (10 years worth) that I absolutely have to migrate to the new machine.

As for the rest, I'll just step out and let the experts in to do their thing.   
Keenque View Drop Down

Quote Keenque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 10:32am
Oh hey, that could be just the thing I need! Thank you very much. I'll look into that for sure.
~ Keen
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 11:10am
That's a good idea, Snaike.  Big%20Smile

Keenque.... If CHKDSK keeps freezing then it is possible the HDD is going bad.  If could also be just corrupted files on it.

After getting all your info transferred i would run a HDD diagnostic routine on the drive.  HD Tune, HDD Scan, or a manufacturer's utility for that drive should work.

Then re-install a fresh OS on the drive, selecting to wipe the drive if you get the option and going from there.

Might be worth the time to, with all the issues, to reseat all the plugs to mobo, video card, drives etc, reseat the ram and video card and blow it clean of any dust.

If the Gateway propriety mobo has a cmos reset jumper, then resetting cmos might clear any gremlins sneaking about.  But that could be after you do the rest and see how it runs.

Could be fun trying to bring it back to life.  If not, a 12 gauge works great.  HahahaBig%20Smile

Let us know.

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 11:17am
Originally posted by bprat22

If not, a 12 gauge works great.  HahahaBig%20SmileLet us know.

PULL!

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 11:21am
LOLLOL        Here birdy  birdy.    Clay, of course.  Big%20Smile
Keenque View Drop Down

Quote Keenque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 1:40pm

If CHKDSK keeps freezing then it is possible the HDD is going bad.  If could also be just corrupted files on it.After getting all your info transferred i would run a HDD diagnostic routine on the drive.  HD Tune, HDD Scan, or a manufacturer's utility for that drive should work.

I'll see if I can do that. Assuming that I can even get online to access one.

Then re-install a fresh OS on the drive, selecting to wipe the drive if you get the option and going from there.

Yeah, that is what I'm thinking too. I do want to try Linux but also Win 7 as well. I'm just not sure how to do both.

Might be worth the time to, with all the issues, to reseat all the plugs to mobo, video card, drives etc, reseat the ram and video card and blow it clean of any dust.If the Gateway propriety mobo has a cmos reset jumper, then resetting cmos might clear any gremlins sneaking about.

I had not thought about checking all that.

No idea how to reset cmos...

Thanks for all the tips!

oh, and regarding the USB to IDE Adapter, now that I think about it, I have several old computers (pre-2000) that I'd like to look at. That adapter would probably work for those too. I'm hoping.
~ Keen
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 2:04pm
Luckily, the HD Tune can be used on your new DS rig with the old drive hooked through the USB port, like the one Snaike mentioned.

The cmos reset is a last resort if at all, but most mobo have a cmos battery, a coin shaped battery that can be removed for several minutes and then put back to reset it.

I've never set up dual boot.
Keenque View Drop Down

Quote Keenque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 2:19pm
It has not been a pressing issue for me so I've not put much thought into it but... replacing that cmos battery on my old machines may do the trick to allow them to boot up. Crazy I know.
~ Keen
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 1:43am
The adapters like the one above come in USB 2.0 and 3.0. If you have a serious amount of data to move, it might be worth the extra $5-$10 to get the USB 3.0 with the higher data transfer speeds.

*Edit... below...

USB 3.0 Sabrent from Amazon - $24.99

it's little brother, the USB 2.0 - $14.99

These two come highly reviewed and recommended.

Edited by Snaike - 12 Apr 2014 at 2:55am
Keenque View Drop Down

Quote Keenque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 11:52pm
Well things are not going well retrieving the data. I purchased a USB3 adapter and hooked it up. I don't know if my drive is just bad or what. It spins up fine with no odd noise and seems to maintain speed and all that. Windows 8.1 recognizes it, beeps, and bring up the folder thing (where I can see all the drives). It assigns it H: and starts to read it. Then... another beep and the H: drive disappears. Anywhere between 5 and 10 seconds later it shows up again and starts to be read (I see the status bar at the top). Bang... it's gone again. This process of seeing it, giving it a drive letter, reading it, then stopping, repeats itself over and over again.

I rebooted, reconnected, tried all I could think of but still can't make any progress. Either the adapter I got is bad, or my hard drive is bad.

Any thoughts would be welcome.
~ Keen
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 3:14am
Tough to say what it is. To me its either a bad drive or power to it isn't enough.   I'm assuming that adapter uses external power and not USB Power. USB might not have enough juice on its own. You could also run a HDD diagnostic program like I mentioned above to check for bad sectors which will cause this issue.

If it was me, I would mount the drive inside your new rig, using a Sata power cable from your psu and Sata data cable right to your mobo. This bypasses the adapter if it's bad.   
Keenque View Drop Down

Quote Keenque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 12:51pm
Yes, it does have it's own power source.

I forgot about the HDD diagnostic program you had mentioned. Thanks for the reminder. That HD Tune is a program that is currently on my DS rig?

Hopefully the adapter is not bad since I just bought it but I guess that is no guarantee. If I do have to install it inside my DS, I'll probably be asking for more help. I don't have the Sata cables you mentioned unless they are already inside the rig.

Thanks again.

~ Keen
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 1:11pm
Go to HDTune.com for the diagnostic program. Scroll down to the free HDTune 2.55 . The Pro version is not free.

There is also Windows scandisk and others you can try but HDTune and scandisk work.

For cables to the drive, I'm not sure what the old drive needs but behind the right cover, within the cables from the power supply, should be extra 4 pin peripheral power cables or Sata cables to power the drive. Whichever fit but not both. Also, you'll need a Sata data cable from drive to Sata port on the mobo.   Your accessory box from DS might have an extra. If not , Amazon, local box store will have them.

Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply