Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bosboi View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bosboi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Razer Blade vs x17
    Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 3:31pm
I just ordered my Digital Storm x17 and am sweating over how excited I am for it to come! But recently my friend just a Razer Blade...
And he has been telling me how much my computer sucks and his rules...
So my question is, what is your guys opinion on this matter?
Do you think that the x17 or Blade is superior?

Thanks For Your Thoughts... : )
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:04pm
Post your specs so we can compare. IMHO the razor blade has some cool novelty stuff but it's all about the CPU and GPU at the end of the day. I just watched a review and the small screen didnt look exactly responsive to me.
Bosboi View Drop Down

Quote Bosboi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:10pm
The specs were everything level in level 2 except I upgraded my graphics card to a Radeon 7970...
Also, is that even a good graphics card?
Like will it preform well on games like Witcher 2 (which will be the most demanding game I will be playing).
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:32pm
I did check out the Razer before ordering my x17. The Razer has a lot of bells and whistles compared to the x17 but for gaming I don't think how the machine looks or how many lights doess it have matters as much as what's under the hood (keyboard).

We all know that a laptop is never going to pack the same horsepower as a desktop because of size and heat limitations. If I'm going to pay the big bucks for a laptop, I want all my money to go towards parts and great customer service. I honestly don't care what it looks like; I just want it to scream.

Everybody will rave about the brand the bought just as your friend raves about his and disses yours. I say: "Who cares?" If you're happy with the hardware you bought, then it doesn't matter what it looks like.....in my humble opinion.

oh...btw...these were 2 of the many reviews I read before ordering my x17

edit: and, yes, great move on upgrading to the 7970M. Everything I have read about it has been fantastic. I'm looking forward to mine. I think if the 7970M had been available on the MaximumPC review, it would have gotten the kickass award. Remember.....paying for superior customer service is something people forget but is so important.

Edited by Bobby - 17 Jun 2012 at 4:36pm
Bosboi View Drop Down

Quote Bosboi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:37pm
Ok thanks a lot!
But would you know anything about the card I purchased preformance wise?
Bosboi View Drop Down

Quote Bosboi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:38pm
Oh actually sorry about that my computer didn't see that last part my bad...

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:41pm
For gaming I'd much rather had the DS x17. His has a SSD which is nice but that's all that I can see the Razerblade having on your laptop as you ordered it IMHO. Your GPU looks better to me.
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:43pm
No worries...I was probably editing my post as you were reading it. I've done a lot of reading since the second batch of 7970M's were released the past week. The general consensus is that it's a great card and people have been very happy with it. There is the usual issues with the driver but that happens with every new card. AMD will push updates to help with specific games. I'm going to run Microsoft FSX with mine so I'm real curious how the 7970M is going to process photoscenery on the fly from the secondary drive. I'll post pictures late next week after mine arrives.
Bosboi View Drop Down

Quote Bosboi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:46pm
And what do you guys think the life will be on this thing...
Do you think it will be able to keep up with the games coming out soon?
Because obviously it is a little more difficult to upgrade a laptop than a desktop...
Not to mention I'm a little broke now so I won't be buying any new computers anytime soon...
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Bosboi

Ok thanks a lot!
But would you know anything about the card I purchased preformance wise?

Orange7 View Drop Down

Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:49pm
Just to make it obvious which is better, let's see what you can get for 2800 dollars from each (just because the Blade can only be gotten for $2799, so any other price would be an arbitrary comparison).

Razer Blade ($2799):

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor Dual Core w/ Hyper-Threading – 64Bit CPU: 2.8GHz (Base) / 3.5GHz (Turbo)
Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
17.3” Full HD 16:9 Ratio, 1920x1080 LED Backlit
Integrated Intel® GMA HD – Mobile Mode
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M 2GB DDR5 VRAM Using NVIDIA Optimus™ Technology
256GB SATA III SSD w/ TRIM Support
Razer™ Switchblade User Interface
Razer™ Anti-Ghosting Keyboard
Razer™ Synapse 2.0 Enabled
Built-in HD Webcam (2.0MP)
Built-in Speakers
Integrated Digital 7.1 Surround Audio Support (via HDMI 1.4) Dolby® Home Theater® v4 Audio
1x HDMI 1.4 Audio and Video Output (Supports NVIDIA 3DTV) 1x USB 3.0 2x USB 2.0
1x 3.5mm Audio Microphone/Headphone Combo Jack
1x Kensington Lock
Integrated 60Wh Battery
Compact AC Adapter (120Watt)
1x Gigabit Ethernet Port
1x Integrated Intel Wi-Fi 802.11 B/G/N
1x Integrated Bluetooth® 3.0
Width: 16.81 inches (42.7cm)
Depth: 10.90 inches (27.7cm)
Height: 0.88 inches (2.24cm)
Weight: 6.4 pounds (2.92kg)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Digital Storm X17 ($2788):

Chassis Model: Digital Storm x17 Laptop (Model: 9170)
Display: 17.3 Inch (16:9) (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Glossy Surface) LED-Backlit Display
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820QM (2.7 GHz Turbo Mode to 3.7Ghz) (Quad Core) (8MB Cache)
Thermal Compound: Premium IC Diamond CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise)
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
Primary Hard Drive: Intel 120GB SSD (520 Series) (SATA 6Gb/s)
Secondary Hard Drive: 500GB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
Optical Drive: DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)
Wireless Card: Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1103 (Reduces Latency for Online Gaming)
Video Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M 4GB with NVIDIA Optimus Technology (ETA End of June)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty
8.60 LBs with Battery Pack
16.22" (w) x 10.87" (d) x 1.65"~1.79" (h)

As you can see, the DS X17 kicks the crap out of the comparably priced Razer Blade. The processor and the GPU would destroy that of the Blade, and it comes with a three year warranty. the only section where the Blade beats the X17 is the size, being both lighter and thinner.

Edited by Orange7 - 17 Jun 2012 at 4:53pm
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:50pm

And what do you guys think the life will be on this thing...
Do you think it will be able to keep up with the games coming out soon?
Because obviously it is a little more difficult to upgrade a laptop than a desktop...
Not to mention I'm a little broke now so I won't be buying any new computers anytime soon...

Since you got the level 2, you have plenty of upgrade options with the CPU and RAM if needed for the future and the 7970M is cutting edge for today so I'd say you are fine.

edit: spelling

Edited by Bobby - 17 Jun 2012 at 4:51pm
Bosboi View Drop Down

Quote Bosboi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:55pm
Great! And what exactly is the advantage of SSD? Is it just faster? And I have some acccesories that I'd like you opinion on as well...
So far I have recieved:
Razer Naga
Razer Nostromo
Razer Vespula
Razer Onza
Astro A40
I am aware of how many Razer products I got (lol). But I felt like accesory wise Razer is the best...
But what do you guys think?

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 5:02pm
SSD is a little more rugged for travel (no moving parts), uses less battery and faster. When you have some extra cash you could always upgrade to one. But that certainly isn't needed. You got a more powerful PC where it counts for gaming.

I can't give any opinions on your razer gear. I'm a logitech kinda guy.
Bosboi View Drop Down

Quote Bosboi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by AndydViking

SSD is a little more rugged for travel (no moving parts),.

Oh, but will my regular standard hard drive be harmed if I travel a little?
Like for example I was planning to bring this to my friends house maybe every other weekend...
Unless that is he comes over to my place. But that's not the point...
Orange7 View Drop Down

Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 5:08pm
SSD's are faster, and the lack of moving parts enables them to handle rougher conditions, however, there R/W speeds decrease during extended writing and they can only be overwritten a certain number of times before they become defunct. SSD technology has become a lot better over the years, and they are now beginning to rival HDDs in longevity and are getting closer in price.

However, an HDD still takes a decent amount of shaking to get it to mess up horribly. Dropping it from four or five feet would definitely ruin it, but tossing it in a backpack and walking or driving will not harm it.

Edited by Orange7 - 17 Jun 2012 at 5:12pm
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
Bosboi View Drop Down

Quote Bosboi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Orange7

However, an HDD still takes a decent amount of shaking to get it to mess up horribly. Dropping it from four or five feet would definitely ruin it, but tossing it in a backpack and walking or driving will not harm it.

Ah sweet! Thanks...

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 5:15pm
Your regular HDD will be just fine. SSD's are just a newer tech and have some slight advantages in some areas. Nice if you can afford it but certainly not in any way needed.
Bosboi View Drop Down

Quote Bosboi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 5:18pm
Ok cool...
And what do you guys like to play with your computers?
I already know what games I getting but maybe you guys know of something better...
I really just like all genres!
I love shooters but have been moving towards RPGs recently since I got into the Mass Effect series...
redkulaid View Drop Down

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 6:39pm
Just wait till you get your x17, and your friend stops the talking. 7970m is top of the line card, 680m by nvidia being the other. Razer shot them selfs in the foot, the 555m is not that great. You wont be able to max out settings like the 7970m will. Also, the x17 has two hard drive bays, Blade does not, you limited to the SSD it comes with. As Orange posted, you can get a lot more with DS vs the Blade for the 2800$ price tag, with the only plus side of the blade being its size. Ppl have had issues with their built in mouse/trackpad as well.

Astro A40 is nice, I have two myself, with the razer mamba mouse. Razer does have good products, I just think their first computer was a bit to much money for what they were offering.

I ordered my x17 late last month, it will be here Thursday, cant wait. I went with the 7970m even with the 680m being released shortly after my order, due to the reviews it has as of now. I can OC the 7970m and beat the 680m, as no one knows how the 680m will OC, if it will at all.

Enjoy when you get it, and just watch your friend shut his mouth all together when your getting a lot better performance for less $$
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 8:10pm
Yea that razor isnt that good... >.>  and.. their customer service on simple things like mice sucks from my experience.

So...

Yea..

I don't understand how this was even up for contest. :D
Bosboi View Drop Down

Quote Bosboi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 3:57am
Originally posted by redkulaid

Just wait till you get your x17, and your friend stops the talking. 7970m is top of the line card, 680m by nvidia being the other. Razer shot them selfs in the foot, the 555m is not that great. You wont be able to max out settings like the 7970m will. Also, the x17 has two hard drive bays, Blade does not, you limited to the SSD it comes with. As Orange posted, you can get a lot more with DS vs the Blade for the 2800$ price tag, with the only plus side of the blade being its size. Ppl have had issues with their built in mouse/trackpad as well.

Astro A40 is nice, I have two myself, with the razer mamba mouse. Razer does have good products, I just think their first computer was a bit to much money for what they were offering.

I ordered my x17 late last month, it will be here Thursday, cant wait. I went with the 7970m even with the 680m being released shortly after my order, due to the reviews it has as of now. I can OC the 7970m and beat the 680m, as no one knows how the 680m will OC, if it will at all.

Enjoy when you get it, and just watch your friend shut his mouth all together when your getting a lot better performance for less $$

Thanks. I'm getting mine Thursday too! So I guess Thursday will both be one of the happiest days of our lives.
But how exactly do you OC a 7970m? Isn't there a possibility of severe damage to the computer? Is there a way to do it safely?
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 6:39am

Read that review - your poor friend. Cry

What a waste of 2800 dollars.
redkulaid View Drop Down

Quote redkulaid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 12:07pm

Originally posted by redkulaid

Thanks. I'm getting mine Thursday too! So I guess Thursday will both be one of the happiest days of our lives.
But how exactly do you OC a 7970m? Isn't there a possibility of severe damage to the computer? Is there a way to do it safely?

Well I talked to Alex, and OC is allowed. I plan on the 950/1400 OC, that way it wont push it to its limits, and it wont cause a lot of heat increase as well. It can go more, but really, this is what most ppl do to the 7970m. Just download MSI afterburner, and OC the   Core to 950mhz, and memory to 1400mhz. I might tweak my processor as well, but it all depends.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 12:15pm
Well said everyone, you're going to get a lot of more value for your money with a Digital Storm gaming laptop as everyone has said. I'm sure you will love it! Make sure you post photos and a review when you get it. Big%20Smile
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 12:35pm
Is it weird that I thought this thread was going to be about testing the scratch resistance of the x17?
Orange7 View Drop Down

Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Is it weird that I thought this thread was going to be about testing the scratch resistance of the x17?

Yes.
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 12:40pm
    It took me a second to get it.   
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by bprat22

It took me a second to get it.   

Still doesn't get it.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 12:46pm

Hahaha.

Bosboi View Drop Down

Quote Bosboi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Alex

Well said everyone, you're going to get a lot of more value for your money with a Digital Storm gaming laptop as everyone has said. I'm sure you will love it! Make sure you post photos and a review when you get it. Big%20Smile

Hell Yeah!
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

That's to funny LOL
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 4:51pm
... holy crap im dumb.....

I get it now...

Can we forget I didnt get it....

Oops
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 5:01pm
LOLLOLHum, I smell a commercial in there some where.
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

Bosboi View Drop Down

Quote Bosboi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 5:08pm
Does the x17 come with an Optical port to connect to my toslink optical cable that came with my Astros?
Sorry I'm terrible with all these names for this stuff...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>