FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quiet gaming PC & DS premium

Post Date: 2014-07-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
baconandeggs View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote baconandeggs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Quiet gaming PC & DS premium
    Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 5:08pm

Hi:

Budget : $2 - 2.5K for PC alone.

Primary use case : gaming. FPS (crysis 3 ) & RTS (COH 2) on 27" 2560 x 1440.  Also want quiet PC

Chassis Model: Corsair Obsidian 550D

Config # 1004406

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-PRO (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Features 802.11ac Wi-Fi Connectivity)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850 (Optimized for Silence)

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Any thoughts on above config?

Now, I priced out similar config on PC Parts picker and all from new egg came about to be about $500 less.  So DS has a ~25% premium .   I am not here to troll but sincerely want to better understand the DS premium.  I get that with DS, I am receiving labor, workmanship, warranty , convenience, and extras like CPU overclocking.   Does 25% premium sound about right for a "mid end" PC like the above?    There was a recent Forbes article that profiled the Vanquish II where the premium was more like 10% .  So i guess i was kind of taken aback when I compared the numbers on my config.

Thanks!

Theokritos View Drop Down

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 6:55pm
Hello baconandeggs. Welcome to the forums. Smile

Please keep in mind that the Vanquish II line is preconfigured at four distinct levels. No changes, no variation, thus lower overhead and a smaller premium. The other gaming PC desktops allow a much wider choice of parts for each model level, thus more labor, more testing, a higher overhead, and a higher premium.

Is it worth it? I think so. That is one of the reasons that I bought a Slade gaming desktop from Digital Storm rather than trying to build a comparable machine myself.

Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
PCHammer View Drop Down

Quote PCHammer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 10:36pm
Plus, I think 72 hours of stressing the computer is an amazing thing that is often overlooked. They really care to make sure your pc is spot on to what it is advertised to be!
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 2:24am
Let me try to answer this question with another question: Have you tried pricing these parts / this build with another "boutique builder"? What is their premium?

As I was researching computer builds the answer was obvious. It's not the pieces they put in your machine... hell, anyone can grab pieces and slap them in a box (as proven by big name competitors). It's more the customer service AFTER the sale; from order to build to ship to service. One stop, all in one building.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 3:10am
Just to add..... You can definitely build your own for less money and a lot of us have. Hiring, so to speak, DS to build it for us is more money because they're in business to make money, give their employees a decent living and the Support and R&D they have does have a price.

Vanquish is less profit, hence closer to buying your own parts, and is designed that way. DS with Vanquish is trying to give customers less incentive and less benefit to building their own. Of course, building your own is a lot if fun and a great experience but the savings isn't what it was before the Vanquish line.

DS is still primarily a custom builder and for those with a more flexible budget, their other systems give you a huge selection and a wide range of performance and cost options. Vanquish is their to give tighter budgets real nice gaming and the other systems give everyone else anything they need.

Edited by bprat22 - 04 Jul 2014 at 3:16am
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 9:07am
While i bought the vanquish myself and was happy about the low cost. I do think if I was looking to buy a more powerful computer I would not care about them charging more to assemble it.

They need to pay overhead and employees. I need someone to talk to if I have a problem.

If I build my own system I do save money it is true. However, it all depends on how much you value your time.

Obviously if time is available and money is tight then building a system can be a great fun project.

I will admit to not missing those old days trying to find out what i did wrong or what part might be failing in a new build. I will let DS deal with that for me.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 10:49am
For a system that is mostly being used for gaming, you could knock the CPU down to a i5-4690K. Also, to drive a 1440p monitor I think you would be better off with the 780 Ti, but with your games, I expect the 780 should be ok.

If you need the wifi, it would be best to stick with the motherboard you choose, otherwise, I would suggest you give a look at the Gryphon, Sabertooth and Hero. The other option would be to use an external WiFi adapter or adding a PCIe one to your build.

Quote baconandeggs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 10:49pm
Thank you all for your input.  Makes sense.  I went to a different boutique builder and it was indeed eye opening.

danjw1, I opted for the i7 for a bit of future proofing & the headroom in case future games could benefit (BF 4?).  Regarding 780ti, given the demands of COH2 , I am actually debating whether to pull the trigger soon or wait for Nvidia GTX8xx series.   Rumors on other sites indicate arrival Q4 2014 or Q1 2015.  I would hate to buy a new PC now only to feel it's been "maxed out" already. I am limping along with my almost 6 years old (!) machine [ E8400 C2D, 4GB, and GTX460] but have been playing less demanding games like Borderlands 2 and at 1920x1200.   I can actually play COH2 but in very low settings.. as much i as I like gameplay , it's nice to have the eye candy too.

Also, I live in the SF Bay area.  Anyone know if DS let me do will call so I can save on shipping cost?  and If I have issues , can I drop off ?  Given they are local to me, that has been another plus in my mind.

Edited by baconandeggs - 04 Jul 2014 at 10:53pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 2:35am
Yep, you can pick it up.   Just have to call first.    Big savings in shipping and piece of mind transporting it yourself.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 2:54am
Originally posted by baconandeggs

..Also, I live in the SF Bay area.  Anyone know if DS let me do will call so I can save on shipping cost?  and If I have issues , can I drop off ?  Given they are local to me, that has been another plus in my mind.

Yes, yes-yes and YES!

When I ordered the DS system, I saved the shipping and handling costs by getting it Will Called. You can even save more by picking it up without the box. It's worth the drive from anywhere in the Bay Area. Besides, the guys back in shipping are way cool.

They are open 9-5, Monday through Friday, and are very willing to help you pack it up in the car. My little baby even got seat belted in.

(Just a hint, when you drive into their back lot, it's the SECOND set of doors. The first one is Receiving, the second is Shipping.)
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 6:17am
What I have seen for the 800 series is fall with 28nm Maxwell parts. So from October-December of this year. One article suggested October or November, so it maybe a bit on the early side of that range. Apparently, TSMC is having issues with yield for their 20nm process for high performance parts, so probably be a bit for those.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 11:10am
I just want to say it always amazes me to see such an awesome active community of forum members. A big thanks to all of you for being so helpful to new customers.
Theokritos View Drop Down

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 4:11pm
Big%20Smile  Strong
Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX

Quote baconandeggs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 3:59pm
Thanks all for the feedback and info.  So now it's no longer a matter of "if" but "when"   Big%20Smile
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 4:09pm
Congrats, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY.   
Thandal View Drop Down

Quote Thandal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 12:37pm
Hey baconandeggs;

I spec'd out a machine very similar to the one in your OP. Built and shipped within four work days of my order (and another week in-transit to the east cost before receipt.)

You can see my unboxing pics in the Customer Reviews forum under "Slade - All that and room to spare!"

One note: The Obsidian 550D chassis supports the 120mm radiator fan through the standard rear vent. But if you go with the 240mm radiator fan then you have to open the TOP vent. Since I wanted the lowest-noise system possible, I opted for the "H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler".

Still haven't exceeded 60°C in any gaming session!

Edited by Thandal - 09 Jul 2014 at 12:48pm
--Thandal
Death becomes her.
Ragevirusqq View Drop Down

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 1:55pm
I have to chime in here. I feel like the support I have received from both digital storm and this community has been more than worth the small premium. Everyone I have dealt with all around has been customer service oriented, very friendly and well informed.I am almost shocked each time at the level of service I have gotten.For me this is everything as I work in this field and it is so refreshing.

The community here is also excellent and helpful and always quick to respond. I have asked lots of questions both before and after the purchase and if my questions weren't answered by a community member Alex always jumped in to assist.
I also chose Digital Storm to build my PC as it had been since 2004 since I built my own gaming PC and started PC gaming again.
Since I have received the computer and been using it I really feel as though it was worth every penny and then some.
My passion for PC's and PC gaming has been renewed.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 1:58pm
Awesome! Glad to hear, we really do cherish our community. All of the members are awesome.

Quote baconandeggs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Congrats, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY.   

Thanks bprat22.  July 7 is actually not my birthday .   I'm not sure how that came about.  Appreciate the thought anyway.

Quote baconandeggs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 2:54pm
Thanks Thandal.  Nice pics.  Looks like a really clean build inside.

Ragevirusqq , glad to hear.  I definitely feel more confident in buying from DS from all the feedback here.

My only reservation at the moment.. Company of Heroes 2 is my current benchmark as it will be the game I will be playing a lot of and also seems to be the most demanding game right now (and forseeable future?).  Hardware OCP COH 2 test says I can run 2560 x 1600 ( I plan to get 27" 2560 x 1440) at high settings except AA set to "low" to get average 49.7 fps .   Not bad.  But COH2 also does not support SLI so I am concerned about lack of headroom and if waiting for Nvidia GTX8xx may be worthwhile.

Edit:  I am aware of 780Ti but just don't feel the premium over 780 is worth it.  I'd rather wait to understand the value proposition of GTX 8xx series.  Not to mention that the 780Ti would likely make my build exceed budget.

Edited by baconandeggs - 09 Jul 2014 at 4:36pm

Quote baconandeggs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 11:28pm

AMD R290 looks like a good alternative.  For the games I am interested in playing, performance looks to be even better than 780 !  and almost the same with the R290X but the R290 seems to be roughly $100 cheaper than both 780 & R290X at retail.  But I don't see R290 offered by DS.  Any reason why?  I did see on another DS thread that DS can special order for $45 ?  

The R290X change from GTX780 is $25 more.

I can't tell if there will be any meaningful savings by asking for a R290 and I read that i will only get Manufacturer warranty with a special order and not the DS warranty?   Still, I might call DS to price both options and understand the warranty.

Also why aren't AMD cards more popular here on DS?

Edited by baconandeggs - 09 Jul 2014 at 11:32pm

Quote baconandeggs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 11:50pm
Ok, i just read about the noise on the R290 at Anandtech.  I wonder if that is the main reason why DS does not offer it.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 7:54am
DS will acquire and install any part you want, they do add a special order fee and that part isn't covered under their warranty.

DS is a smallish company and I expect they stock what they feel are going to be the most popular parts.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 8:29am
We've stuck with the "X" variations of those cards to keep inventory lean since they are more powerful.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 9:46am
Originally posted by danjw1

DS is a smallish company and I expect they stock what they feel are going to be the most popular parts.

I wouldn't say it's small .. when I picked up my machine I could swear it was Nav was taking an order on the phone while in Shipping AND Receiving and Alex was building machines with his "Receptionist" badge on...

I think the conference room, in the parking lot, had 3 chairs and Asangard was using an etch-a-sketch.

(Kidding of course. The guys back in shipping are really cool and helpful! /happy customer wave/     )
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 9:48am
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by baconandeggs

AMD R290 looks like a good alternative.  For the games I am interested in playing, performance looks to be even better than 780 !  and almost the same with the R290X but the R290 seems to be roughly $100 cheaper than both 780 & R290X at retail.  But I don't see R290 offered by DS.  Any reason why?  I did see on another DS thread that DS can special order for $45 ?   The R290X change from GTX780 is $25 more. I can't tell if there will be any meaningful savings by asking for a R290 and I read that i will only get Manufacturer warranty with a special order and not the DS warranty?   Still, I might call DS to price both options and understand the warranty.

Also why aren't AMD cards more popular here on DS?

Right now, your basic trade-off is like this:
NVIDIA
- Less Raw Power per Dollar
+ Better Heat/Noise (on reference-cooled cards)
+ More "ecosystem" benefits (Shadowplay, G-Sync, etc)

AMD
+ More Raw Power per Dollar
- Worse Heat/Noise (on reference-cooled cards)
- Fewer "ecosystem" benefits

Currently, there are plenty of custom cooled AMD cards available, which generally eliminate the heat/noise issues of the 290/290X on a case with sufficient airflow, so it's basically down to whether you want to pay a little bit more money for the extra NVIDIA features. I'm guessing most people who buy Digital Storm Systems are comfortable with that trade.

Incidentally, it looks like you're assembling a system quite similar to the one I bought back in January, so you can check out my review here:
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/slade-professional-powerful-quiet-tidf21957/
My Slade continues to happily chew up every game I throw at it, but I'm using a 1080P monitor and haven't tried Crysis 3, so it's possible you'd benefit from stepping up to the R290X. As you've figured out, a reference-cooled R290 is just not a good option for quiet gaming, and the special order fee would likely eat up much of your savings anyway.

Proud Slade Owner

Quote baconandeggs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 3:33pm
Counsel, thanks very much for the comments and your Slade review.  Both very helpful. 

Yah, I have pretty much scratched R290 off the list.   I am currently leaning toward R290X as it seems to provide 780TI fps performance at 780 pricing but I am still a bit concerned about the noise under load.  I just called DS pre-sales support to ask for R290X make / model so that I can research the (custom) fan cooling implementation.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 3:34pm
We either use the ASUS or XFX model for AMD cards.

Quote baconandeggs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 9:26pm
Hi Nav, can you please confirm if the default stock is XFX R9-290X-EDFD (Double Dissipation) or Asus R9290X-DC2OC-4GD5 DirectCU II ?  I am trying to avoid the AMD reference cooler . 

If yes and if both are in stock, am I allowed to select which one?
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 11:52am
I assume you could call during the week to order and have them indicate you want a specific one assuming both are in stock.

of course Alex could confirm my gut feeling on what would work with what they would actually do.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 12:53pm
Hi,

Send me an email with your order number and request. I'll try to see what we can do. My email is: [email protected]

Quote baconandeggs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 12:03pm
I just pulled the trigger.  Now the wait  Smile  Same config as in OP but with AMD R290x.  DS confirmed that the GPU will have the newer cooler implementation and not the early stock reference coolers which greatly put me at ease with respect to noise and temperature.

Many thanks to you all for sharing your experiences and perspectives and helping me to be more aware of the different options.

Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 12:55pm
Congrats on the new toy! Make sure you come back and post some pics or a review when it arrives (if you can peel yourself away from playing with it for a bit)! Big%20Smile
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 3:16pm
Welcome and congrats on an awesome rig!   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>