Question of Noise - Hailstorm II

Post Date: 2014-07-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Question of Noise - Hailstorm II
    Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 7:29am
Morning folks,

Just a quick question regarding noise levels, would love some feedback from any of those with either a dual loop custom water setup (a la Hydrolux), a Hailstorm II, or both, though any insight is appreciated as always.

My plan, as noted in my build thread, is to go for 3 780 Ti's in tri-sli. Considering an overclock on the cards, and am contemplating liquid cooling for the GPUs as well. Part of the reason being performance, part aesthetics, and part noise reduction, as my understanding is the water cooled cards allow for the fans to not have to spin up as high, resulting in a quieter build.

While having a super quiet system was never my main concern (would have gone the Slade route), one recent review has had me a bit puzzled. See: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/maximum-pc-magazine-kick-ass-award-holiday-2011-tidf16089/

Scroll all the way down to PCKiller's post. I have been following along his posts since mine will be somewhat similar to his, and while I recognize that everyone's experience is different, I also didn't want to dismiss such a claim of 'gigantic "garden" hoses' and a 'swarm of angry bees'.

While I'm positive that I want Digital Storm to build this beast for me, I also want to be sure (as I know DS and others would echo) that I am completely happy with such a significant investment.
PcKiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PcKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Eggy

Morning folks,

Just a quick question regarding noise levels, would love some feedback from any of those with either a dual loop custom water setup (a la Hydrolux), a Hailstorm II, or both, though any insight is appreciated as always.

My plan, as noted in my build thread, is to go for 3 780 Ti's in tri-sli. Considering an overclock on the cards, and am contemplating liquid cooling for the GPUs as well. Part of the reason being performance, part aesthetics, and part noise reduction, as my understanding is the water cooled cards allow for the fans to not have to spin up as high, resulting in a quieter build.

While having a super quiet system was never my main concern (would have gone the Slade route), one recent review has had me a bit puzzled. See: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/maximum-pc-magazine-kick-ass-award-holiday-2011-tidf16089/

Scroll all the way down to PCKiller's post. I have been following along his posts since mine will be somewhat similar to his, and while I recognize that everyone's experience is different, I also didn't want to dismiss such a claim of 'gigantic "garden" hoses' and a 'swarm of angry bees'.

While I'm positive that I want Digital Storm to build this beast for me, I also want to be sure (as I know DS and others would echo) that I am completely happy with such a significant investment.

The hoses are what's making this monster keep everything under control temp wise. The bigger the hose the more and faster the liquid travels thru them. A good thing!!!!

As for the swarm of angry bees, You have to be very close to pick up on it. I also have fan controls to control the ran speeds But I left everything on high.

I really love this monster of a Gaming Rig. SLI GTX 780s did need to adjust the software setting in NVidia Control Panel. The eye candy is awesome. and their temps never go above 36C under load.

If you are a hardcore gamer like me, get it, you will love it.

P.S. Eggy,

If you have any questions about my rig, feel free to ask me.

Edited by PcKiller - 10 Jul 2014 at 2:05pm
I-5 14600 KF
ASUS Prime Z790-P D5
32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB
SSD M.2 2TB Samsung 990 PRO
RTX 4080 16GB
H20: Stage 3: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 by 1440
 Post Reply Post Reply