FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Overheating

Post Date: 2015-05-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SharkExtra View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SharkExtra Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Question about Overheating
    Posted: 14 May 2015 at 7:06pm
Hello everyone,

So yesterday I just received my Vanquish III Level 4 and everything is going fine. However since its my first real gaming pc I'm really careful about everything and the thing that stresses me the most is overheating. Is the Vanquish related to any overheating issues. I've used a software during my playtime of the Witcher 2 and the max temperature was 65c. I also did a stress run and the max temp was 92c. I know I might be worried for nothing but just want to be sure.
Thanks again for your answers
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 8:42pm
I can run Furmark 3D on my older Vanquish 2 Ultimate and never touch 80C by manipulating the fans through EVGA PrecisionX. I have the fans on a 1:1 correlation from 40C and up... until I get to 75C, then my fans max out at 100%.

I may not know beans compared to the normal folks that run around here, but I do know that heat kills and I'm going to do everything I can to keep the machine cool... from bi-weekly cleanings to fan manipulation and everything in between.

I have HWMonitor on every time I'm gaming, and it's on the other screen so I can keep a weather eye on what the GPU is doing.

Edited by Snaike - 14 May 2015 at 9:09pm

Quote SharkExtra Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 9:11pm
Okay so I ran Furmark 3D for about 10 min, my gpu max temp was 71c and stabilized at 10c and my cpu max was 55c. I guess these are good results right?
Thanks for suggesting this program !

Quote SharkExtra Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 9:11pm
I meant stabilized at 70c not 10c
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2015 at 9:17pm
As you can see from this image... I ran for 15 minutes, burn in, and never touched 80C... The only temp I am watching when running FurMark is GPU.. if you can keep yours at 71C it's a beautiful thing.

milesprower06 View Drop Down

Quote milesprower06 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2015 at 4:37am
Originally posted by SharkExtra

Hello everyone,

So yesterday I just received my Vanquish III Level 4 and everything is going fine. However since its my first real gaming pc I'm really careful about everything and the thing that stresses me the most is overheating. Is the Vanquish related to any overheating issues. I've used a software during my playtime of the Witcher 2 and the max temperature was 65c. I also did a stress run and the max temp was 92c. I know I might be worried for nothing but just want to be sure.
Thanks again for your answers

What were you running to make it hit 92?

But if your general gaming is in the mid 60's, that's absolutely nothing to be worried about. Completely within normal ranges. It's the high 80's and above where you'll want to turn some settings down or check your airflow.

Quote SharkExtra Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2015 at 2:24pm
I think I used something called Prime95 if I recall. But yeah I tried furmark again and got the same result. My GPU stabilize at 70c and my cpu according to HWmonitor doesn't go higher that 55c so that's great, I can now wait for the Witcher 3 without being worried.
Thanks guys !
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2015 at 9:24pm
I did the Furmark GPU stress test. The burn in. And did it on my Behemoth laptop. I have SLI 980s. Highest temp was 80c and that was after 20 mins. Should I be worried? Have a cooling pad and 2 ceiling fans with AC at 71 in my computer room. Actually wear a sweater in here. Brrrr.

Edited by oldlady RPGer - 15 May 2015 at 9:24pm
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2015 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by oldlady RPGer

I did the Furmark GPU stress test. The burn in. And did it on my Behemoth laptop. I have SLI 980s. Highest temp was 80c and that was after 20 mins. Should I be worried? Have a cooling pad and 2 ceiling fans with AC at 71 in my computer room. Actually wear a sweater in here. Brrrr.
My understanding is that upper 80°s(C), low 90°s, are where things start to become trouble. If you hold at 80°c you're doing ok, iirc.

71°F and you're cold? Are you sure you're not related to my wife?? She says the same things... smh.   
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2015 at 10:27pm
Well good that worried me.

Yes Brrrr. (smart ass)
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 May 2015 at 12:40am
Originally posted by oldlady RPGer

Yes Brrrr. (smart ass)
My talent has finally been recognized.   
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2015 at 12:21pm
I would not worry unless your avg. temp was 95C or higher. One option to reduce temps is to enable video sync, or, if available, use frame limiting ( like in Diablo III)

You can also, if getting good enough FPS, underclock the GPU

I would think the most recent GPUs, with no SLI to block one of them, would run cool enough even with (non voltage boosted) overclocking

Never hurts to check temps under actual gameplay, your video card utility might do this, or there must be downloadable tools to do it

Edited by michaeljhuman - 19 May 2015 at 12:22pm
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2015 at 12:39am
Originally posted by SharkExtra

I think I used something called Prime95 if I recall. But yeah I tried furmark again and got the same result. My GPU stabilize at 70c and my cpu according to HWmonitor doesn't go higher that 55c so that's great, I can now wait for the Witcher 3 without being worried.
Thanks guys !

12 straight hours of Witcher 3... HWMonitor recorded a max temp of 68C ... with a fan speed of 95%... on the GTX770.

Yea, I'm happy.   
 Post Reply Post Reply