FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with GTX980 and GTX970

Post Date: 2014-11-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
smit9448 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote smit9448 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Problem with GTX980 and GTX970
    Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 7:42pm
Have any of you come across issues with only a black screen on Windows Login being displayed on DisplayPort with the new Nvidia cards? There is a massive thread nvidias GeForce drivers forum about it.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 9:19am
Is then we you boot up the computer and don't press anything while it gets to the login screen?

E.g. The monitor displays images like the BIOS startup, WINDOWS loading and then it blacks out when it comes to enter the password.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 10:14am
A long shot, but try turnng the monitor on first for a few seconds and then booting the rig.  Could be the port/card isn't initializing the monitor quick enough.   If the monitor is left on and left to sleep, then shut it off each time.  Also, if the monitor is on a green power strip, where the strip kills power to the monitor's plug, plug the monitor into a non-green plug.

Ya never know.  Might get lucky. Big%20Smile

smit9448 View Drop Down

Quote smit9448 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 10:34pm
I have not purchased my new computer yet so I do not have the problem. I was asking if others with these two cards were experiencing the below described problem as there is a 17 page thread on nvidias forum GeForce > Community > Forums > Support > GeForce Drivers > about it. This is one of the posts describing the problem:
Hey all,

Received my GTX 980 yesterday (previously owner of a GTX780), went ahead and installed it after removing current drivers. I started windows normally and updated the drivers on a clean install, after that windows has been very unstable when it comes to initialization. I can enter the bios and see the windows logo and the loading icon, however when it comes to the login screen, the monitor looses signal, like it was turned off.

It's important to notice that this is ONLY happening on displayport, HDMI is fine. Windows drivers are also fine whether using DisplayPort or not.

I did both clean install and also used Guru3D to clear all driver files when upgrading to 433.16.

my rig:
Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
EVGA 04G-P4-2982-KR GeForce GTX 980 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Superclocked
Plextor M5 Pro 250GB
WD Black Series 2TB
Corsair AX 860W
Windows 8.1 Pro
Samsung U28D590D 28" Monitor

The only thing left is reinstall windows, however I would like to check if anyone else is having same problems? I know it's not the display because the previous card worked just fine. I know it may not be the card since it does initialize sometimes (booting on HDMI and switching to displayport works as a workaround), I know it's not a problem with previous drivers conflicts since I did clean install, so we are left with a driver situation.

Thanks in advance.

Here is nvidias only response so far to the problem:

We still have not isolated the root cause but we are on top of this. It might help if you could email me at [email protected] with the following info:

1) DisplayPort monitor make and model
2) Graphics card make and model
3) Did you test every DisplayPort on your GTX 970/980?
4) If possible, please send me a dispdiag log file from your monitor as described below

5) GeForce forums username in case I need to reference back to this thread for more information.

Thank you
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 11:30pm
I do not use display port so have never experienced this issue.

I guess one work around would be to not use display port if you have the issue until they patch it with the driver.
gbutts55 View Drop Down

Quote gbutts55 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 4:32pm
You don't have to unstill old drivers anymore, just install the new one.

Sometimes when changing video cards nowadays, at least with nividia you don't even need to change drivers assuming the drivers you had installed also were used with the new card.
smit9448 View Drop Down

Quote smit9448 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 9:45pm
Anyone that was having the above problem there is now a possible fix:

GeForce Hotfix driver 344.80

Answer ID 3607   |    Published 11/21/2014 12:08 PM   |    Updated 11/21/2014 12:48 PM
GeForce Hotfix driver 344.80

This is a beta driver that addresses the following issues:

•GeForce GTX 980 displays texture shimmering when Texture Filtering Quality set to High Quality.

•GPU outputs fuzzy lines over DisplayPort after a period of time following driver updates.

•System hang up and black screen after power on with some monitors (DP1.2 & 4K/60Hz) + GTX980
pdubya64 View Drop Down

Quote pdubya64 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 7:48am
After installing my new Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 I noticed that waiting to turn on the monitor kept the Display Port from showing the AMD BIOS screens and it was black until the Windows 7 screen finally popped up. I can avoid this by turning on the NEC PA302W monitor I have first or right after I hit the power button.
"Chew, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes." - Roy Batty
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 8:17am
smit9448 and pdubya64.... Both good tips.    

The monitor being on first has shown to help in some cases.
 Post Reply Post Reply