Post Date: 2014-02-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Prepping to take the plunge!
    Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 12:40pm
Bit of background: I have been a PC gamer for the past 13 years or so, and have purchased/customized several desktops through other companies that, performed well enough for the time being, but nothing that ever really blew me away. In addition, my experiences with the vendor always left me feeling like they were just after the sale, as opposed to helping me get what I want. I understand business, but I also appreciate solid customer service. Had nightmare experiences from Alienware, between tech support and the machines themselves (You'd think I would learn after the first one, amirite?).
I recently stumbled upon DS, and I have been lurking the forums and reading through topic after topic for the past month+. Between reading customer feedback, responses to that feedback from Alex and other mods/staff members, and my dealings with Brian Benoit on the "live chat" function, it is safe to say I am hooked on this company, and will most definitely be making my next (and hopefully future) purchases here.
My father passed a couple of years ago and I was left a small amount of money. Certainly not enough to buy a computer, but he gave me specific instructions to not put it towards bills or student loans or whatever. I was meant to do/buy something for myself with it. As such, this system will be a sort of tribute to him. I remember him teaching me to play Mario Bros. on the NES when I was 3 years old, and this will be a sort of way for him to always be by my side while gaming.

1. Your Budget: Was originally hoping to keep it sub-$5k. As I have read up on other setups and what my aim is for the system to accomplish, I've decided I can be flexible. I would prefer to not exceed $6k, although I realize with shipping I might have to. So be it.

2. Expectations: I would like this system to be sort-of future proof. I would prefer to run current (and hopefully some next-gen) games on high/ultra settings for the next while. I presently play on a 24" 1080p setup. I may occasionally plug in via HDMI to my flatscreen, if possible. If not, I imagine I will upgrade to a 27" display at some point, should any fine suggestions come across. I do not foresee going to 4k anytime in the near future. There may be a second monitor hooked up, but that would purely be for browsing/teamspeak/BF4 stats while gaming, not for multi-monitor gaming. Examples of games include BF4, CS:GO, WoW (I realize this isn;t too intense on hardware), SC2, Elder Scrolls Online, SWTOR, Crysis series, etc.

3. Usage: Moderate to heavy gaming, and some web browsing. I occasionally watch other streams, but I have never tried streaming something of my own. I suppose if I had the means, I might give it a shot, but this is by no means a priority.

4. Special Needs: As far as needs are concerned, I guess I would classify these more under 'goals'. As I mentioned earlier, this rig will be a sort of tribute (hence the lasermark addition, which I have some questions about). I would like to not have to buy another rig for a very long time, if at all possible. The plan would be to keep this shell, and just continue to upgrade internal components as needed.

Specs: SKU# 943287
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Hailstorm II Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME (Intel Z87 Chipset) (The Ultimate Power Platform)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Storage Set 1: 1x (256GB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 Pro Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 1: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color: Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: Hailstorm II: Bottom Baseplate Mod (Cleaner Wiring Look & DS Logo Branding)
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Digital Storm LaserMark Service - Graphic (Plexiglass Acrylic Window)
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Medium)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Question about the lasermark: Is that something I can have somebody design/draw up and send to them so they can mark it? Or is it chosen from a list of designs that DS has?
This will also be shipped to the east coast (Rhode Island), so I am open to suggestion about shipping. I have read horror stories on these forums about things getting damaged in shipping, and I recognize that there is nothing DS can do about lazy/clumsy people that toss around packages. However, as I am interested in the hydrolux cooling, I am admittedly nervous about everything arriving in one piece.

I do not pretend to be an expert on this matter. I have done my share of research on trying to figure things out, and have built a computer with my brother before, but I absolutely defer to the knowledge of this community. Looking forward to working with Alex and the DS team, as well as joining the DS family. SUPER apologetic for the giant wall of text, I realize how painful they are. OopsCheers.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 12:49pm
Eggy,

Welcome to the community and thank you for choosing Digital Storm! We would love to have you as a customer and be honored to build you a system in tribute to your father.

I'll let our community chime in to help, but I wanted to answer a few things for you:

1. We can laser mark practically anything, just need to make sure it is a resolution image and it should be black and white, not greyscale or a photo. Vector images such as tattoos or symbols work best.

2. Shipping is fairly safe, especially for your configuration. When you're talking about a unit with 3+ video cards and full liquid cooling including water blocks, then things get complicated and that's when we recommend the freight delivery service.
ZyloWolfBane View Drop Down

Quote ZyloWolfBane Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 3:38pm
Wow, that's a hefty machine! It'll definitely be futureproof.

If anything it's overkill, the most you should technically "Need" for graphics if you're running one 1920x1080 monitor is 2GB but if you wanna max out graphics without issue then a 3GB 780 Ti will suffice.

Having the extra one to SLI will ensure that you'll have no problems with games for quite some time, it'll still compare and possibly even exceed whatever Nvidia's next batch of GPUs will offer.

Just be aware that with Tax/shipping the price will go up a fair bit.

I know for the build I'm getting T/S ran an extra $400, good ol california! lol.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 6:53pm
You will definitely be happy with your purchase from Digital Storm!

The forum has many DS satisfied customers on it.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 1:31am
Originally posted by Eggy

.... My father passed a couple of years ago and I was left a small amount of money. Certainly not enough to buy a computer, but he gave me specific instructions to not put it towards bills or student loans or whatever. I was meant to do/buy something for myself with it. As such, this system will be a sort of tribute to him. I remember him teaching me to play Mario Bros. on the NES when I was 3 years old, and this will be a sort of way for him to always be by my side while gaming.

As an old curmudgeon, may I say this sentiment touched me.

I sincerely hope this machine is everything you want.  I am sure that DS will do everything in their power to achieve these goals.

Peace.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 1:44am
A few suggestions to your build:
1 - Spend a little extra $$ on the ACX versions of the 780ti. They provide a little better performance and your case will have no problems keeping them cool. You might even look at OC'ing them. Water cooling them is nice but kind of goes over your budget and isn't necessary.
2 - Stick with the Stage 1 CPU OC. With the "silicon lottery" in full effect on the the Haswell CPU's, it's not too likely you'll get a stable OC over 4.3-4.4 anyway. Mine was partially stable at 4.5 but had issues with some games and down clocked it to 4.4 and no longer has any issues.
3 - Have them upgrade all the fans to the Corsair ones (red rings). Increased airflow and quiet (mine has 15 of these and the system is super quiet).
4 - With this amount of GPU HP, you should consider upgrading to a 1440x2560 monitor.

Otherwise solid build!!

If you haven't already seen mine, click here. It'll be roughly the same as your's (with some obvious additions!!)
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 11:08am
If you don't intend to go beyond Dual card SLI, you could go down to the Sabertooth motheboard. There are some nice features in the ROG line that you might want to give up though. You might look at going to the Asus Maximus VI Formula as well, but that would be a special order item.

Custom liquid cooling for just the CPU and chipset doesn't seems like an unnecessary expense. With the silicon lottery, you aren't likely to get real high overclocks either way. I would suggest you consider switching to a closed loop for the CPU only.

Other then those, I agree with fstcvc's advice as well.
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 1:01pm
I can't imagine myself ever doing a triple/quad SLI build. Mobo's are probably the component I'm the least familiar/knowledgeable so I didn't want to start messing with that. What do I lose out on my dropping down to a Sabertooth?

I figure if I drop the Mobo down to that, I can use that $$ towards the ACX cards. What is the performance increase like on those over the regular Ti? Noticeable?

As for the overclock, I've been noticing more and more people talking about the silicon lottery, and I'm fine with a stage 1 OC there. I probably won't OC the gpu, I figure they're powerful enough as is and I'd rather not concern myself with any problems that could arise from the overclock, let alone potential heat issues. If I upgrade those fans, would I be able to get away with the ACX cards without dropping all the additional $ on liquid cooling them? My understanding was that they drop significant heat into the case as opposed to outside.

Also I guess in conjunction with the motherboard - at what point do you consider a dedicated sound card? I was looking into that but didn't know if it was worth it.

And finally, is there any reason to think that the 1050W PSU couldn't handle those two cards plus the liquid cooling, or should I be prepping for a call from the build team telling me I need to update to the 1200?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 1:29pm
Hi Eggy... The biggest changes in going from Maximus to Sabertooth is the number of lanes and physical pcie slots for the video cards. Sabertooth allows sli only and Maximus allows quad sli with the extra slots and dedicated plx chip that ups the lanes to 40. The Maximus also has WIFI/ Bluetooth.   Overclocking is also much easier with Maximus. Bottom line, if sli is all you want and wifi and higher oc'ing isn't your thing then Sabertooth is the one to go to.

The Superclocked ACX 780ti is about 10% better frames. It does dump more heat into the case so upping the airflow is important for sli ACX cards. The 900d, Hailstorm, case with added fans will work just fine. You really don't need the cpu under water cooling . The sealed H100i would work unless you want higher oc.

The 1050hx will handle this with no problem. 1200watt would be for tri or quad sli.

Hope this helps.

Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 2:21pm
Thanks for the responses, guys! With regard to the custom cooling vs the sealed H100i, what sort of maintenance am I looking at for each one? I have no issue learning how to provide proper maintenance for the custom system, but is it fairly intensive/more trouble than it's worth?

As for the Mobo, I didn't realize that the Maximus came with WiFi and bluetooth, that would be pretty handy, especially if I end up setting up on the TV instead of in the office.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 3:52pm
The Expert and Deluxe mobo also have WiFi for cheaper than Maximus.

The sealed h100i need no maintenance. They are sealed units with the pump in the cpu mounting head. Water cooling like HydroLux need topping off of fluid on occasion, real easy, and maybe a system flush every couple of years if needed.
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 1:32pm
So I was looking through ScottishBattleAx's review of his system, and was actually kind of impressed by the h100i. I was originally leaning towards the DS custom liquid cooling, but the look of the corsair actually isn't remotely terrible, and winds up saving me about $800.
When you say "no maintenance", I realize that means no topping off or flush.. But what is the lifetime on a system like that? Is there reason to think that there is more longevity to a custom system that is well maintained versus a "no maintenance" sealed unit like the h100i?

Also, should I decide to go for the 780 Ti ACX cards in sli as mentioned earlier, what sort of a cost is required for extra fan installation past the # that come stock?

Edited by Eggy - 04 Mar 2014 at 1:33pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 2:24pm
The h100i has a 5 year warranty. Can't say it's longevity over a full water setup, but it works just fine and is easy to replace if there was any issues.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe ScottishBattleAx has the HafX 942 case. That case has a large 200mm fan on the side window that blows lots of fresh air directly onto the cards. Sli ACX would work. The Hailstorm 2 900d case might also work but the Hafx is the best for air cooled.. 900d is great for full water and has decent air flow for air cooled cards but not as good. Would sli ACX work in 900d ? Probably but DS would be the one to ask for sure.

For me, I would want a case with the option to add side window fans for sli ACX.   
There is an option for drilling side panel for added fans with Hailstorm 2.

Edited by bprat22 - 04 Mar 2014 at 2:29pm
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 2:29pm
That is the case he has, yes. I would be happy sticking with the non-superclocked versions of the 780 Ti if need be, and keeping the 900d case. Will just need to decide I guess if I would prefer the custom cooling or the H100i setup. Perhaps with the savings from switching to corsair's cooling, I can upgrade my monitor?
Any suggestions on a solid 27" gaming monitor? Usage would be for FPS and MMO's, mostly.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 2:42pm
Water cooling is more a luxury than really needed. Your cpu with h100i will work great. Water cooling is real nice, can be quieter and allow higher overclocked.   

I don't want to talk you out of the ACX. It works, gives 10% or so better performance and the gpu stays cooler if airflow is right. And can be quieter.   But, the heat exhaust just had to be something to be aware of.

Monitors.... I've never looked beyond Dell UltraSharp IPS Monitors. IPS gives better color than TN monitors. But, there are so many opinions and choices. I just haven't kept up.

Edited by bprat22 - 04 Mar 2014 at 2:51pm
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 3:25pm
Hey folks,

So, due to a seriously unfortunate turn of events, I'm going to have to shave down my budget here. Still getting a solid rig, but in terms of "luxuries", some are going to have to wait for another day down the road.

New ticket build is934217

Basically, I'm dropping the liquid cooling and as such, switching out to the HAF case. Not the end of the world, as long as you all think the Noctua with upgraded Corsair fans won't have issues cooling in that case (from what I understand, it *should* suffice due to the case being designed for optimum airflow). I realized afterwards I hadn't included the lasermark on this build (or the free T-shirt!). Not to worry, those will be in on the final build.

Since I am not going to be liquid cooling, should I stick with the original 780 Ti's, or with this case should I be okay for the ACX overclocked, even with the additional heat dump?

Thanks!
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 9:54pm
Sorry, you couldn't manage everything you wanted.

Mostly it looks like a very solid build. The one thing I would change is the "Chassis Airflow", all you really need is a second 200mm on the top. I would just add a note that you want a second fan there. That should be plenty of cooling for your build. It would expect that to cost a bit less then the whole chassis swap out.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 7:39am
Yup - you don't need the fan upgrade kit, just request an additional 200mm fan to fill the one space left open. I believe it's a $30 option. The HAF-X uses large fans (200mm & 230mm) which would be replaced by smaller fans if you keep the upgrade option you currently have selected on the fans (if you read the details of the upgrade, it says fans will be replaced with 120/140mm performance fans).

Sad to hear you couldn't get all you wanted but that still is one mighty build you've got brewing!!
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 8:32am
Another option would be just to install the fan yourself to save a few bucks. They are easy to install. I believe the fan is the "Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 - Sleeve Bearing 200mm Silent Fan for Computer Cases (Black)" and PN is R4-MFJR-07FK-R1.
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 9:19am
Another question on this build. I keep hearing people mention issues with regard to SLI and some games not utilizing it, or something to that extent. My last desktop had SLI, but had some issues with one of the cards and I'm not sure I ever really saw the benefit anyway.

What benefit does SLI provide, and where would I expect to see issues with games? Are the issues only when you run a multi-monitor setup?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 9:26am
Some games don't utilize sli correctly.   I can't name any off the top, but it does come up.

Sli is if you want to game on a 2560x1440 monitor or multiple monitors and want frames to stay high with settings also on high to ultra.  The second card shares the rendering tasks with the first, giving you higher fps.

The only issue with multi monitor would be the added burden on the cards for the added real estate to draw to.  

For a single 1920x1080 screen, a single gtx 780 ti will probably be all you need. 

Edited by bprat22 - 13 Mar 2014 at 9:26am
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 9:35am
So with games that wouldn't utilize it correctly - does that mean they are not playable at all? Or I just wouldn't receive the benefit from SLI?
As far as monitors, I (un)fortunately managed to stumble upon the monitor page in hardware discussion, and subsequently found the Dell U3014 ultra-sharp. I'm still mopping up the drool. It's a 2560x1600 screen - that means 1600p, yes? Or is that still 1440?

I'm assuming a single one of those could be well handled by two ACX Ti's in SLI?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 9:44am
The sli issues can differ.  Usually it means sli just gets no  benefit and sometimes the sli is better off being disabled.

Yep, the 2560x1600 is 1600.  About the same and commonly used together, but the 1600 is a bit more demanding with the larger screen. 

sli 780ti's will play real nice with a 2560x1600. 

Edited by bprat22 - 13 Mar 2014 at 9:44am
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 10:12am
Even when a game doesn't directly support SLI it will still help with post processing (i.e anti-aliasing).
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 12:18pm
Also, since I'm trying to save where I can now without sacrificing too much performance.. what's the story with RAM speed? What's the difference between 16gb of 1600 MHz, vs. 1866 MHz? Do I need the 1866? More? Or is the 1600 MHz sufficient?

I don't quite understand where I will see these changes, and how much (if at all) I will notice it. I am planning on the stage 1 OC, if that matters.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 7:29am
If you are looking to save a bit of money without losing much in performance that is a good choice. Anything over 1600 Mhz isn't going to make a significant impact on overall system performance.
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 8:08am
Where would I notice the issues? If I'm planning on OC and the sabertooth Mobo, does it make more sense to have the 1866, or will that cause issues as far as the overclock is concerned?
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 9:29am
Higher RAM speeds can affect an OC but shouldn't make a difference on a Stage 1 OC as the system isn't being pushed that hard. You're better off saving your money as performance most likely won't even be noticeable unless you're benchmarking...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 10:02am
Okay, cool. That'd be nice to save a bit there if it's not needed.

Getting closer!! New ticket # is 936375.

Also in the comments (per your suggestions), I'll ask to have them add that additional 200mm fan to the case. Any other tweaks/suggestions?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 10:22am
That build looks 'Right On". 

Quality parts from the HafX case to the Sabertooth , drives and 780tis.    And of course the Noctua D14.... great cooling and the most dependable. 

Strong

Edited by bprat22 - 14 Mar 2014 at 10:23am
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Eggy

Okay, cool. That'd be nice to save a bit there if it's not needed.

Getting closer!! New ticket # is 936375.

Also in the comments (per your suggestions), I'll ask to have them add that additional 200mm fan to the case. Any other tweaks/suggestions?

Looks great a great choice of components! I am sure you will be very happy with that system.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 10:51pm
Looks like you're on your way to owning one fine piece of machinery!
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 7:58am

AwesomeThanks for all the help, guys!

So, I've read a lot about the  Titan and understood why the 780 Ti was better for my uses. But now I'm seeing this new Titan BLACK card. What's the story there? Same deal? If not, any word on performance increase? (an extra $700+ for those in SLI over my build.. ouch!)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 8:29am
For gaming, the Titan Black and the GTX 780ti are about equal.  The TB does have more vram and excels with computation tasks for developers, etc.  with its double -point precision performance, but for a gaming rig, I'd save the money.

If you're into multi-30" monitors, then the added vram might help, but not sure. 
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 8:38am
Thanks for the quick response. I kind of figured 6x2gb of VRAM might be overkill for gaming, even potentially for the next couple of years.
Some day I might be able to run 2+ 30" displays, but for now I think I'll settle for one gigantic one Excited
Something tells me I'm going to have make it up to the lady if I'm going to take over the entire desk in the office, haha.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>