FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Potential New Buyer Considering Vanquish

Post Date: 2014-03-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ilirdino View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ilirdino Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Potential New Buyer Considering Vanquish
    Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 10:56am
Hi all,

New to the forums and have recently discovered DS through a random article I was scrolling through on the interwebz! This seems like a terrific operation - nice job, everyone!

Some Background:
I use to be a dedicated PC gamer - actively played RTS games (Warcraft 3, Starcraft), some FPS (Counter Strike, FEAR), and even got into the MMO space for a short time (Guild Wars).

I have not built/bought a gaming rig in probably 8 years. Looking to relive the glory days during slow weekends but have a demanding career and don't have much downtime and thus, do not want to invest TOO much money in the machine (on principle).

With that said, please note the budget number below is what I would LIKE to pay. I can swing double that range if it is necessary. However, your valued advice will be crucial in arriving to a decision!

Budget:
$800-1200 (gross basis, understand additional shipping & taxes will raise actual paid. I'll also require a monitor and peripherals).

Expectations:
Want to "relive the glory days" on a budget. Seems like I'll end up with the Vanquish II line (although I have some concerns about this, which I will outline below).

Usage:
Games out there that I'll probably buy and play on first thought:
1. Starcraft 2
2. Guild Wars 2
3. Warcraft 3 (if I can even install it on new Windows OS)

Special Needs:
None. I don't need it to be especially quiet or particularly upgrade-able.

Saved Ticket #: N/A

Concerns (and things that might force me to consider a higher end model):
1. Intel Core i5 4570 CPU vs 4670K - Should I be concerned about inferior OC capabilities of the 4570 (I'm thinking longevity here)?
2. SSD missing from all but the Ultimate/Level 4 build - can I open this thing up at some point in the near future (6 mo.) and plop a Samsung SSD in it?
3. Is 600W PS sufficient?

Thanks so much in advance for your advice! I hope you guys can help ease my concerns about the Vanquish and address the questions directly above. I am a serious buyer looking for honest advice!

All the best,

Ilir

Edited by ilirdino - 18 Mar 2014 at 10:58am
ScottishBattleAx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 12:30pm
I'm sure others will be along with more technical answers than I, but I don't think CPU is anything to worry about considering your requirements. If you're only gaming, and focusing on games you listed, I doubt there's any worry there.

Yes you can put an SSD into it in the future, but if I were you I'd probably get the level 4 Vanquish and have it from the start to run the OS from. All your games can go on the 1TB HDD. You'd also get the better GPU from the level 4. I'm a firm believer in getting the best you can afford for your requirements today, and giving yourself some degree of future proofing. Since budget isn't a huge concern for you, I think level 4 vanquish would the best option for you. I just bought a level 4 for my wife... ideally I'd have liked to get a slightly higher spec machine but that meant customising one and much more $ for not a lot more. It's hard to beat the value on the Vanquish - I priced it up to build myself and it would have only saved $50. Be quick though - the prices are rising on them soon (see the other thread about it)

I think the 600W PSU will be fine, even if adding another SSD. Another a second GPU in the future would require more power for sure.

Edited by ScottishBattleAx - 18 Mar 2014 at 12:33pm
HAF X // i7-4770K @ 4.2GHZ // Win 8.1 Pro // ASUS Z87-Expert // EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked ACX // 16GB 1866 RAM // 256GB SSD // 2TB + 4TB HDD // Recon3D 5.1 Sound
ilirdino View Drop Down

Quote ilirdino Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 2:39pm
Thanks for the feedback!

Also wondering if the 770 makes it worth the jump to L4, as well? The 760 seems like it will handle anything I'll throw at it today but I do understand the value of future proofing. I've read some forums today and it looks like the 770 might be worth the spend but am curious what you guys & girls have to say.

Any input in that respect?

Thanks again!
poppy View Drop Down

Quote poppy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 3:01pm
I am a noobie here as well. I have been looking over the Vanquish models for about 3 weeks now. Personally, after the research I've done on my own, the 770 card is a major jump from the 760. If you can swing it I would go with the level 4 myself. It is the one I was going to purchase as well. Good luck...
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 3:27pm
Welcome to the boards ilirdino.

The i5-4570 has a .2GHz lower base clock then the i5-4670K. So it will be little slower, but should be fine playing most games. If you are playing in really big worlds in the RTS games it could cause be an issue.

Yes, you can add an SSD later. Also a 600W power supply shouldn't have any problem with the load on that system even with adding a few more drives.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 3:59pm
The gtx 770 is about a 20% boost over the gtx 760.

Overclocking does help, but it's very dependant on what you play. Some games will see a 10% performance increase and some will see none. Overclocking on the 4670k does increase the clock on all four cpu cores while the Turbo on 4570 is on a single core. Usually helps more on bringing the minimum fps up than increasingly max frames. But so many variables.

For your games and a typical 1920x1080 monitor, the Vanquish lvl 3 or 4 will play great. Level 4 does give you the 770 and SSD.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 1:21am
Originally posted by bprat22

The gtx 770 is about a 20% boost over the gtx 760.

Overclocking does help, but it's very dependant on what you play. Some games will see a 10% performance increase and some will see none. Overclocking on the 4670k does increase the clock on all four cpu cores while the Turbo on 4570 is on a single core. Usually helps more on bringing the minimum fps up than increasingly max frames. But so many variables.

For your games and a typical 1920x1080 monitor, the Vanquish lvl 3 or 4 will play great. Level 4 does give you the 770 and SSD.
This ^^.

In the range you quoted, you really couldn't go wrong with the Vanquish II Ultimate (4).  770 and an SSD?  Sounds like the ability to game for quite some time to come.

And don't forget the T-shirt! Hahaha
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 7:27am
One quick note - (very) recent development in gaming tech is a product called "G-SYNC" from NVIDIA. It's a module that goes inside your monitor that synchronizes your monitor's refresh rate with your graphics card's frame rate output. The idea is to eliminate tearing and stuttering even when your graphics card is unable to pump out a smooth frame rate. Initial reviews are extremely favorable.

Currently there's only one monitor equipped for G-SYNC (the ASUS VG248QE) - it tends to be on back-order at Digital Storm and most other retailers - but monitors do last a long time, so if you're buying a new monitor for your new rig, it's definitely a tech you want to keep in mind.
ilirdino View Drop Down

Quote ilirdino Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 7:58am
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Did some reading and the 770 seems like the way to go. I was pretty keen on utilizing the OC-friendly capabilities of the 4670k but on second thought, I don't know how much I actually care?

Leaning towards Level 4 but have another small concern before I pull the trigger on this: would you guys have any capacity concerns about 120GB SSD?

Thanks again for your insights.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 8:00am
More is always better  Hahaha  but the 120gb will hold the OS and a few games.   Keep everything else, like downloads, pics, music, etc on the HDD.

Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 8:22am
120GB is not a lot but it'll be great for your OS and software.
There might be room left for 1 or 2 games but I'd only put a game on it if it truly benefited from SSD speed/load times.

Personally, I have BF4 on SSD because it benefits from super fast map load times. Also Arma 3 because, as far as I understand it, the huge huge map on that is so big it streams some textures from the hard drive.

Titanfall is an example of a waste of SSD space because the game waits for everyone to load in before starting, and it doesn't take all that long on a regular HDD anyway.

So before putting any game on the SSD I'd check to see if there's are benefit to it.
HAF X // i7-4770K @ 4.2GHZ // Win 8.1 Pro // ASUS Z87-Expert // EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked ACX // 16GB 1866 RAM // 256GB SSD // 2TB + 4TB HDD // Recon3D 5.1 Sound
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 4:32pm
Anyone interested in what G-Sync is should read this:http://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 4:25am
As far as I can tell, the OS and twitch FPS belong on the SSD, as ScottishBA says above.  Most games, MMORPG, Open World Survival, et al, will be placed on my HDD.

ilirdino View Drop Down

Quote ilirdino Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 10:17am
Just wanted to let you folks know that I did indeed pull the trigger on the level 4 Vanquish just minutes ago! I am definitely spoiling myself here as I don't exactly need this thing but I'm sure it will be quite gratifying to load up some of the games I've been meaning to play in my (limited) spare time.

Looking forward to it! Thanks all for your feedback.

Best,

Ilir
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 10:20am
Nice move.  Awesome        Congrats and you're gonna love it.  Big%20Smile
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 11:02am
Congrats!!
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
ilirdino View Drop Down

Quote ilirdino Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 5:50am
Have a follow up question for you all:

The folks at DS will be installing the OS on the SSD, right? Or is this something I'm going to have to do on my own?

Thanks again for walking me through this.

PS - turns out I have access to Office Pro for $10 through Microsoft's Home Use Program. Random, I know, but it saves me some coin that I'll put towards a monitor now. I'm all about value these days!!
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 6:00am
DS will install the OS on the SSD, everything is pretty much done except you would need to do is install whatever windows updates there is when you get it
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 6:13am
The Microsoft Home User Program is AMAZING!!! I get the same deal though my wife's employer. $10 for the full complete Office Pro version.
ilirdino View Drop Down

Quote ilirdino Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 8:51am
Originally posted by ScottishBattleAx

The Microsoft Home User Program is AMAZING!!! I get the same deal though my wife's employer. $10 for the full complete Office Pro version.

Hahaha yes! What a steal.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 2:05am
Grats on the VanqII 4 ... yes, OS is installed. Just the updates and a whole bunch of new toys to play with will keep you occupied for quite awhile.   
ilirdino View Drop Down

Quote ilirdino Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 1:24pm
Another question (sorry guys!).

But will this thing actually ship within 72 hours? I'm reading 10-15 days for the system but it sounds like DS can get it out the door quicker than that.

Just trying to get an idea so I can time the arrival of my peripherals and monitor!

Thanks!
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by ilirdino

Another question (sorry guys!).

But will this thing actually ship within 72 hours? I'm reading 10-15 days for the system but it sounds like DS can get it out the door quicker than that.

Just trying to get an idea so I can time the arrival of my peripherals and monitor!

Thanks!

Seeing as the Vanquishes are prebuilt and stressed tested beforehand they should ship out real quick.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
ilirdino View Drop Down

Quote ilirdino Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 12:35pm
Stage 7! I suspect I'll have the machine by the end of next week. Perfect timing.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 2:41am
ilirdino, I placed my Vanquish II (4) order on Wednesday afternoon.  Got an email on Friday that it was ready.  If I hadn't had an appointment that I could not absolutely cancel I would have picked it up then.  From "Order" to "Will Call" in approximately 48hours.

I had to wait over the weekend to pick it up...  but that's on me.  DS was true to their word to have it ready in under 72 hours.

I hope you're as happy with your new machine as I have been with mine.

Peace
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 10:01am
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
ilirdino View Drop Down

Quote ilirdino Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 9:19am
Snaike -- they stuck to their word and got mine out the door within 72 hours as well. I'm in New York so I'll have to wait until the end of the week for it to get here but I'm excited either way!

If this thing doesn't survive the journey cross country, I'll let you guys know. I don't think it should be a problem but we'll see!

Good to hear you're pleased with the purchase.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 9:25am
Originally posted by ilirdino

Snaike -- they stuck to their word and got mine out the door within 72 hours as well. I'm in New York so I'll have to wait until the end of the week for it to get here but I'm excited either way!

If this thing doesn't survive the journey cross country, I'll let you guys know. I don't think it should be a problem but we'll see!

Good to hear you're pleased with the purchase.

Outstanding!   
ilirdino View Drop Down

Quote ilirdino Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 11:38am
Guys,

I've only just gotten around to it, but I'm happy to say I'm just about done getting everything I need installed on this bad boy!

The machine looks great (didn't realize the Corsair case would be this industrial gray - I'm loving it) and works famously. I haven't had a chance to actually play anything on it yet (busy busy weekends) but it is quite snappy. I'm looking forward to tearing it up tonight.

I also want to mention that the packaging is top-notch. I don't know if this is an industry standard or note, but these took care to stuff foam into the machine itself so nothing rocked around too much during shipping.

Appreciate your support in the buying decision. I don't regret it one bit!

Thanks again & happy gaming.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 2:07am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 7:35am
   Have fun. Big%20Smile
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 8:23am
Happy Gaming!!
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
 Post Reply Post Reply