FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Poor Image Quality

Post Date: 2015-02-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kaelara View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Poor Image Quality
    Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 4:25pm
Title says it all. This is a new computer Velox Built 3   changes rampage MOBO and GTX980s in SLI.

Monitor is old 5 yrs Samsung HD 27 inch 1920X1080 is the native resolution.
Picture Quality is grainy, Text is hard to read and the whole page is too big for the screen partially hiding the task bars up and below and cutting off any text on either sides.

No amount of fiddling with the monitor or computer display settings fix this , and do not get me started about the picture Quality in games.. I do not think this is due the new computer but more in part with my failure to properly set things up and maybe a monitor that needs replacing

I am connecting the Monitor and computer via a HDMI cable

A secondary issue is I am not able to get any sound from the computer at all , all sound comes from the monitor ,even plugging in my headphones to the USB jack does not work... I am not that concerned about this I can always run vent off my laptop if I have to

Any suggestions.? Buy a new monitor? if so what would you suggest. thanks in advance
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram
2x SLI Dual Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Asus Strix Edition
Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler

 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 4:36pm
For the sound, you probably need to disable the audio pass-through in the HDMI cable. To do this, go into the NVIDIA control panel and under "Set up digital audio" there should be an option to "Turn off audio".

For the monitor can you try any other connectors? Some are finicky with the interface used. What is your refresh rate in the NVIDIA control panel? I assume you're using the native monitor resolution...make sure the aspect ratio on the monitor is set to "scan only" or something like that and not "16:9" which sometimes does an overscan and cut off some of the edges and stretches the image to fill the screen (this is usually apparent with computers as your task bar will be partially/fully concealed).
Kaelara View Drop Down

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:44pm
fixed the aspect ratio, resolution is at native
Refresh rate is 60 and SLI is disabled for now as I am only running one monitor.. this will change when I get my second monitor

Noob question would you ever run SLI on one monitor?
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram

 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 7:19pm
It doesn't hurt to run SLI for one or any number of monitors. SLI does alternate frame rendering, where one GPU renders one frame to display, while the other renders the next (this is why you can't add the VRAM, as each GPU has to render the entire screen).

On an aside, with lower level GPU programming, such as what was done with Civilization: Beyond Earth's leveraging of Mantle for AMD's CrossFire, split frame rendering is possible where the screen separated into portions and each GPU only renders part of each, and every, frame (and you can then roughly add up the VRAM as each GPU only handles part of the frame).
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 1:47am

I run SLI for gaming, one monitor is the display for gaming ( no surround.) It's for better frame rates, as it nearly doubles performance. SLI/Crossfire predated surround video gaming

As for image quality, not sure I can help. Monitors can degrade over time. You could borrow a quality, newer monitor from someone to try, or hook to a newer TV

I have dual 980s on my own PC ( waiting on a DS PC,) and there's nothing wrong with the video quality that I see.

Also make sure your resolution is properly set
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 2:56am
Did aspect ratio fix the problem?   If not, try hooking the monitor to your other graphics card with the sli bridge removed. If another video cable and trying another monitor/tv doesn't help, it could be one of your cards displaying in vga lower resolution which a defective card might do.    Try new video drivers.

Good luck.   
Kaelara View Drop Down

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 5:16am
Thanks the aspect changed solved most of the problems I also determined that while the monitor was set to the native settings for resolution , the game resolution had been changed.. corrected that.. and now things look 100% better.

I suspected the problem was on my end and not the computer or GPU, Still I want a new Monitor, but the changes mean I do not have to have one right this minute.

Still working on the sound issue.. for now I will run vent off my laptop

thanks
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 5:29am
Good to hear about the graphics.

One thing you can try for the audio is to go into Control Panel, Device Manager, expand the audio section, right click all the Nvidia drivers and Disable. Just leave the REaltek, which is the motherboard audio.   Not sure it will work, but worth a shot, as long as your not using audio through the hdmi.
 Post Reply Post Reply