FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PNY gtx 770 triple fan reference?

Post Date: 2014-06-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ragevirusqq View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: PNY gtx 770 triple fan reference?
    Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 2:43pm
2 GB PNY gtx 770 with the triple fan cooler attached that came with my Vanquish V1.  With the summer ambient temps and already getting pretty high temps on it,  I was thinking of putting an AIO on it with a Kraken G10 bracket.

My question is:
Any thoughts on the G10 bracket? Also does anyone know if this has the same screw holes as the reference cooler? is this just a reference board with a different cooler attached?

I cant seem to find the answer anywhere on PNY's site or any forums. 30 bucks for the bracket and since i have a cooler that will work seems so affordable.

Now upgrading to something like the ASUS poseidon 780 and a water loop is sounding good.

Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 11:18am
In all honesty, the triple fan design will likely keep your VRMs running cooler. Sure, the Kraken can look nice in some scenarios but the VRMs do take a hit.

What temps do you see on the GPU now?
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 11:38am
I monitor my temps pretty regularly, being new to this sort of thing, and my PNY 770GTX 2G has never topped 65ºC in my Vanquish.

Of course you may live in Death Valley where the ambient temp is 46º - 48ºC today, too... That could make a difference.

But then again, you'd probably have AC cranked on...

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 12:12pm
In the corsair 300r case they were getting 85C - 91C pretty consistently while gaming. This as I am sure you know results in throttling.
I usually let geforce experience choose the game settings and end up turning them down to reduce temps and fan noise.
I have two 1080p monitors plugged in but only use one while gaming.
Because it is so fun I have continued to move fans around and tinker. Someone also bought me the new TT corev71 case for my which is gigantic and has 3 200mm fans in it.So the system is currently in that case right now because of the temps.I know airflow is not the problem in this case. I also turned the ASUS Q-fan to performance when i first received the Pc. The stock static fans on the H60 were so loud I couldnt deal with them on full speed. I also upgraded from the H60 in Push Pull that The vanquish
V1 came with to a H100I that I had in push pull 4 fans as a top exhaust for the CPU.
I am also currently building a PSU cover (see my other posts) with fan ports to try and mitigate some PSU heat (if that is even a factor) and also just because it looks cool.   
my house is never hotter than 73F. With current fluctuations in my office between 65 and 75 F.

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 12:38pm

Originally posted by Ragevirusqq

In the corsair 300r case they were getting 85C - 91C pretty consistently while gaming. This as I am sure you know results in throttling.
I usually let geforce experience choose the game settings and end up turning them down to reduce temps and fan noise.
I have two 1080p monitors plugged in but only use one while gaming.
Because it is so fun I have continued to move fans around and tinker. Someone also bought me the new TT corev71 case for my which is gigantic and has 3 200mm fans in it.So the system is currently in that case right now because of the temps.I know airflow is not the problem in this case. I also turned the ASUS Q-fan to performance when i first received the Pc. The stock static fans on the H60 were so loud I couldnt deal with them on full speed. I also upgraded from the H60 in Push Pull that The vanquish
V1 came with to a H100I that I had in push pull 4 fans as a top exhaust for the CPU.
I am also currently building a PSU cover (see my other posts) with fan ports to try and mitigate some PSU heat (if that is even a factor) and also just because it looks cool.   
my house is never hotter than 73F. With current fluctuations in my office between 65 and 75 F.

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 12:39pm
As u can see the case is totally open and with 9 fans the airflow is pretty extreme

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 12:46pm
I am almost wishing i would just manned up and got the next model so i could have had DS to a custom water solution for me. I guess on my next DS system ill keep that in mind :)

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 4:58pm
with psu cover finished today with the exception of some cutouts or the hailstorm 2 baseplate option from DS!

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 5:00pm
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 10:15pm
That PNY card should definitely not be reaching that high of a temperature. Are you sure you all the fans are spinning and there isn't any dust in the way?

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 7:58am
yea the system is only a few months old and has been moved to a different case even. im pretty crazy about keeping it clean. all the fans are spinning and i monitor their speed with corsair link and hw monitor.

Originally posted by Nav

That PNY card should definitely not be reaching that high of a temperature. Are you sure you all the fans are spinning and there isn't any dust in the way?

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 8:49am
Hi Ragevirusqq....   Have you tried setting up a custom fan profile in EVGA  Precision X for your 770?  What's the fans rpm at those temps?

In Precision you can select Fan Curve, go to the Fan Tab, Enable fan control and use the default fan curve if its like mine.  Its basically a 1 to 1 profile where at 40C its 40% fan, 60C its 60% fan, etc.

You select Run Startup and then minimze.

Just a thought. 

Edited by bprat22 - 06 Jun 2014 at 8:50am

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 9:14am
Hello,
Thanks for the input. So i just DLed msi afterburner (before i saw your post BP) and I put the card through its paces while monitoring the fans speed and curve with several different apps. Corsair link MSI afterburner and HW monitor. It appeared that regardless of the settings the fans speed was capping out at 1200 RPM's. The maximum speed seems to be in the 3200 RPM range. I reinstalled the current drivers from nvidia pulled the power to the card and restarted and now the fans seem to be ramping up like they should. I am not sure if this was software related or a loose power cable etc. Either way its seems to be fixed. Ill continue to monitor the temps and hope this can be considered fixed. the issue persisted between two cases so I am at a loss.
thanks for all the help

Originally posted by bprat22

Hi Ragevirusqq....   Have you tried setting up a custom fan profile in EVGA  Precision X for your 770?  What's the fans rpm at those temps?In Precision you can select Fan Curve, go to the Fan Tab, Enable fan control and use the default fan curve if its like mine.  Its basically a 1 to 1 profile where at 40C its 40% fan, 60C its 60% fan, etc.You select Run Startup and then minimze.Just a thought.   

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 9:25am
Nice.  Hope that works for you.  Strong

I haven't used Afterburner, but in Precision, I set the profile, go to Monitoring Tab and select gpu temp and fan rpm to display in OSD.  That way, in game, the temps, rpm show on top.   I have also dropped the gpu voltage for my 570 from 1000mv to 950mv and saw temps drop by 10-12C, and the clock stayed the same, so all was good.   But, dropping the volts too much will get you a Rendering fault after black screen.   Oops     Your voltage will be different I'm guessing.

Just a wild story that might help at some point. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 06 Jun 2014 at 9:27am
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 10:12am
I also use EVGAs Precision X to control the GPU fan speeds on my 2 GTX 670 4GB graphics cards. I use the standard fan curve in Precision X and it lowers my GPU temps 10 degrees C while gaming.
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 11:09am
Awesome   

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 11:28am
I did not care for afterburner im gonna give precision a try. it doesn't have to be an evga card for this?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 11:32am
Nope. StrongBig%20Smile  Just have to setup a login.  

Edited by bprat22 - 06 Jun 2014 at 11:32am
Theokritos View Drop Down

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Asangard

I also use EVGAs Precision X to control the GPU fan speeds on my 2 GTX 670 4GB graphics cards. I use the standard fan curve in Precision X and it lowers my GPU temps 10 degrees C while gaming.

Where does one get this utility? I have EVGA GTX 780 (3 GB) cards in my Slade but did not receive any drivers or utilities for them. When I enquired about the missing DVD/CD, I was told that they are not provided.  Whoa

Any advice that you care to share will be greatly appreciated.

Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Theokritos

Originally posted by Asangard

Where does one get this utility? I have EVGA GTX 780 (3 GB) cards in my Slade but did not receive any drivers or utilities for them. When I enquired about the missing DVD/CD, I was told that they are not provided.  Whoa Any advice that you care to share will be greatly appreciated.

its a download from EVGA. just make a free account and download for free. then say thank you to BP for being Uber

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 2:00pm
Just an update.
I spoke with Digital Storm Tech support this morning and they advised me that 85C - 97C is the normal operating temp for the 3 fan PNY GTX 770. I am reaching this temp while gaming. playing at 1080p 60hz and most current drivers and recommended setting by Geforce experience. I saw another thread about upgrading so I asked my tech about that also, in an RMA situation I would pay the difference between this card and a more expensive one. (This would have been my preference since the whole system is only a few months old). Also as a side note the card throttles at 81C.

So, Initially the tech told me those temps were too high and the card probably needed to be RMA'd as it most likely had a thermal issue such as bad paste application or improperly seated block. When I decided to pay the difference and upgrade to a different (better card) ie. 780 he placed me on hold and asked someone who does the overclocking about this. That person told him these temps were normal and my tech advised me as such so an RMA situation or upgrade was not possible or warranted.

My opinion is something is wrong with the cards thermal measures but i am not comfortable taking the card apart to look and void the warranty or possibly damage the card.

The tech on the phone was totally friendly and they tech support called me back in like 20 minutes.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 2:27pm
Hi Rage.... The 85c is a bit high but perfectly fine. The 97c isn't. I like temps in the 70s or low 80.    

Did the Precision X fan profile help?

The triple fan card does kick heat into the case, and without good airflow, you start recycling the cards own heat.   With your new case I'm guessing that's not an issue but try removing the side panel when the cards temps get real high and see if the inside has a lot of heat buildup.   If so then the heat isn't getting out.

If the inside of your case is good then something is going on with your card.   Dust buildup, poor thermal paste, etc.

Edited by bprat22 - 18 Jun 2014 at 2:30pm

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 2:56pm
Hey!
Yes the precision helped lower the temps by about 5C when gaming just with the standard curve.

The case is so new and open its borderline ridiculous size for whats in it. There are 2 200mm intake fans 1 140mm intake and 1 120mm intake and the 120 is like 6 inches from the card pushing air right into it. see above pics. I also have a 140mm exhaust rear top right above the card and because the GPU temps affected the CPU temps upgraded to the H100i to try and keep my CPU cool. the H100i mounted top as exhaust with 4 x 120mm in push pull.
I have done everything that I know how short of pulling the card apart. I dont want to pull the card apart and void the warranty which defeats the purpose of ordering the system and not building myself in the first place. I have tried with the side panel off and i can feel the airflow and i know the heat gets out because after about an hour in a 20C - 25C room the whole room is warm from the exhaust. I am pretty sure there is an issue with the card.
The only reason it hasnt melted i think is becuase it seems to throttle so hard after about 81C.
I think i scared the tech when i started asking about upgrading to a better card. He probably thought i was just trying to get something for free.

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 2:59pm
I am at a loss and thinking maybe ill just try and RMA the card through PNY myself.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 3:44pm
We can help you arrange for a replacement card, just contact our team. However, I just checked the testing results, your GPU never went higher than 75'C during load tests so I feel your card is good. It could be the airflow coming into the computer?

Do you have some apps/utilities taxing the GPU, check with the built in GPU monitoring tools such as GPU-Z and review the "GPU Load" sensor. You can get the program here: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Please note, if the GPU is designed to go to up to 90'C during intense loads.

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 4:03pm
Thanks for the response alex! you guys are so good.

I assumed as much during the testing process that it did just fine other wise i t would have been switched out. however now it is not. i cant imagine that airflow is the problem in the giant case with nine fans. Is it possible that something got bumped during shipping that would result in higher temps? such as dislodged block or something? This temp issue as been happening since i first received the PC. I did not know that 95C was a problem until i noticed the fan noise and did some research myself. I am happy to keep the card if i can fix it. I am only interested in the functionality while gaming. I do not use anything that would require high compute processes. Some folks have said that theirs never breaches 65C when gaming here on the forums. I am getting to these temps playing games even lower requirment games like diablo 3, not during benchmarking runs or anything. It is entriely possible that it is my fault somehow also. I just dont know what else to do which is why i thought now that i have such a significant investment of money and time I thought I should just upgrade the card and pay the difference in price and RMA this one which seems to have an issue. because maybe my expectations for this card are too high.

Ill try the link u suggested and report back.

Originally posted by Alex

We can help you arrange for a replacement card, just contact our team. However, I just checked the testing results, your GPU never went higher than 75'C during load tests so I feel your card is good. It could be the airflow coming into the computer?

Do you have some apps/utilities taxing the GPU, check with the built in GPU monitoring tools such as GPU-Z and review the "GPU Load" sensor. You can get the program here: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Please note, if the GPU is designed to go to up to 90'C during intense loads.

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 4:07pm
Also is Crysis 3 and battlefield 3 and 4 on the settings used by geforce experience at 1080p considered intense load? From what i see it is reaching these temps at around 50% load. But i am not the best with these things.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 4:22pm
The cards will go to 80'C normally, yours went to 75'C and our place can get a little cool sometimes (ambient temps).

We're happy to arrange for a replacement if you wish, just contact our team to setup an AWR (Advance Warranty Replacement).

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 4:23pm
i just ran the benchmark test built into tomb raider. and the temp jumped at 60% load to 92C very quickly according to GPUZ. it hovered around that tempt the rest of the benchmark run even when the load approached 90%. If this is safe and how the card is designed and not harmful to the rest of the system than i am good with that.

Part of the issue is i am not sure if this IS a safe temp to run at for periods while gaming.
I hope that none of my posts sounded negative in any way, I am very happy with DS and the community and the level of support i have received thus far. I am really just asking for input as its been probably 8 - 10 years,maybe 2004 or 2005 since i have built my own PC and investigated this stuff. i used that old PC for years and then used big box store laptops ( i know, that is a sin)

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 4:25pm
Thanks so much Alex all your people i have dealt with are awesome!

Originally posted by Alex

The cards will go to 80'C normally, yours went to 75'C and our place can get a little cool sometimes (ambient temps).

We're happy to arrange for a replacement if you wish, just contact our team to setup an AWR (Advance Warranty Replacement).
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 5:17pm
No problem! Thank you for the kind words. Seems like something might not be right, please get in touch with our team and we'll help you out.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 8:35am
Rage... I would call them again, as Alex suggested , and run this past them.   90's might be safe but is still too high.   That card should be doing better.  

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 10:35am
Thank you BPrat and Alex! :) I sent a request for help waiting for a call back now.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 11:02am
I did review your order and I see that our team felt that the temps are normal, we can STILL setup an AWR for you (Advance Warranty Replacement) if you want to give that a shot.

Send me an email if you would like to do that: [email protected] with your order details.
 Post Reply Post Reply