FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Odd Duck needs a Quacking setup . . .

Post Date: 2014-03-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Socks223 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Socks223 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Odd Duck needs a Quacking setup . . .
    Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 1:17am

I like big-picture strategic games, with less interest in FPS, RPG, simulators, etc. Low-instinct, high evaluation games that dwell on math and stats rather than visuals.  Say Hearts of Iron 3, Matrix Games' War in the Pacific, HPS Simulations, Pride of Nations, Europa Universalis.  The small-scale, graphics intensive games I like are Oil Rush, Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusades, etc.  I play solo, so I need processing power for the AI, if that makes any difference (waiting, waiting, waiting for Matrix to release the AI for World in Flames).  Although I do like the shiny, if a huge price jump means that I won't be able to play the latest, hottest, most incredible whiz-bang graphics-intesive game on the market, I could easily live with that.  I plan on using this computr for the next 5-6 years, so I realize the future will leave me behind no matter what I buy.

I'll also be using the PC for work.  It's mostly online research and word processing.  But my work also requires that I use a lot of legacy stuff -- Word processor compatible with Windows 6.1, 3.5 floppies, etc.  I figure I can get an external 3.5" drive, but I thought I'd mention that too.  I also work remote using Citrix, again using legacy software or special stuff.  I prefer Firefox.

I have all my music on a 1TB WD external HD right now, running Itunes.  I like classical and jazz, which makes for large file sizes.  I don't plan to listen to the stuff on my computer, because I don't see any benefit to it (I'd have to buy high-end speakers, and I already have a decent audio transport / DAC for my Ipod).

I smoke a pipe. A lot.  I have about 24 corncob pipes in constant rotation.  That's some pretty thick, heavy smoke in my "shack," to which I have been exiled.  My "shack" also has some pretty serious dust issues -- electronic components attract the stuff, which visibly accumulates all over the surfaces, etc.

I can spend anywhere to $3000 -- $3,100 is a wince, $3,200 is a grimace, and $3,300 is the outer limit.  Unfortunately, that price has to include a monitor.  

Another thing about the monitor setup.  If possible, I'd like to be able to switch between 2 completely different monitor setups -- 1) a nice gaming monitor from here mounted on a swivel that could lift it up/out of the way and for use in gaming, and 2) two cheap monitors I already have (Gateway FPD1975W and Dell E193FPc) or something similarly low-class, so that I can do split-screens for work.

Anhow, thanks for the read-through.  Any responses, suggestsions, or different ideas would be welcome.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 4:02am
Hi Socks223... Welcome to the forums.   I can't cut/paste right now to show you what I mean, but I suggest starting with the Slade lvl 2. It's build around the Corsair 550d case, a closed case for your environment but still gives good cooling for this setup.

The gtx 770 sounds like all you need.   It's a great card and best bang for the buck.   There are faster cards like the gtx 780ti, but if your not into shooters, populated MMO,etc then this will work great.

I would up the SSD to the 256 gig drive if your budget allows and change HDD to the WD Caviar Black.   

It's a very nice rig and leaves you money for monitors.

Hope this helps and good luck.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 6:59am
Here's  the config.

Config # 934369       Cost $ 2405

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z87 (Intel Z87 Chipset) (Features Thermal Armor and Thermal Radar)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold Rated (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x (256GB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 Pro Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

A good place to start.   What case you want can be very personal, and they all work, so your choice, of course.  Big%20Smile

fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 7:33am
Looks like bp22 has already configured a great machine for you... That would also be my choice given your demands.

With the remaining $500 you should be able to pick up a good monitor for gaming and some sort of swivel mount. There are a few threads throughout the forums discussing good inexpensive options... DS is convenient but they can be had for less elsewhere (NewEgg, Amazon, etc.).
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Theokritos View Drop Down

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Socks223

Another thing about the monitor setup.  If possible, I'd like to be able to switch between 2 completely different monitor setups -- 1) a nice gaming monitor from here mounted on a swivel that could lift it up/out of the way and for use in gaming, and 2) two cheap monitors I already have (Gateway FPD1975W and Dell E193FPc) or something similarly low-class, so that I can do split-screens for work.

I may be mistaken, but dual displays usually require two graphics cards.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 9:53am
You can run 3 displays on a single card with most cards.  
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 11:23am
Originally posted by bprat22

You can run 3 displays on a single card with most cards.  

From the spec sheet, the GTX 770 supports all the way up to four, though I imagine most people would run into resolution problems and/or cabling confusion trying to plug in that many.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-770/specifications
Socks223 View Drop Down

Quote Socks223 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 3:31pm
Thanks very much for all the help guys!  Lots of guidance and confidence in your responses which I appreciate.  BTW, especially grateful for the advice on the 770 vs. 780 -- that price jump was hanging me up for awhile, good to know I don't need the 780 for what I plan to do.

One other question just for the heck of it -- how many other PC makers have BBB ratings of A+?  I don't know of one.  That's pretty impressive right there, that rating's hard to keep ahold of unless you're committed to customer satisfaction.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Socks223

Thanks very much for all the help guys!  Lots of guidance and confidence in your responses which I appreciate.  BTW, especially grateful for the advice on the 770 vs. 780 -- that price jump was hanging me up for awhile, good to know I don't need the 780 for what I plan to do.One other question just for the heck of it -- how many other PC makers have BBB ratings of A+?  I don't know of one.  That's pretty impressive right there, that rating's hard to keep ahold of unless you're committed to customer satisfaction.

Just A+ probably not a whole lot
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12