FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Desktop for birthday

Post Date: 2010-07-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hud View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hud Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Desktop for birthday
    Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 12:20pm
Time to replace my old desktop so I want to future proof as much as possible. I'll be playing some of the new games and don't want to see lag and marginal graphics but I'm near my max budget of $2300. Slow boot time drives me nuts so the SSD. I have an ASUS VW246H monitor. I've been reading through the forums for advice and this is what I came up with. Some questions:
- Should I get a USB 3.0 mb, SATA 6 gb/s ?
- Is the brand of power supply and SSD that important?
- Is OCing the Vid card noticable?

Advice much appreciated

Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,195.00

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P6T (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested) Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (128GB Solid State HOT SELLER (By: Corsair) (Model: CMFSSD-128GBG2D) (Highly Recommended)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1.5TB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections) Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology) Add-on Card: - No Thanks Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended) Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based) Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 1 Year Hassle-free Hardware Service
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 2:00pm
looking good, the only change id make, ill address in your questions

- Should I get a USB 3.0 mb, SATA 6 gb/s ?
might as well with a ssd and usb3 coming into the market, plus...that MSI board looks pretty damn cool.. but i dont know that very many capable HDDs are availible in the configs. you may consider just getting the 1tb drive and waiting a little if you purchase the 3/6 board. may need some dragoonseal input on that one

- Is the brand of power supply and SSD that important?
yes and yes, moreso the SSD than the PSU, but with the corsair being only $30 more than the "certified", theres no excuse not to get corsair
as far as the SSD, intel has the market by the balls, based on what you can read pretty much anywhere, theres no reason to look beyond them for SSDs

- Is OCing the Vid card noticable?
yes, but right now, it would likely prove to take more than it gives. overclocking a video card for 24/7 use is a bit rediculous in my personal opinion. but they are very easy to OC. so you can buy that gtx480 with the knowledge that, down the road, if you get a new cutting edge game in 2 years that slows you down, you can always set up MSI afterburner to give you the extra juice when you need it!

as a price tweak idea, consider getting only a 40gb intel SSD and a 1tb 2nd drive. use the difference in price to up your warranty for another year or more, always nice to have that to fall back on. you have to sit and think about how much space a TB is, i cant imagine useing more than that honestly. i know everyones different but i edit movies, photos, 3d modeling, always have at least 4-6 games installed and do other digital art all the time, i dont think ive ever gone over 300gb used

Edited by !ender_ - 11 Jul 2010 at 2:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply