FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Computer - Undecided - Help Appreciated

Post Date: 2014-06-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vorlon92 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vorlon92 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Computer - Undecided - Help Appreciated
    Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 9:16pm
So I have decided to pull the trigger on a DS PC.  This is a new step for me - I built my last 7 rigs and now with kids and work I don't have the time (or honestly the willpower) to do it again.  So I have done a ton of research and settled on DS. 

Here is what I am considering:

Budget: Ideally $,2500, but I can go up to $3,000. Prefer to keep it near $2,500 to allow for sales tax and shipping.  
Expectation & Usage - Gaming PC (current gen & future games at max settings.  Currently playing Titanfall, Tribes, Diablo 3, Skyrim, Elder Scrolls Online, etc.) to last 4-5 years and double as a primary home PC. Single monitor use, and single vid card - no real interest in SLI or Crossfire.  Basically I want to buy this pc and be done with it for 4-5 years.
Special Needs - my steam library is huge and family pics take up a ton of space so more is always better

other concerns - I prefer mid-tower cases if at all possible and quieter is always better.  I hate when rigs sound like a plane taking off.

here are some builds I have run:
997275 - virtue at $2,500.
997291 - virtue a bit higher, but more fun
997277 - slade at $2,500
997290 - apollo at $2,800 - higher, but more fun than coming in at $2,500.

some questions:
1. All of the GTX 780 cards available in the build options make no reference of a superclocked version being available yet some of the other nividia cards available have a base or superclocked version to chose from.  Is this not an option through DS for 780 cards?
2. cpu boost beyond stage 1 - is this something I should do no matter what build I go with?
3. remote control lighting - this sounds freaking awesome. has anyone got it and is it worth it?  From the sound of it - my kids would love it.  This would seem to be a reason not to go the Slade route as you wouldn't really see it as much.

Love the forums and Thank You in Advance,
Vorlon
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 7:42am
Welcome to the forums Vorlon92!

1. They are willing to acquire any part you want, but it won't be covered by their warranty (still has manufactures warranty) and they charge an additional fee for a special order item ($30?).
2. Stage 2 OC for the CPU shouldn't be a problem with the Devils Canyon CPUs.
3. It allows you to change the color of the lighting for the full range of RGB, I believe. If you want to let your kids play with it, sure why not. ;-)

The Slade is intended to run very quite, here is a review of that: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5708/corsair-obsidian-550d-starting-to-specialize

The Virtue is a micro-ATX case and thus a bit smaller then normal. With a side window, the Stage 2 noise reduction isn't really going to be productive. Here is a review of that case: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6917/corsair-obsidian-350d-case-review

I don't know much about the Apollo case but here is a review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7904/corsair-graphite-760t-case-review

Other then that for a web browsing, office application and gaming PC you would do just as well with an i5-4690K and save a bit. If you need lots of storage, you might want to up the hard drive size to accommodate future needs. All the cases will allow you to add more hard drives if you choose. Also, the stock 780 should be fine as long as you stick with 1080P for the monitor. Here is a quick look at the state of graphics cards: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8072/best-video-cards-may-2014
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 6:24pm
The special order fee is $45 if it is static.  When I asked about the special order for the Noctua NH-15 that is the price they quoted me...
Vorlon92 View Drop Down

Quote Vorlon92 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 8:47pm
Danjw1 & Dax - thank you for the welcome and all of the information.  I just pulled the trigger.  I see two things I want to change tomorrow morning when DS opens and I can call sales, otherwise I am really looking forward to the new rig! 
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 5:45am
So what are you going with?
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 9:45am
Congrats Vorlon!!  I hope you enjoy your rig.  Like what danjw1 said - whatcha getting?  Inquiring minds want to know!!
Vorlon92 View Drop Down

Quote Vorlon92 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 7:41pm
lol man.  OK so my old rig is an i7 920, hd 5870, 6gb ram, 500gb wd black, win 7 pro, and an old asus mobo (the first with usb 3.0).

Currently I am gaming at 1080p and budget is fairly tight with kids, house, blah, blah.  So I tried to future proof this to a decent degree while not going crazy - so good mobo, power supply, ram, etc.  The vid card is fine for now, but I can add to or swap it out at a later date.

System I went with is as follows:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm ODE V3
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (ETA 6/25/14)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel Z97 Chipset) (The Ultimate Power Platform)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W SliverStone Strider
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) (Extreme-Performance Edition)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
- -- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME 1 YEAR WARRANTY UPGRADE ($99 VALUE) Quantity: 1 $0.00
- -- FREE NVIDIA Bundle - Watch_Dogs (Digital Download Code) Quantity: 1 $0.00
- -- FREE Intel Bundle - GRID Autosport, Shadowrun Returns, Star Chart, McAfee LiveSafe (Digital Codes) Quantity: 1 $0.00
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 11:23am
Looks like a great system! I hope you enjoy it!
Vorlon92 View Drop Down

Quote Vorlon92 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 9:04pm
Thank you much. 

So I was at work today reading Deezel's post about his Apollo and thinking damn I really should add a gtx 780ti like he did while I am at it instead of doing it down the road like I already plan to do.  Then my boss walked in and let me know I had some referral bonuses coming in next pay check...I was on the phone with DS 2 minutes later.
Vorlon92 View Drop Down

Quote Vorlon92 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 5:57pm
Stage 6 as of this afternoon!  The wait from stage 5 to stage 6 was excruciating. Cry  Good news is that I just got an 8 day project at work so I can hopefully forget about the wait for a bit. 
BiohazardX-87 View Drop Down

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 6:46pm
Was reading up on some posts and have a question. Probably not the best place to ask it, but the first place I could find it mentioned.

DS allows special orders on parts, which I am aware of, but I saw in this thread (danjw1 stated) that they will not warranty special order parts beyond the manufacturer's supplied warranty.

Did I understand that correctly?

Secondly, and perhaps unnecessarily, if I were to request a special order case it really wouldn't matter as the components are all that would need to be DS warrantied?

Or would case-limitations leading to component failure fall into a "non-DS warrantied" issue? Perhaps I am thinking way too far into this, but I always like to be certain prior to getting unwittingly hosed on technicalities.
Vorlon92 View Drop Down

Quote Vorlon92 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 8:59pm
Hey BiohazardX-87 - I didn't end up ordering anything that was non-DS as I wanted the warranty on the complete system.  However, I like your logic and it seems to make sense if all you are buying is the case. 

I am sure that some of the more tenured folks on here will have an answer for you.  Maybe danjw1 can shed some light for you.
Theokritos View Drop Down

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 10:36am
I had DS custom order a motherboard for my Slade and my understanding is that all of the DS supplied parts and the PC as a whole, excluding the motherboard, are covered by DS warranty. I understood the warranty coverage and exclusions before I ordered my PC and I'm fine with how things are. Smile

Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Clay View Drop Down

Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 5:10pm
Good luck!!
I7 13700KF 5.4hz
ASUS Prime z790 MoBo
ASUS Dual 4070
32g ram@5200
850 Gold PSU
1TB SSD 2TB SSD
27" ASUS Monitor 144hz
Razer Ornata Chroma Keyboard
Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse
Nari Ultimate Headset
Vorlon92 View Drop Down

Quote Vorlon92 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 4:58pm
It just arrived today!!  I will post a review under the general category once I have  time to get it setup and play some games. 

The question is...how long does it take to download an entire steam library on a 18mbps connection :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply