FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New build Questions - SLI or not and other...

Post Date: 2015-02-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
gleek48 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gleek48 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New build Questions - SLI or not and other...
    Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 8:06pm
Budget:
$2,000-$3,000

Expectations:
New PC for High End Gaming and 4K Video Streaming

Usage:
I want my next computer to play the new games at a faster FPS

Special Needs:
I have a i5-3570k with a GTX 670 FTW and was wondering how much faster this new setup would be? My current setup actually seems to be holding up ok, with a PC Mark 7 score of around 5800.

Also, for high end gaming (fast FPS) and 4 K video streaming, would 2 GTX 970's be significantly better than 1 GTX 980 for gaming and 4K video?

Saved Ticket #: 1145802

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97 (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Onboard Creative Sound)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (EVGA ACX Cooler Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Edited by gleek48 - 08 Feb 2015 at 8:12pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 5:15am
Hi gleek48...   That's a real nice build.   As far as performance increase over what you have, a single 970 will give you a significant boost over your 670. Here's a link to compare.....  http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1349?vs=1355

You can also use the link to swap to other cards to compare.   

The 970 is only about 10-15% behind the 980 so sli 970 is a big boost over single 980.    Whether you need sli 970 or not depends on the monitor's resolution and you expectations.  If you want all games to run on Ultra and stay at 60fps or better on a single 1080p, than that's where the added card helps.  If you're gaming on 4K then the sli 970 would be a minmum. 

Most of your gaming performance increase will be with the gtx 970.  Your cpu is still very good.  

I can't speak of streaming.  Never looked into it.

Hope this helps and good luck.  Big%20Smile

FYI.. If your picking the 550D Slade for the best in quiet, which a lot do, then the 240mm rad will mount under the top and require the top acoustic panel to remain off for the rad fans to exit the heat.  Some of the quiet goes away.  The advantage of the 240 mm rad on top is increase case airflow.  

Edited by bprat22 - 09 Feb 2015 at 5:24am
gleek48 View Drop Down

Quote gleek48 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 8:43am
Originally posted by bprat22

If your picking the 550D Slade for the best in quiet, which a lot do, then the 240mm rad will mount under the top and require the top acoustic panel to remain off for the rad fans to exit the heat.  Some of the quiet goes away.  The advantage of the 240 mm rad on top is increase case airflow.

Would the standard 120mm water cooled setup improve the sound level while keeping it cool?

Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 8:47am
Yep.   The 120mm rad would mount inside the back where the exit fan is now and give you very good cooling for the stage 1 overclock.  And, it allows the top acoustic panel to stay on.  It would be quieter. 

Post Reply Post Reply