FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help.

Post Date: 2015-02-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TechNewbie View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TechNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need help.
    Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 5:02pm
Greetings everyone,

So I'm currently saving up for the dream machine. Since day one I set my eyes on Digital Storm I've been amazed with the reviews, the forum community, & just the Aventum chassis itself!

I've never had a desktop before, I've always just been a console kid, & had this laptop I'm on for about 3-4 years. And the specifications of the laptop aren't proper enough to play the games I want without going molten. So instead of buying some decent desktop I've decided to save up for the dream machine & upgrade, replace components from there, just need dedication, & work. I really want the Aventum Chassis!

So I've got a few or maybe more then a few questions regarding this build, & information in general. I'm going to buy this build over Christmas/the holidays. Seeing as there's a Christmas discount, & a big one. I live in Iceland, the tax, shipping costs, & other costs to get it into my country is tat much so the discount will do nicely. I think it's for every $100 dollars I get $10 off the costs in Icelandic currency off the costs. So if I'm buying a computer that is $10.000 I'd get $1.000 dollars off the costs. Which is great.

Here's my dream machine configuration. If I do fall a bit short on money, I'd remove the HDD's, & just buy them at a later date. Or downgrade a tat, but I'd prefer not to.

Configuration note:

The 2x SSD (128GB Samsung 850 PRO) will be in RAID 0.

The 4x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Black Edition) will be in RAID 10.

So here's the list.

1) Will the 1500W Corsair AX1500i PSU be able to handle, & have a bit of wiggle room to run this configuration? I saw the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition) has power consumption of 300W, is that the max, or minimum? Don't mind going 2x 1200W Corsair AX1200i if needed.

2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition) has 3x (Regular DP) is that 1.1, or 1.2? I'm going for 4K 60FPS, 1 monitor, 27" & above. Might add more later for web surfing & so on. It also has HDMI 2.0 isn't that the equal of 1.2 DP? What's the difference between DP, & HDMI?

3) Can NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition) of these fit by each side? They look massive compared to the reference model. Or just might be my drowsy eyes. lol

4) Are there water cooling components for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition) available yet? If not is there a estimate time when they do become available, I'll be buying this computer over Christmas/the holidays.

5) When is Windows 10 coming out, & will Digital Storm have Windows 10 OS on their configuration thingy?

6) Can this configuration run the 2 SSD's in RAID 0, & the 4x 4TB HDD's in Raid 10 at the same time, or will it cause a issue?

7) When will the Aventum III chassis become available, & will there be a option to pick the Aventum II chassis instead?

8) Within this year is there something new coming up? Or the next year, like the next generation of Intel CPU's, 6960X CPU or something like that?

9) When will the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 990 hit the market, or this rumored "NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 Ti"?

10) Are there magnetic dust filter on the Aventum chassis?

11) Are there PSU sleeves available?

12) This goes to the forum moderators, administrators. Is it possible to delete your forum account, & if not can I request that of an administrator to do for me?

Pretty much when I put in my purchase over Christmas/the holidays I want the computer to be completely up to date. And in the future I'd replace, upgrade if needed.

I'm going to use this computer for gaming, hosting a server 24/7 that my friend owns with 16GB-32GB of RAM, & then maybe in the future rendering, & all that computer stuff. Mainly just hardcore gaming.

That's all for now questions wise. If more do pop up in my head, I'll just edit & bump, or reply to my own post.

Best regards,
Technewbie.

Edited by TechNewbie - 28 Feb 2015 at 5:07pm
Where there is love there is life. - Mahatma Gandhi - Rest in peace.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 11:46pm
Welcome to DS and the forums.

Wow. Quite an impressive build and list of questions.

The only one I can answer is number 12. I haven't seen "Delete" as part of the forum accounts. What changes would you like to make to your forum account?

As for further questions, I would suggest replying to this thread.

Cheers
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 12:43am
1) Yes, you're fine with teh 1500W unit, even including aging of the PSU and duty cycles of the components. But if you plan on doing any additional overclocking of your own, additional power could help.

2) 1.2. There are some signaling differences between HDMI and DP. DP 1.2 has a little more bandwidth than HDMI 2.0, and can have better sub-sampling at UHD 60Hz, but HDMI will have audio pass through and can handle the lossless audio files from Blu-ray disks. You haven't selected a Blu-ray drive, so this is probably irrelevant to you.

3) Yes, you will fill up all the space for PCI-e expansion cards. The water blocks that will go on the cards actually take up less space than the air-coolers, but all of the bracket space will be used up.

4) Yes. EK has put some water blocks on the market specifically for the STRIX cards.

5) When MS releases W10 to retail, they'll add it. But, you can get the W10 Technical Preview by joining the Windows Insider program and with the O/S you'll get with your computer you'll be entitled to a free upgrade to W10 when it comes out.

6) I haven't dealt with multiple RAID arrays before, but the on-board RAID controller is in the PCH (X99) chip and has 6 SATA-III ports that are RAID capable. Someone else may have an answer if this can support multiple arrays or not.

7) Probably only if they have a few chassis' left from their final production run. I don't really see much of a reason for them to continue offering both cases, as the III supersedes the II. The only reasons to go with the II are for aesthetics, if you need two PSUs, or if you want an extra large server motherboard.

8) Only thing worth waiting for in the immediate future is the R9 300 series cards from AMD. 2011-3 socket processors will only have incremental updates and not worth the wait (Intel has been having issues with Broadwell, so I wouldn't plan on seeing the 6960X for a while, yet).

9) I highly doubt there will be a GTX 990, just as there was no GTX 790. My guess is the next NVIDIA dual-GPU card will be a dual GM200 that succeeds the Titan Z. And with the latest rumors that the GM200 is lacking on double precision compute, I'm guessing the GTX 980 Ti may be the rumored 6GB version of the GM200 and the Titan being the 12GB version, as the double precision ratio can't be artificially reduced as was done for the GTX 780 Ti. GDC is later on this week, so we may find out more then. AMD may trump those cards with the R9 300 series cards, so watch out for that, too.

10) I don't believe so. There are no dust filters on my Bolt II.

11) Not sure about this. At worst, you could custom order this as Corsair offers sleeved modular cables.

Edited by  - 01 Mar 2015 at 12:44am
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 1:15am
In the USA, you can't, pull continuous 1500 watts* from the wall. And power supplies are not 100% efficient, so I am not sure how you can hope for much better than the listed supply

Like with amps, caps in the supply, can probably supply more power for transient needs. I don't see the need for two supplies either, because unless you are on dual circuits you still have the circuit's continuous rating to contend with.

I once measured my current rig at 750 watts or so, which is GTX 780 SLI. I believe current video cards use less power than my 780s

* In theory, even with 120 V, and 15 amps, you will come up short of continuos, as circuit is really only rated for 80% of that continuously

Edited by michaeljhuman - 01 Mar 2015 at 1:15am
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 1:25am
You can use uninterruptable power supplies between the wall and computer to help to large power draws. I wouldn't expect that rig to pull 1500W continuous, anyhow...maybe 1400W with overclocking from DS while running synthetic benchmarks.   Also, spending $12k on a computer may also mean it could be reasonable to put it on a dedicated 20A breaker, too.

The GTX 980's are rated at 165W TDP, although they do spike a bit more than that, but I doubt they have a maximum instantaneous draw of anywhere close to 300W.

Quote TechNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 2:08am
Originally posted by 

1) Yes, you're fine with teh 1500W unit, even including aging of the PSU and duty cycles of the components. But if you plan on doing any additional overclocking of your own, additional power could help.

2) 1.2. There are some signaling differences between HDMI and DP. DP 1.2 has a little more bandwidth than HDMI 2.0, and can have better sub-sampling at UHD 60Hz, but HDMI will have audio pass through and can handle the lossless audio files from Blu-ray disks. You haven't selected a Blu-ray drive, so this is probably irrelevant to you.

3) Yes, you will fill up all the space for PCI-e expansion cards. The water blocks that will go on the cards actually take up less space than the air-coolers, but all of the bracket space will be used up.

4) Yes. EK has put some water blocks on the market specifically for the STRIX cards.

5) When MS releases W10 to retail, they'll add it. But, you can get the W10 Technical Preview by joining the Windows Insider program and with the O/S you'll get with your computer you'll be entitled to a free upgrade to W10 when it comes out.

6) I haven't dealt with multiple RAID arrays before, but the on-board RAID controller is in the PCH (X99) chip and has 6 SATA-III ports that are RAID capable. Someone else may have an answer if this can support multiple arrays or not.

7) Probably only if they have a few chassis' left from their final production run. I don't really see much of a reason for them to continue offering both cases, as the III supersedes the II. The only reasons to go with the II are for aesthetics, if you need two PSUs, or if you want an extra large server motherboard.

8) Only thing worth waiting for in the immediate future is the R9 300 series cards from AMD. 2011-3 socket processors will only have incremental updates and not worth the wait (Intel has been having issues with Broadwell, so I wouldn't plan on seeing the 6960X for a while, yet).

9) I highly doubt there will be a GTX 990, just as there was no GTX 790. My guess is the next NVIDIA dual-GPU card will be a dual GM200 that succeeds the Titan Z. And with the latest rumors that the GM200 is lacking on double precision compute, I'm guessing the GTX 980 Ti may be the rumored 6GB version of the GM200 and the Titan being the 12GB version, as the double precision ratio can't be artificially reduced as was done for the GTX 780 Ti. GDC is later on this week, so we may find out more then. AMD may trump those cards with the R9 300 series cards, so watch out for that, too.

10) I don't believe so. There are no dust filters on my Bolt II.

11) Not sure about this. At worst, you could custom order this as Corsair offers sleeved modular cables.

Hey ,

Thanks for answering all of my questions with full & informative answers. Really appreciate it. So DP is the winning choice, right? Now if someone out there could answer the RAID question (number 6). I'd appreciate that as well. :)

Best regards,
TechNewbie.

Edited by TechNewbie - 01 Mar 2015 at 2:09am

Quote TechNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 2:15am
Originally posted by 

You can use uninterruptable power supplies between the wall and computer to help to large power draws. I wouldn't expect that rig to pull 1500W continuous, anyhow...maybe 1400W with overclocking from DS while running synthetic benchmarks.   Also, spending $12k on a computer may also mean it could be reasonable to put it on a dedicated 20A breaker, too.

The GTX 980's are rated at 165W TDP, although they do spike a bit more than that, but I doubt they have a maximum instantaneous draw of anywhere close to 300W.

Hey ,

So I should buy a 20A Breaker when I actually put in my purchase for this beast of a computer? I'm a complete noob when it comes to these things. So advice, & accessories that will help the computer to last longer I'd appreciate it.

Also another question if you know anything about it.

My internet isn't the best, & your internet connection can be a bottleneck sometimes, right? So isn't there a some sort of a router you can buy that increases the aspects of what a router should do? I'll have this computer directly hooked up. But I'd prefer more download, & upload speed. :)

Best regards,
TechNewbie.

Edited by TechNewbie - 01 Mar 2015 at 2:22am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 2:19am
Got it, will take a look, and I have deleted the posts in this thread.

Quote TechNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 2:21am
Originally posted by Snaike

Got it, will take a look, and I have deleted the posts in this thread.

Hey Snaike,

Cheers for that. If needed I'll hop over on that forum account, & verify somehow. :)

Best regards,
TechNewbie.
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 3:46am
If it was me, and I was using a 1500 watt supply, I would assume it was adequate with a 15A circuit, and a normal voltage at the wall.

1500 watts should be adequate, as you see people managing 4-way SLI with them.

I suppose if a person had blue screens of death, like I did once, they might suspect adequate wall power, but I have not heard people talk about such a scenario. I used to spend a lot of time in audio forums, and I see people overthinking these things. I was just trying to be realistic about power - you ARE limited by the wall power, but it's highly likely adequate for anything you will build including 4-way. 1500 watts may even be overkill, but you get the best efficiency if you are not loading the power supply at 100% ( you really want to load it around 50% for best efficiency, but we are talking small differences in efficiency IMO)

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
 Post Reply Post Reply