FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help setting up a gaming desktop

Post Date: 2014-09-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Anonymous Red Player View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anonymous Red Player Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need help setting up a gaming desktop
    Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 4:38pm
Budget:
No more then two thousand dollars.

Expectations:
Just need a computer to hold large games and music with no problems and being a graphics freak like me, i'm hoping to have one that can run them are the best graphics

Usage:
Planning to use it for games like skyrim, archage and battlefeild 4.

Special Needs:
No special needs that i know of.. i hardly know anything about computers though

Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 5:19pm
Alright, so it looks like you're primarily interested in two things: Graphics performance and data storage. Let's see what we can get...

For graphics performance, I think the components you need to examine are the Processor, which is like the "brains" of the computer, the RAM, which is *sort of* like it's short-term memory, and the Graphics Card, which, as the name implies, is responsible for handling the graphics. Here's how to judge the quality of those parts:

Processors: Essentially, the more GHz and cores, the better: 3.5 GHz is better than 3.0, and quad core is better than dual core.

RAM: The more GB, the better. 16 GB is better than 8 GB.

Graphics Card: Again, the more GB the better, along with the model number (generally). 4 GB is better than 2 GB and 980 is better than 970.

For data, there are both super fast Solid State Drives and normal speed hard drives--SSDs are expensive so I'll just look at hard drives. The more RPM a hard drive has, the faster it goes, but for data, which is important to you, it's all about TBs. The more TBs a hard drive has, the more stuff it can contain (i.e a 6 TB drive can hold twice as many games, songs, movies, whatever as a 3 TB one).

With all that said, here's a config for you to look at:

https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1055085

I took the cheapest desktop (the Virtue), shaved off a few dollars by moving it to a cheaper but bulkier case and going with default Intel overclocking, and gave you some features which should allow you to play at the max settings of Battlefield 4 very comfortably.

You have the default quad-core 3.5 GHz Intel Processor.
You have 16 GB of RAM
and you have the NVidia 980 graphics card, which is significantly more expensive than the default 970, but I thought you might need it for the absolute best performance.

I also gave you a single 3tb hard drive. That ought to keep you set for a long time, even I've never used much more than 1.5 TB on any individual computer I've owned.

The total comes out to 1945$. Remember, though, that's BEFORE shipping and taxes, so you might want to go with the default 970 and maybe even the default 8 GB of ram or a 2 TB hard drive to reduce the price if shipping is expensive.

Also remember that this computer is going to be both bulky and noisy. If space is an issue for you, you may want to go with the original Virtue chassis, or if you want to go really small you could look at the Bolt II. That's a little more expensive, though.

Now, I'm not an expert--you should wait for Alex or a forum veteran like Arkansaswoman or bprat to come along with suggestions. I also HIGHLY recommend talking to Brian Benoit via chat, if you can. :D

Edited by Gunlord - 26 Sep 2014 at 5:20pm
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 6:33pm
I changed the build up a bit came to 1,746 not including shipping and handling

https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1055113

as it is ram is cheap and if you ever need anymore i think it will be easy to install. I put the I5 4590 instead of the k version as its a bit cheaper. The case i have seen on overclock.net appears to be roomy and the psu and cords will be on the other side. I changed the graphics card and cooler and upgraded all the fans which can install up to 6 fans.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 28 Sep 2014 at 6:24am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 5:37pm
With all of that help it's going to be one solid system. Looks good with the suggestions.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 6:19am
Memory speed isn't going to big effect on your gaming performance, so I would stick with 1600Mhz. If you can swing it, an SSD as a boot drive will improve boot times and game load times.   Though, they are more limited in storage space. Many go for a smallish SSD and a hard drive for bulk data.

Even if you aren't having DS overclock the CPU, the Motherboard in both suggested builds has a utility to overclock the CPU and tune the fans. So it may make sense to go with a 'K' processor, even if you aren't having DS overclock it for you. I am not aware of any auto-overclocking tools for GPUs, so it may be worth the service few to have DS do that for you. The 900 series have a fair bit of headroom for overclocking, from the reviews I have read.

As far as the case choice, that has a lot to do with aesthetic taste. Though you should also consider the cooling abilities of the case (the number and size of fans and where they are placed). Top exhaust fans a good to pump heat out of the case, since hot air rises. If you have a dusty environment, you probably want a case with intake fan filters.

All that said, you may want to consider the Vanquish II which are the best bang for the buck from DS, since they are prebuilt and can't be customized. Currently the level 4 is shipping with a GTX 770 GPU, but I expect that will change to the GTX 970 once they burn through their stock.

Both builds above are using a Micro-ATX motherboard in a full ATX case. These have a benefit of greater expandability, but also take up more space. Here is a build in a Micro-ATX case that has a smallish (128GB) SSD, a 1TB hard drive with a GTX 980 GPU and an unlocked i5-4690k so you can take advantage of the auto overclocking: https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1055673. It would be fairly simple to add an addition (maybe scavenged from your current system) to add an addition hard drive. It comes with just 2 fans one 140mm in front and one 120mm in the rear. It will take 3 more 120mm or 140mm fans with an additional mount in the front and two more on the top. These too should be pretty easy to add.

I hope this helps!
 Post Reply Post Reply