FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lance Laptop?

Post Date: 2014-06-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Fez73 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fez73 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Lance Laptop?
    Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 9:27pm
I need a new gaming laptop to replace my old Alienware M17x R2.  Not only is my Alienware now 4 years old, but it has always been a bit too heavy and cumbersome when traveling.  So, to lessen the back pain, I'm looking at a Lance with the 8GB 880M card. 

When I'm home I typically plug my laptops into an external monitor and set them on a laptop cooler.  Currently, I have a 4k Samsung monitor.  I don't necessarily need to run at 4k when gaming, but it would be nice to have the capability if the 880M can handle it.  Currently my Alienware AMD 5870M cards get so hot when gaming that I'm fairly limited (probably a case where I need to reapply thermal paste and do some internal cleaning, but the laptop is getting outdated all the same.

So, can the Lance give me what I need?  Solid gaming in a smaller package?  Thanks for the advice.
Fez73 View Drop Down

Quote Fez73 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 5:01pm
Anyone have a Lance laptop?  Doesn't seem like my message is garnering any responses as of yet.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 5:40pm
There definitely are people who have the Lance, but I'm guessing they slipped passed this thread.

The GTX 880M is a very capable card and is the equivalent of a full desktop GTX 770 in terms of performance. Should give you the performance you are looking for without burning you in the process.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 10:03am
I don't have the Lance, but the larger Krypton with the 880M.  I'm not sure of the difference in thermals since the form factor is smaller, but I can tell you the Krypton runs cooler than any gaming laptop I've had so far.  Heat is well-directed out of the back ports and my keyboard doesn't heat up like on past units from other vendors.  I have an active laptop cooler that it rests on, but I've never needed to turn on the fans to cool it.

Since the Lance appears to have a Clevo case with a similar design to the Krypton, I suspect you'll have similar results, but couldn't say for sure.

I would think if the Lance has the same DisplayPort and mini-DP outputs of the Krypton, you'll have no trouble driving a 4K monitor, but again, I don't have a 4K monitor, so can't say for sure.

Come on, Lance owners, let's hear your thoughts! Hahaha
 Post Reply Post Reply