FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just bought new computer, recommended software?

Post Date: 2014-05-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Spyke View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spyke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Just bought new computer, recommended software?
    Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:05am
Hey guys just bought a Vanquish 2, level 4 after months of research and saving of money. This is what I plan to buy or install

For Sure:
Eset Smart Security or Nod 32 still undecided. It seems smart security is Nod32 with more features, but not to sure if those added features are really needed (I play MMOs and browse the internet, etc)

Additional downloads:

CleanUp! this worked really well on my laptop, it seems to free up space pretty easily) I think I will download this again.

CC-Cleaner: I used this on my laptop, not really sure what it does or if it is necessary what do you guys think?

Malwarebytes: Had this on my laptop, but now that I am going to purchase Eset I am not sure if this is really necessary anymore, thoughts?

Iobit Advanced SystemCare: I would run this program daily on my laptop, but it seemed really buggy and it added alot of other programs on my laptop (driver booster, uninstaller, defragger, etc) I am cautious about downloading this on my new computer because of the buggs and additional programs. Do you guys think this is a necessary product to keep your computer running well?

Programs I didn't mention:

Is there any other really important program that a new PC should have that I have omitted?

Thanks for the input guys, I am not very tech savy so it can be difficult at times to tell what actually helps vs. hurts a computer.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:14am
As mentioned in other threads...

HWMonitor - Min, Current and Max temp voltage comparisons for heavy gaming sessions. (Be warned the software sometimes reads the mainboard temp at 120º)
CCleaner - great for removing orphan files and general maintenance
Speccy - From the same folks as CCleaner - for temp/voltage comparisons
Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware for obvious reasons

There is also on the disc from DS an Asus Monitoring Program. OCCT seems to be highly recommended for checking system performance, but it seems geared for over clocked machines.

I also use avast! pro as anti-virus and am very happy with that decision.

Hope that list helps. I'm sure there are others with really great suggestions, too.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2014 at 11:24am
Snaike got em all!
Theokritos View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2014 at 7:05pm
Free programs:
Firefox with the addons: BetterPrivacy, Grammarly Lite, and NoScript; Thunderbird; Eraser; Tweetdeck; 7-Zip.
Paid programs:
1Password; Norton Antivirus.
Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
 Post Reply Post Reply