FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

i4770K OC using Maximus VI Impact

Post Date: 2014-09-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
simflyer905 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote simflyer905 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: i4770K OC using Maximus VI Impact
    Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 12:01pm
Anyone get a stable OC of a 4770k on the Bolt II (Maximus VI Impact) ? I can't seem to get this thing to hold 4.5 Ghz without occasionally freezing up.

I've updated my BIOS, which reverted to stock settings, and then applied a 44 setting to all cores, as well as the Cache min/max values. I have 1.281v applied for both CPU and cache. Used XMP to increase my Dominator Platinums to 2000Mhz, and that seems ok even with stock timings. I haven't touched anything else that COULD possibly allow this thing to OC further while remaining stable.

Looking for help from someone who knows what other tweaks I can do to get 4.5 or 4.6 working stable. My Hardware setup is posted below.

thanks in advance!
Bolt II (Onyx Black)
500w PSU | i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz | 240mm Rad | Nvidia GTX780 3GB
16GB CORSAIR Dominator Platinum (CL9) @ 2000Mhz
2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Dual Dell U2414H | Windows 8.1 Pro
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 1:00pm
I don't overclock myself but I would either up vcore a little at a time, staying in the low 1.3 range. Check cpu temps as you up vcore. Or, drop ram speed to 1600 and see if that helps with stability. They are related.   Like said, I don't do it, so it's all on you.

It could also be the chip you have.   Some are a lot better at overclocking than others. A luck of the draw. Some call it ,the silicon lottery.

Good luck.

Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 1:41pm
Did you have us overclock the CPU when you originally ordered your Bolt II?
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

Quote simflyer905 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 1:44pm
Oh I'm fully aware of the 'lottery'. Still confident that there are some tweaking that can be done with the hundreds of advanced features in the BIOS. If not, why would ASUS go to all the trouble?

Hopefully some other Bolt II owners can share their tweaks.

Originally posted by bprat22

I don't overclock myself but I would either up vcore a little at a time, staying in the low 1.3 range. Check cpu temps as you up vcore. Or, drop ram speed to 1600 and see if that helps with stability. They are related.   Like said, I don't do it, so it's all on you.

It could also be the chip you have.   Some are a lot better at overclocking than others. A luck of the draw. Some call it ,the silicon lottery.

Good luck.

Bolt II (Onyx Black)

Quote simflyer905 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Asangard

Did you have us overclock the CPU when you originally ordered your Bolt II?

I did not. I had to do everything possible to keep costs down as shipping to Canada was insanely costly (nobody's fault). I think it's important for people to get comfortable with the BIOS also. You learn a lot.

Bolt II (Onyx Black)
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 6:19pm
The self described "king of all things over-clocked" should be around shortly... he's probably got a thing or two to help with...

btw, it's Meller, if you didn't know.    
Ragevirusqq View Drop Down

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 8:40am
you could dl and give the AIsuite 3 a try since you have an ASUS board. This has a couple of overoclock utilities built in and they run stress tests and everyting for you and will/can apply predetermined "safe OC" based on your chip. It is not as fun as doing the math and cycling and testing yourself but it may get you close to your target. There is not as much fine tuning manual adjustments either so you cant squeeze every bit of juice out. But something to play with while you wait for Meller to give you a lesson. 
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 3:56pm
Let the record show, I've never once called myself the king of all things over-clocked.

There are several other tweaks we can do that could get you to 4.5ghz or possibly even 4.6ghz without pushing your vcore much higher, such as adjusting your base clock. Though I wouldn't recommended.

If you can get your 4770k to high 4.4ghz with a ~1.25volts, call yourself lucky and just stop there. Especially since we're working in a small form factor case. Given that 4.2ghz is done at around 1.2volt... that's not bad at all. I'd say you have an average chip if not just slightly under.

Now if you were to be pushing a much more exotic cooling, I'd say let's get her closer to 1.3v. 1.28v is kind of hot for that chip anyways.

My recommendation, don't touch yoru blk for overclocking and stay at 1.25-1.28v for 4.4ghz. If anything, try and start backing down that voltage to as low as you can to keep 4.4ghz. that 100mhz higher just isn't worth the heat and damage for that slim case.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2

Quote simflyer905 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 8:09pm
Thanks Meller. Sounds like good advice for the moment.

Tell me, are there any obvious or no-brainer settings one would (or a tech would, in the case of bench testing a machine before shipping out) need to make on a clean BIOS ?   My BIOS settings were reset when I did the firmware update.   I'm worried that there are some things that should be set a certain way otherwise I may not be achieving maximum performance.   

Right now, I've just set the xmp profile for memory to a little higher than stock, and manually punched in the voltages for CPU and cache, nothing else.   Am I ok ?

SF
Bolt II (Onyx Black)
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Meller

Let the record show, I've never once called myself the king of all things over-clocked.

This, as far as I know, is a true statement.  I do recall, however, a thread some time ago that was answered by Meller about overclocking where the response was approximately 7 paragraphs...  ending, I believe, with the phrase:

"I just made this thread my b**ch." 

Therefore, by inference, we (the non-technical, non-informed and non-geeks) in the crowd will always refer to Meller as the "king of all things overclocked".  Big%20Smile

*Caveat:  "Geek" is used in a tone of respect and admiration.

Quote simflyer905 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 2:04pm
Was able to dial my vcore down to 1.256 whilst staying at 4.4.   No hangs just yet, and I am running several virtual machines, etc.   

Want to ensure I find the magic voltage for maximum stability. What kind of test would you recommend?    

SF

Originally posted by Meller

There are several other tweaks we can do that could get you to 4.5ghz or possibly even 4.6ghz without pushing your vcore much higher, such as adjusting your base clock. Though I wouldn't recommended.

If you can get your 4770k to high 4.4ghz with a ~1.25volts, call yourself lucky and just stop there. Especially since we're working in a small form factor case. Given that 4.2ghz is done at around 1.2volt... that's not bad at all. I'd say you have an average chip if not just slightly under.

Now if you were to be pushing a much more exotic cooling, I'd say let's get her closer to 1.3v. 1.28v is kind of hot for that chip anyways.

My recommendation, don't touch yoru blk for overclocking and stay at 1.25-1.28v for 4.4ghz. If anything, try and start backing down that voltage to as low as you can to keep 4.4ghz. that 100mhz higher just isn't worth the heat and damage for that slim case.
Bolt II (Onyx Black)

Quote simflyer905 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 2:06pm
Thanks, I did play with AI suite quite a bit in the beginning, but found that although it seemed to give me the OC's I wanted, in the end my machine didn't seem stable. I would get the occasional BSOD. I'm also fearful that it's not going to shave every little bit of voltage off to keep the heat down.   Its a pretty slick application though. Kudos to ASUS.

SF

Originally posted by Ragevirusqq

you could dl and give the AIsuite 3 a try since you have an ASUS board. This has a couple of overoclock utilities built in and they run stress tests and everyting for you and will/can apply predetermined "safe OC" based on your chip. It is not as fun as doing the math and cycling and testing yourself but it may get you close to your target. There is not as much fine tuning manual adjustments either so you cant squeeze every bit of juice out. But something to play with while you wait for Meller to give you a lesson. 
Bolt II (Onyx Black)
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 2:50pm
1.25volts for 4.4ghz is good. It's really good actually. If you're using XMP profiles for your memory, and manually adjusting your clock ratios and vcores... that's all that needs to be done. Everything else won't really effect performance (at least not for what we're doing here). There are tons of settings we can play with... but we aren't using LN2 for cooling... so let's not.

As for your VM's. That memory frequency and how tight your timings are, will effect the speed of them. Though not too much, so it's not like you really need to worry about that either.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply