FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Home theater Bolt 2 review

Post Date: 2014-06-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
brianedm View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote brianedm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Home theater Bolt 2 review
    Posted: 07 Jun 2014 at 10:57am
Hello all,

This is my review for the copper matte Bolt 2 I received about 2-3 weeks or so ago. My PC is 100% used as a home theater pc for playing games. I'm gonna divide it into pros and cons sections since I unfortunately have some cons to list as well. My config has an i7 4770k, gtx 770, and 8 gb ram.

PROS

This is by far the most gorgeous pc I've ever seen. The custom paint job I got is absolutely flawless. This seems like a good time to post pictures.

Full home theater view

Bolt 2 front, pc pff

Bolt 2 leds

This computer has handled every game I've thrown at it with no issues, smooth gameplay on the highest settings. runs nice and quiet. I can turn it on, walk to my couch, and turn on my AVR and TV with my Harmony remote and it's already fully booted up before they even get turned on. The start up time actually blows my mind every time. The wiring job is nice and clean. All in all a very solid build on an ABSOLUTELY gorgeous computer.

CONS

I honestly feel like the customer service has been lacking through my entire experience. My wait time was changed from about 4 weeks to about 6 weeks. Understandable because they were waiting on a part. What's not understandable is why I wasn't notified of this change until I asked about it. An email updating me would have been appreciated. after all that I was shipped the wrong computer entirely. Not sure how that doesn't get double checked prior to shipping. The only 2 options I was given were to return the computer and have my original computer built from scratch (who knows how long that would take), or to be refunded the difference. I took the difference. This, of course, meant I was forced to pay for an i7 processor on a pc used exclusively for gaming, the definition of overkill. My pc also didn't include the part I'd waited 6 weeks for, meaning I could have ordered this pc at any time and been gaming a lot sooner. I was willing to wait and wasn't offered any options besides take it or wait an indeterminate amount of time for a whole new pc to be built from scratch.

Even besides those issues, my pc originally had a fair amount of issues. For a company that advertises their quality control so much there was some very obvious issues with the pc. There was no overclocking done. There was no remote control for the leds included, so for the first couple weeks my only option was a bright green eye sore. and, most notably, the fans ran on high constantly, no matter what the computer was doing at the time. I've now got these issues fixed, but I had to install a new led controller and some resistors myself. Not exactly the premium experience advertised.

Through all these issues no extra compensation for my time or hassle was ever offered.

CONCLUSION

The PC is amazing. Now that all my issues have been figured out I'm very happy with it. It's gorgeous, quiet and runs fast. That being said, I wouldn't recommend Digital Storm to a friend or order from them again. Too many hassles and a complete lack of empathy for my struggles with them. If they'd made any sort of good faith gesture to make things right with me, compensation for my time working through these issues, shipping me out the amount of ram I'd originally ordered (16, not 8), really any sort of gesture at all would have went a long way. Unfortunately, none of those things happened. I'd describe my experience with Digital Storms customer service as being very reactive, and not proactive at all.
stevenmi89 View Drop Down

Quote stevenmi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 12:51am
Gee. That sound's like a somewhat rough experience. I'm still waiting on my Bolt 2. I ordered mine on 5/22 - $3000 build.

My order got all the way to stage 6 before I was notified that the wrong motherboard had been installed. At least they caught it though. I was also told my order would be upgraded to 3-day shipping from ground to compensate for the trouble, so I am happy and grateful for that. It passed Stage 7 last Wednesday and I guess I'm just waiting for it to be packed up.

Hopefully, when i get it, it's 100% correct and I can just plug n' play (the main reason I went with a boutique).

Thanks for the review. I'll come back and make my own when I get my rig.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 11:49am
Hi brianedm,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I’m glad to hear that you were impressed with the overall product but sorry to hear about what happened with the mix up. This is definitely not something that occurs on a regular basis, your situation is definitely going to be a learning lesson for us.

While we do strive to be perfect, the reality is that the likelihood of a mix up can occur, it’s rare nevertheless but possible since humans can make mistakes. However I’m not saying this as an excuse, we’re always open to valuable feedback and improving the business for our customers. Perfection is always the goal!

I also understand where you’re coming from about some sort of compensation for the entire ordeal. It’s definitely different than when a customer receives a computer that has a bad memory stick or video card, a configuration mix up is a whole different situation. Our staff was not prepared on dealing with this type of situation since it occurs so rarely.

To help make things right, we’ll offer you a free upgrade from 8GB of memory to 16GB of memory. I will also share an action plan for future situations with our team so we can handle this type of stuff better. I will be sending you an email shortly to confirm.

Other than that, I hope you continue to enjoy your new system.

Edited by Alex - 08 Jun 2014 at 11:50am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 11:57am
stevenmi89,

We would love for you to post your review including pictures! Based on what I saw, the unit looks really nice with the white paint job!

I do see where the QA team identified the motherboard needed to be changed, which has already been taken care of. I also see that we upgraded your shipping to make up for the delay, the unit should be coming to you very soon!

I'll inform the guys to send you tracking details ASAP.

Quote stevenmi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 4:58pm
Hi,

Thanks Alex. My order shipped today, although without the 3-day shipping upgrade I was told I would get. Happy it shipped though. Excited to get it Monday.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 7:27pm
Sure, I do see and you most likely see it as well that your order is set to 3 Day Air. Not sure why the system still went with Ground per your original method versus the free upgrade we did.

I'll ask the team to try to call FedEx to upgrade shipping if it's still possible.

Moving forward, feel free to contact me directly at any time, I try to come on the forums as much as possible, but email is generally faster.

Quote stevenmi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 8:08pm
Yeah, you guys definitely did put in the upgrade. Shows on receipt as well, which I very much appreciate. Maybe just a glitch. I wasn't complaining about it or anything.

All in all, I'm not too worried about it. The best things in life are worth the wait.

Edited by stevenmi89 - 10 Jun 2014 at 9:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply