FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with new Haswell-E configuration

Post Date: 2014-11-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
drfm View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote drfm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help with new Haswell-E configuration
    Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 11:37am
Looking for a new computer that will last me for years (5-7)

Budget: Around $5,000 for computer only

Expectations: Very fast, quite, reliable and can be upgraded easily. Low maintenance

Usage: General computing, desktop publishing, Photoshop, Premier Pro, creating DVDs of old family movies, etc.

Special Needs: Would like it to be as quite as possible. The case should have 3 or more exposed 5.25 slots for optical drives and other accesories. Case should be less than 24" tall to fit under desk and ventilation is not at the top (to prevent dust from entering computer and to keep system quite if possible). I know the Obsidian 550D can't handle E-ATX. There are other bigger Corsair cases on thier website but not listed on Digital Storm list.

Saved Ticket #: 1094427
Configuration Code: 1094427
Total Price with Instant Savings: $5,080.00

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU) <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS X99-E WS (Intel X99 Chipset) (Workstation Class) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance) <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair AX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black) <br><strong></strong>
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 PRO) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Enterprise Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans) <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material) <br><strong></strong>
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 1:28pm
Hi drfm... Nice build.   Do you plan on upgrading to a 3 or 4 gtx 980 setup?   If not I would save some money and go with the 5820k cpu. Only difference between 5930k and 5820k is the number of Pcie lanes from cpu. 5820k has 28 lanes and gives you full x16 on single or x16x8 on sli. No difference with x8 and x16 with 3.0 slots. The 5930k does give you 40 lanes, but not needed with anything less than 4 x 980. Performance between the x8 and x16 lanes like I said shows no difference, maybe a frame or two.

I would also go with the Deluxe mobo for the same reason. The WS with its PLX multiplexing chip does give you x16 bandwidth on 4 or 5 video card setup, but not really needed unless your expanding to many more cards.

A 850 watt psu is plenty for adding another 980 in sli. Unless you're plans are more cards.

It is a great setup, but you could save a few bucks.

Hope this helps.
drfm View Drop Down

Quote drfm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 4:07pm
Thanks DS Elite
I doubt I'll use more than 2 GTS 980 cards but who knows for the future. The 5930K gives me a higher clock speed too, so I'll stick with it.

The reason I'm going with the WS is because of it's "stability" which I am more interested in than over clocking.

You have a good point about the power supply which I might drop to the 850 or 1050 Corsair.

My dilemma is in the case. Although Digital Storm has the Obsidian as an option for the Asus WS motherboard, other places on the internet indicate that the WS board would not fit in the Obsidian 550D (max is an ATX board).

Also not sure about the liquid cooler fan if it will be mounted on the rear of the case. Maybe somebody from DS can answer that.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 4:17pm
I'm pretty sure it will probably without a doubt be mounted on the rear of the case
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 5:40pm
I'm not sure if the X99-E WS board is any more "stable" than the Deluxe board. The only thing it may have over the Deluxe board are the 12k capacitors, which I'm not sure how much that really buys you. For workstation boards, the stability really comes with all of the validation for compatibility, which is a two-way street, because it depends on what software it is validated against.

If you do not want any errors in memory, then you will want to move to ECC memory. You will have to special order a different motherboard that supports ECC, as the X99-E WS does not (this is part of my skepticism to the X99-E WS really being a "workstation class" motherboard; it also has the consumer grade X99 chipset instead of the enterprise C612 chipset). The ECC will be slower in clock speed, as well as the additional clock cycles required for the error code checking.

Also, if you want full ECC protection, you will have to move to a workstation class graphics card, NVIDIA Quadro or AMD Fire Pro, for ECC VRAM.

Here is a configuration with customization notes for a Gigabyte MW50-SV0 motherboard (ATX; C612 chipset), Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 processor, Crucial CT4K4G4RFS8213 ECC memory, and an NVIDIA K5200 graphics card. I guessing DS will charge in the area between $3200-4000 for these components to be added.
https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1094615
drfm View Drop Down

Quote drfm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 5:52am
I didn't consider a Xeon setup here as DS still list X79 and C206 chipsets and Xeon V2 processors. I may have to go to another vendor or build one myself unless you are telling me that I can have DS build a system from any parts I choose. Then what about technical support if they are not familiar with the parts and how long will that take.

The new system I am looking to buy will be replacing a Dual Xeon computer I built based on a Supermicro motherboard.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 7:01am
DS will order and install pretty much anything you want.  But, there is a handling fee, etc for each special order.  You'd need to contact them for all the particulars.  
 Post Reply Post Reply