FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hailstorm II mostly cooling question

Post Date: 2015-01-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lois grits View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lois grits Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Hailstorm II mostly cooling question
    Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 9:11pm
A bit about me. I have been a competitors customer for many years. I was not happy with my last system. I wasn't sure of some of the component/cooling changes that I was making and how they would work together (or even if they would). My first couple of systems they were more than happy to help me be sure that what I was buying would all be happy together, the last time I got a "we cannot recommend"... so.. not being the hardware guru I was less than happy with my last system. This time is was even worse.. so.. here I am.. liking what I see so far.

On to the questions:

I don't see any of your standard systems putting water cooling to anything but the CPU. Is the air flow for the towers adequate for the high end video? My current system has one failed video, a failed SSD, my second video card is on the edge. Most of which I blame on overheating. The fan setup has never worked right in my current case.

Budget:
generous (can i still get black friday? :) )

Expectations:
I want to be able to play almost every game I play on ultra with 60+ fps, both rpg's and mmo's (current high use Dragon Age Inquisition, WOW, FFXIV, Minecraft (hey i played muds... remember muds?). I am old.. I need my system to help make up for the reduced reaction time.

Usage:
Mostly I game. I also do some large dataset processing for work, but rarely use my home pc for that.

Special Needs:
I have two dogs, I love them dearly but they do add to the general dirt and dust my systems need to put up with.

Saved Ticket #: 1137744 (except windows 7 pro... don't make me do windows 8!)

Specifications:
Notes: second ssd because I currently have over 250G of games and system installed. Would like one drive specific for game installations.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Hailstorm II Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU) <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS X99-DELUXE (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair HX1050
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO) <br><strong></strong>
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Black 6GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Zx (Includes Audio Control Module) <br><strong></strong>
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 1: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only)
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
They all moved away from me on the bench there. The Group W bench.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 10:33pm
Welcome to the forums, lois grits.  While I can't speak to your questions, I'd just like to say that Officer Obie and I really approve of your signature-line.

Strong     Awesome     Strong     Awesome     Strong     

michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 12:59am
GPUS ( video cards) benefit from cooling more than the CPU for gamers, IMO. Nividas GPUs can't boost their clock if there's too much heat, for example.

But it's expensive to water cool GPU due to the need for a custom water block or GPUs WITH the water block which are really pricey.

So you will find it's a pricey upcharge.

If you are using a 4k monitor good lucking, running any game at 60fps with no slow downs. Some modern games press even fairly high end dual video cards to the limit. Sure, a lot of games will run fine on 4k monitors with a sufficiently good GPU. But some games are punishing when run at 4k.

For 1080 resolution, a single 970 should do the trick, but I can't assure you all games will run at a minimum of 60

I ordered a system, which will hopefully show up one day, with dual 980s, that I hope will play any game at 4k on good quality settings with mostly smooth performance :)

Edited by michaeljhuman - 25 Jan 2015 at 1:09am
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 3:42am
Hi lois grits.... You put together a real nice rig. You didn't mention the monitor or monitors resolution.   Makes a big difference in what you need for graphics cards.   If you're gaming on a 1080p then you can save a chunk of money and drop the Titan Blacks for the 980s. The 980 performs just as good if not better than the TB. If you game on 4k then the added vram might help with TB but 4gb vram is the sweet spot right now. Who knows about the future. Titan's other feature is its double floating point precision for scientific modeling, etc where the longer decimal string gives more precision. That is what the Titans were originally designed for.   Like a poor man's Quadro card.

For a 2x sli setup with no plans for tri sli, the 5820k will do fine. The only difference between the 5930k and the 5820k is the number of Pciex lanes from cpu to gpu.   The 5930k has 40 lanes and the 5820k has 28 lanes. Cards use 16 lanes max each and even 8 lanes is no performance loss. The lanes are the paths used to handle data.

If you drop to 980s then a 850w psu like EVGA 850 Super Nova is all you need.   Nothing wrong with the 1050w so up to you.

Putting video cards under water does allow for higher oc and usually a quieter system. Otherwise an air cooled card takes care of itself if the case has good airflow.    The Vortex case has about the best airflow, but Hailstorm will work but is primarily a case for full water setups.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 25 Jan 2015 at 3:49am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 4:27am
Hi Lois Grits,

Here is a basic system with dual GPUs with the GPUs, CPU and Chip set water cooled. I used the standard WC tubes but there are rigid tubing available at a higher cost.

I put in the 850w PS and will be enough unless you plan on future expansion of the system. I use the 5820 that will work as a cost saving choice. You can keep the 5830 if you prefer. The PCIe lanes are the only difference.

I changed your 250Gb 850 EVO SSDs to the 256Gb 850 PRO. That is not a lot of money and the PRO is a better choice.

You don't need the sound card unless you have a good speaker system. The sound from the MB is all you need for gaming.

If you decide to go with your GPUs air cooled then the Velox case would be a cheaper and maybe a better choice. Definitely a more economic choice with no loss in performance.   

Frank

Configuration Code: 1137875    Cost: $5821

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Hailstorm II Edition
Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 3: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Zx (Includes Audio Control Module)
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 3: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Video Cards + CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by FrankW - 25 Jan 2015 at 4:30am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 4:57am
Hi Lois Grits,

Here is a suggested Velox case build with the GPUs air cooled and the CPU water cooled. The CPU cooler is a closed system and requires no maintenance. I didn't include a sound card. I use the Strix GPU cards and with the Velox case you could go with the standard 980 cards.

If you are using 1080 monitors you could also get the K4790 CPU with a Z97 mother board and save a bunch of money. You will be limited to two GPUs with the Z97 due to the PCIe restriction.

Frank

Configuration Code: 1137880    $4426

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 3: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
lois grits View Drop Down

Quote lois grits Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 8:12am
I really really want a 4K but I just don't think they are quite there yet. I have debated about the titan's back and forth. I would love it if they were there when I am ready for a 4k monitor, but afraid that they may end up being behind on hardware when the 4k quality price point finally starts dropping.

I am planning on moving to a 1440 and am leaning towards the Asus PB278Q, but I havent made up my mind which monitor to get yet.

I do have a nice set of logictech Z680 speakers I paid way too much money for over 10 years ago ... probably the best bang for the buck I ever spent on computer equipment. They still sound great :).

Thanks for the builds Frank! The first one is close to one of plethora of saves..
They all moved away from me on the bench there. The Group W bench.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 9:26am
Hi lois grits,

I hope they help. Just some ideas for you to play with. The Hailstorm II with full water is a great system.

Frank
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 11:52pm
This is my Velox order ( supposed to show up some day, when the cases arrive)

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (512GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
Chassis Fans: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz

Some of it is bling. I decided the PSU upgrade was totally worth it over the 750 watt Corsair option ( using a low end CS model.) I went with the 110 cooler, but the slightly cheaper 100i would be good. I went with the 5930 for the 40 lanes, just 'cause ( and likely not a benefit.) I could have gone with 16 GB which would have been fine, but I figured why not put 32 GB into what was going to be the most expensive PC I ever bought. I liked the factory OC on the Strix, so went with that option - dual 970s would have been more than adequate for my needs. Was not 100% sure about the EVO 850 Pro, but it didn't seem too pricey when gauged against total system value. 512 GB seems good for the boot drive as you can worry less about running out of room. A 1 TB data drive for all my Steam games seems just fine - it's not like load times are that high, but the richer gamer could go with a RAID 5, 3 drive SSD data set :)

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 11:57pm
FYI, there's debates about using SSD in RAID 5, so while it seemed like a good idea on paper, it seems worth the time to read up on it.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 5:46am
Hi michaeljhuman,

A very nice, well thought out system. For $19 I might have went with the WD 1T HDD Black. It has a really good reputation. I hope you don't have to wait too long. The Velox is my favorite case.

Frank
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 10:06am
I have been using WD black in the systems I have built.

I did not think to change theirs to a WD black. I can always put a WD HD into the system at some point.
 Post Reply Post Reply