FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

H110 fan direction

Post Date: 2015-03-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gnicky View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gnicky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: H110 fan direction
    Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 2:56pm
For a case that is designed for positive pressure, like the Air 540 with two intake and one exhaust fan, using an H110 would likely be installed exhausting the air (I'll find out for sure soon as I am in stage 5). I am thinking this will change the positive pressure balance to negative adding the 2 140mm fans in exhaust.

So my question is whether it is feasible or a good idea to flip one of the H110 fans around so that one fan pulls air in and one exhausts, making the fan pressure neutral for the H100 and positive overall for the case.

I Understand that I would want to add an air filter to the top of the case.
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 12:05am
I ordered a Velox, and I think they put the radiator in front, with fans pulling air in ( don't think it's push/pull.)

This makes sense, for the CPU, as you want the heat differential from the cooler outside air and the radiator temp.

The downside is that you are putting warm air into the case

On my current PC, which is being replaced by the Velox probably, I put a Corsair loop radiator on top and had the fans pulling warm air off the top of the radiator. This worked find, as the CPU kept reasonable 60C to 70C temps even overclocked and maybe kept the GPUs cooler

In the Velox, looks they there was no option to put the radiator on top, so the front was probably the only real option with the Corsair loop, given the limited flexibility

I am hoping the GPUs run cool enough because on my current system, that was my number 1 issue

Ideally, I think the GPUs should be liquid cooled as a good heat sink fan on the CPU seems like it would work just fine, but if you are running SLI, seems like the top card is hard to adequately cool

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 8:50am
Hi Gnicky,

I understand your thinking but I am not sure that is the best way to go. With a radiator you always want to have the cooling originate from the outside of the case for the best cooling. If one fan is blowing out it won't be using the coolest air for that section of the radiator. The long radiators are good because the coolant travels a longer path through the rad for more exposure to the cooling air. With your idea half of the radiator will be cooling with outside air and half will be cooling with warmer air from inside of the case. You may achieve a more positive air flow in the case but maybe not as good of cooling for the CPU. The problem is we don't know with out some test. If there is a reduction in the CPU cooling it may be so slight that it makes no difference.

With the Air 540 I think maybe the best arrangement would be a 120 level 2 cooler for the cpu and two top fans blowing in or one in and one out. However DS sets it up it will work so that your equipment runs at a reasonable level. The Air 540 is a good case for full air cooling.

After you get your case you might enjoy experimenting how to achieve the best cooling.

Frank    
Gnicky View Drop Down

Quote Gnicky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 9:05am
Thanks for the feedback. I'm likely spending too much time worrying about the airflow because I'm in the anxious time waiting for my new machine (when time seems to mysteriously slow down - I think they should do a myth busters show on this) Reading a lot of mixed input for coolers and fan configurations.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 9:14am
Hi Gnicky,

I know what you mean. Buying and waiting for a new computer is a stressful thing. It is fun but stressful. We want everything to be perfect and we can think ourselves into a frenzy about the details. I am especially obsessed with cooling.

Frank
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 9:18am

My PC will be here tomorrow, maybe

I will hammer on it with Furmark and other tests and see if the video cards thermal limit

Then I will start overclocking the cards

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 9:28am
This positive vs negative air pressure has been around for years.   It's fun to look into, but I have never seen a clear winner.    The way its suppose to work is, negative pressure does a little better job cooling by drawing air in from the various vents around the case and eliminating any hotspots.  But, it causes more dust in the case, with positive pressure allowing the fans to filter all the incoming air.   

The top rad in most cases has the fans blowing out.  If the case has good airflow, and the Air 540 does, then the air inside is almost the same as outside.   DS in the past has reversed the fans to blow in on limited occasions, finding the rad needing the cooler outside air to perform better, but I think that's few and far between and I'm not sure what the setup was.

My take for whatever its worth, is front and any side panel blows in and top and rear blow out.  Just me. Big%20Smile

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 9:45am
Originally posted by michaeljhuman

My PC will be here tomorrow, maybe

I will hammer on it with Furmark and other tests and see if the video cards thermal limit

Then I will start overclocking the cards

HI michaeljhuman,

That is good news after your wait. I will be really interested in how thy set up your cooling with the Velox case.

Frank
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 10:05am
Thanks, Frank. Always nice to have new toys to play with. Planning on writing review of system including info on GPU temps under load. I am just hoping it runs, and did not suffer shipping damage, or timely review will not be possible
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 4:00pm
Looking forward to the review!

In regards to the Velox, we have the radiator in the front to draw in the cool air when it's the coldest. The air that passes the radiator and goes into the case won't matter much as the items are usually liquid cooled. In addition, there's a ton of air flowing in and out as there are vents everywhere. Overall, it's a solid high-performance product.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 10:27pm
MY GPUs are air cooled as I could not afford $1000 more for a custom loop. I believe the 980s are a bit cooler running than my current 780s - I will find out soon :)
 Post Reply Post Reply