FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gaming Issue - game crashes

Post Date: 2015-05-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Emily View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Emily Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming Issue - game crashes
    Posted: 07 May 2015 at 8:59am
Hi.

I recently started playing TESO; and for the past month the game has been running fine no problem. But just recently, things have been happening.

- Game crashes, no error, just takes me offline and i have to login again.
- Sometimes when I login after a crash, i will notice the chat box for the game is not working. i can type something but nothing appears in the chat window.
- Sometimes after it crashes i will log back in and its like a ghost town, i don't see any other players, no computer players; nothing moving at all. Just me.

Yesterday I played for an hour just fine no problems, then it started crashing. Just for example it crashed 4 times in 30 minutes.

I do not get any error messages at all.

I tried doing a repair, and then i removed the game and re-installed it.

Could it be a NVIDIA update that is causing the problem?

This is my first MMO game, and I am hoping there is a gamer out there that might see this post and lead me in the right directions.

Computer:
Digital Storm Krypton
Intel Core i7 4910MQ
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 8GB

ggo4th View Drop Down

Quote ggo4th Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2015 at 9:09am
Hi Emily. I'm not sure that this will work, but try changing your configuration to use OpenGL instead of Direct3D and see if that corrects the issue.
Apollo
Intel Core i7 4790K OC
ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97
16GB DDR3 1866MHZ Corsair Dominator
1050W Corsair HX
256GB Samsung 850 PRO / 2TB WD Black
EVGA 970 ACX SLI OC
Soundblaster Zx
Corsair H110i GT
Emily View Drop Down

Quote Emily Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2015 at 9:59am
Thanks, I will give that a try and let you know if it works later.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2015 at 1:29pm
Hi Emily,

Does any other game crash? I am thinking that after a crash and you go back on line and there is no one there, that others have crashed also. That is why no one is there. This may be a server problem and not your computer. Do you know other players that are getting crashed? If this is the only game you are having a problem with then I would be surprised if you have a problem on your end.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 07 May 2015 at 1:30pm
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2015 at 1:32pm

For crashes in general: (there are always exceptions)

If the game crashes to desktop but does NOT close the game it is usually a driver.

If the game crashes to desktop and closes the game; it is the game, compatibility with drivers or corrupted files, overheating or possibly reading files on the hard drive. (memory at XX location could not be read)

If it is a hard crash (blue screen (or another color screen - red, green etc) it is generally hardware, overheating, windows, malware, etc.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
Emily View Drop Down

Quote Emily Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 5:31am
last night it only crashed on me a few times. Since i don't know to much about openGL and did not want to mess anything up. This is what I did, not sure if this is the correct solution but for the last hour I was able to play without crashing. However, I did have to log off once because the game was not acting right. For example my chat quit working in the game, and at the same time some of my function buttons quit working.

But this is what I changed, and I am hoping it fixes the problem.

I edited this file C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\UserSettings.txt . Changed the line from "SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11"" to "SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D9""
Emily View Drop Down

Quote Emily Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 5:34am
Also just wanted to comment, my video card driver(s) are current. I checked for updates after I started noticing the crashing
Emily View Drop Down

Quote Emily Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 5:49am
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi Emily,

Does any other game crash? I am thinking that after a crash and you go back on line and there is no one there, that others have crashed also. That is why no one is there. This may be a server problem and not your computer. Do you know other players that are getting crashed? If this is the only game you are having a problem with then I would be surprised if you have a problem on your end.

Frank

Hi, well I have not played any other game online. But i am on Second Life often and it never crashes.

I am playing the game with a Friend, which I believe is on the same server because I can see her when everything is working. She does not have the same problem I have when we both are on at the same time. And she has not crashed at all.

In the game they have things like warewolves and zombies that I try and kill. After a crash Sometimes these aren't even there, and they are part of the game. So when this happens I restart the game and then i can see them.

I am not sure what changed in the last few days, but before I was having fun, and no crashing.

My internet seems to be fine
I can only assume it was some kind of update ( windows, video card? )
My computer seems to be running great, not hot at all.

The game never freezes, its almost like someone just clicked a close button on me when i was playing, if that makes sense. No errors at all.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 10:47am
Might be an ESO update causing it.  There are regular hotfixes and I think they usually push those on Monday or Tuesday.

I haven't logged on in a while.  I'll have to do so and see if I'm getting anything similar.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 11:50am
Emily,

I see you're also running a Krypton with a 980M.  Are you running the latest 350.12 Nvidia drivers and your GeForce Experience is updated to 2.4.3.22?  Also, in GeForce Experience, have you gone to the Games tab and made sure ESO is listed there?  If it is make sure you're using the Optimized settings for that game.  If it's not there, have GeForce Experience scan for the game and add it.
Emily View Drop Down

Quote Emily Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Roykirk

Emily,I see you're also running a Krypton with a 980M.  Are you running the latest 350.12 Nvidia drivers and your GeForce Experience is updated to 2.4.3.22?  Also, in GeForce Experience, have you gone to the Games tab and made sure ESO is listed there?  If it is make sure you're using the Optimized settings for that game.  If it's not there, have GeForce Experience scan for the game and add it.

Thank you so much for this advice, I will have to check when I get home later. I did scan for the latest drivers; but everything else you mentioned I did not do or check. I thought things were just suppose to work.

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 12:24pm
I edited this file C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\UserSettings.txt . Changed the line from "SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11"" to "SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D9""

This just tells the game to use DirectX9 rather than DirectX11.

If you have the Nvidia 350.12 driver, you can try rolling back the graphics driver to 347.88. The 350 drivers have some bugs that caused problems in some games.

Can you play that game in windowed mode and see if anything changes? Not sure if TESO has windowed mode or not.

Are you playing on STEAM (or another host) or directly on your computer?

Windows 7 or 8.1 - 32bit or 64bit?

Have you tried the "game consultant"? It will check your computer for issues.
https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6690/

I know you reinstalled the game but it still may have corrupted files. You may find some help here:

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22414

You can have TESO reps call at your convenience here:
https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/ask?phone=1&session=L3RpbWUvMTQzMTExMTY5OC9zaWQvcVF6NTlSbG0%3D
Also you can attach the 'game consultant' file to this request.
Vanquish II Ultimate.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Emily

Thank you so much for this advice, I will have to check when I get home later. I did scan for the latest drivers; but everything else you mentioned I did not do or check. I thought things were just suppose to work.

Yeah, they are supposed to just work, but one never knows.

I don't think I've logged on since I installed the 350.12 drivers, so I'll definitely need to see how it works for me based on what Pacesetter said. He has some definite good advice for you.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 12:44pm

I found a couple other interesting things.

From: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/169539/crashing

At this point, nobody really knows what the problem is except possibly certain ESO employees.

Its been suggested by others that the "frequent" crashing problems (every few minutes) most people are experiencing are related to the new justice system and therefore are not "fixable" by the end user. This would have to wait until it was resolved in a patch.

ESO has admitted the existence of a memory leak that affects some players, but this would most likely occur less frequent as the ESO memory leak slowly pushes the game memory footprint beyond what Windows is able to address.

Also some help may be here:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/928118#Comment_928118

Hope you get it fixed. It seems a ton of people are having problems crashing while others have no problem.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Pacesetter

...Can you play that game in windowed mode and see if anything changes? Not sure if TESO has windowed mode or not...

ESO has a Windowed and Fullscreen (Windowed) mode as well as the Fullscreen mode, so definitely try all those and see if there's a difference.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 12:54pm
Also, crashes can be caused by overheating of GPUs and/or CPUs, and ESO will definitely push your video card if you have settings maxed out.

How long have you had your Krypton?  If it's been more than a few months, or you use it in particularly dusty areas, have you blown out the dust with a can of Dust-Off or similar?  I find that I have to do it to my Krypton every few months and it definitely makes a difference.  The fans don't come on nearly as often as they do when it's dusty.

If you've never done it before, there are some caveats about cleaning out dust that you'll need to know about.  On the Krypton you'll need to remove the bottom cover to do it the right way, and you'll need to make sure that you don't let the fans spin freely while you're cleaning as that will ruin the bearings. This article is a good intro, but you can always ask us here for the best way to do it if you're not comfortable.
Emily View Drop Down

Quote Emily Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Pacesetter

I found a couple other interesting things.

From: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/169539/crashing

At this point, nobody really knows what the problem is except possibly certain ESO employees.

Its been suggested by others that the "frequent" crashing problems (every few minutes) most people are experiencing are related to the new justice system and therefore are not "fixable" by the end user. This would have to wait until it was resolved in a patch.

ESO has admitted the existence of a memory leak that affects some players, but this would most likely occur less frequent as the ESO memory leak slowly pushes the game memory footprint beyond what Windows is able to address.

Also some help may be here:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/928118#Comment_928118

Hope you get it fixed. It seems a ton of people are having problems crashing while others have no problem.

This is what I don't understand.

My friend has an HP computer, slower processor, and cheaper video card, and she gets to enjoy the game with no crashes. Doesn't make sense.

What does it mean, "ESO has admitted the existence of a memory leak that affects some players"

Why only does it affect some players? Will it get better or am I going to experience this till i give up?
Emily View Drop Down

Quote Emily Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Roykirk

Also, crashes can be caused by overheating of GPUs and/or CPUs, and ESO will definitely push your video card if you have settings maxed out.How long have you had your Krypton?  If it's been more than a few months, or you use it in particularly dusty areas, have you blown out the dust with a can of Dust-Off or similar?  I find that I have to do it to my Krypton every few months and it definitely makes a difference.  The fans don't come on nearly as often as they do when it's dusty.If you've never done it before, there are some caveats about cleaning out dust that you'll need to know about.  On the Krypton you'll need to remove the bottom cover to do it the right way, and you'll need to make sure that you don't let the fans spin freely while you're cleaning as that will ruin the bearings. This article is a good intro, but you can always ask us here for the best way to do it if you're not comfortable.

Ok maybe I am the guilty one.

I create things on Second Life, so on one screen I have second life up and running most the time, with a few programs such as photoshop and blender open, then on the other screen i am playing TESO when i get a chance. Maybe this is the problem. But i did check to see if my computer was warm just incase it was over heating but it is always cool, not warm or hot.

But then why did i not have the problem before? Is there some error log on my computer that might tell me this is the problem?

I bought the laptop in Late December 2014. I have not cleaned the fans yet, my computer sits on my desk and hasn't moved since i got it.

Also I think I failed to mention, I installed a few addons for TESO, such as a mini map.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 1:43pm

There are people with both high end and low end computers having the problem. It does seem weird that a $10k computer would have a problem while a $400 computer doesn't but I've seen this type of thing across the boards for many games.

A memory leak occurs when a program used memory that is no longer needed and fails to release that memory so it can be used again. This can affect some people and not others because it is a coding problem (a bug) that can usually only be addressed by people with access to that coding. In this case ESO developers and would be corrected in a hotfix or patch.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 1:45pm
Also I think I failed to mention, I installed a few addons for TESO, such as a mini map.

Delete that mini-map add on. That has fixed it for some people.
Vanquish II Ultimate.
Emily View Drop Down

Quote Emily Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2015 at 7:42am
Sorry for the late response. I was on vacation all last week.

Just want to thank you guys for helping me, my problem seems to have went away ( at least for now ). Not sure if it fixed it self or something I may have done.

It may have been the Mini-map plugin causing the problem. Not really sure, but i did delete it and this week I have not had any problems with the game closing on me.

Thanks again.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2015 at 12:56pm
You're welcome.  Glad that one of the many things discussed helped you.  Big%20Smile
Steven View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Steven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2015 at 2:44pm
Glad you are up and running!
 Post Reply Post Reply