Gaming Desktop

Post Date: 2014-11-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DarkSydeElement View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DarkSydeElement Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming Desktop
    Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 5:10pm
I have always been a gamer on a laptop who's wanting to make the move towards a gaming desktop. I have no need for mobility anymore and would like something that will last and be able to get upgraded when needed. I have really fallen in love with the Bolt II design but my worries are that because of its small form is it kinda like getting a gaming laptop all over again? Limited upgrade options such as SLI or more hard drives. Would it be better to go with a larger case style in order for those options or is having a better video card make it so SLI is not needed. I have around 3500 for my budget it and I want to be able to do all the gaming with out any flaws. Another thing that has me concerned is I've always bought from a store like Best Buy cause if I have any issues they would take care of it for me, how do you go about that? Do I send it in and wait for weeks? Thanks for any advice you can give me.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 11:44pm
Hi DarkSydeElement,

The Bolt II is a very specialized case that can do amazing things with very limited space. I am not a fan but that doesn't mean it isn't a great system. Just not my cup of tea. I think there are better options in the Apollo and the Velox. The Bolt II is a great options if you are very limited in desk space.

Being able to take your computer to Best Buy for repairs is an advantage for some. But you can't buy a DS system from Best Buy. You will sacrifice performance and you choices will be limited. Best Buy just doesn't have Performance/Gaming computers. If you want to up your gaming powers then Digital Storm is your best choice by far.

Here is what happens if you buy a Digital Storm computer and have a failure of some kime. First you come to this forum and get help. Many times the Forum can solve your problem or suggest what is wrong. If the Forum can't help you then you have the full power of the Digital Storm Factory to help you. You will call a Digital Storm technician in California who will help you diagnose your problem. If a card or some other devise has failed they will ship you a replacement. A DS technician will help you install it if there is any questions. Should a serious system failure happen, like a mother board failure, you may have to return your computer to the factory and wait for it to return. If you are capable of replacing the mother board, they will ship a replacement to you.

I know it is daunting thinking about having to ship your system to the factory for certain failures. Remember that you will have a powerful computer and the factory is the best place for someone to work on your system and get it right. The technicians at Best Buy are hit or miss on their qualifications. That is not the case with DS.

I have had many computers over the years and only one every had a MB failure. The MB network connection failed. It was under warranty from a big computer company so I called to get a network card to fix the problem. Since they had "At Home" repairs they wouldn't send me a $10 card and insisted that a tech would come out and change the MB. She changed the MB and then because it started and then stopped and restarted, she thought the MB was bad. I couldn't convince her that was how the MB worked. So the tech came out twice from fifty miles away for a simple fix and replaced two mother boards. For $20 and postage the could have fixed the problem.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 16 Nov 2014 at 11:48pm
Kaelara View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 3:35am
"
Being able to take your computer to Best Buy for repairs is an advantage for some"

Let me tell you about my experience with the Geek Squad.

I purchased a HP all in one fax/scanner/printer brand new.. took it home and could not get it to connect or work with my Computer rig built by Cyberpower ( not a bad rig but I was not very knowledgeable back then)

Anyway took HP and computer in to the geeksquad.. first they said my OS needed upgrading as the one I had Windows ME I think did not communicate well with the printer.. So like a good customer I upgraded the OS.. they said problem was fixed... took it home..problem not fixed, took it back to the Store the next day computer and printer.. this time they said I needed more ram.. okay brought more ram..they said it was fixed.. took it home it was not...

Took it back in they said they got it to print.. was not sure why I could not get it to work,, maybe a new printer is needed.

That is when I put two and two together.. the problem was not in the OS or the ram or the printer.. it was due to a new but bad 10$ Bus Cable.

Second issue. ( you would think I would learn) Same computer. graphics card was overheating.. took it in to get it looked at.. They said the card benchmarked fine and that all the computer needed was a bit of a clean out ( dusty)   as I was taking it home I heard a loud thump/clank in the case.. did not think anything about it maybe a cord came lose.. for the next 2 weeks I could not play WoW well load times for instances or zoning in were prolonged... and GPU still was overheating..

Had a another computer guy look at the unit.. he found that I was missing a stick of Ram,, it had fallen off the Motherboard.. because the geek squad had not properly secured it and the reason my GPU was getting too hot was a piece of metal stuck in the fan that kept it from cooling off the card..

Never ever will I use Best buy to touch any of my computers again..
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram
2x SLI Dual Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Asus Strix Edition
Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 7:51am
Purchasing from a custom specialty shop such as us is going be a completely different experience than a retail store like Best Buy. You will receive a far more advanced product and the care and support from a company that wants you to be happy with your purchase.

The only caveat I see is that you will need to become more familiar with high-end components, but we will be here to help you.

Other than that, you will get a far more premium product.
 Post Reply Post Reply