Ongoing Review of DS Purchasing

Post Date: 2009-10-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Musicmonkman View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Ongoing Review of DS Purchasing
    Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 9:22am

Greetings to those considering a build from DS:

I just recently ordered a gaming rig from DS and wanted to share my experiences of the process for the benefit of those considering doing the same.

RESEARCHING DS

I always wanted to build my own computer (and when I retire I will).  I decided the next best thing is to custom design one and have someone else build it. I spent a few months researching ‘boutique integrators.’  In the process it became clear that there were four criteria to consider 1) Quality of the build, 2) Reputation of builder (as defined by professionals in the IT world), 3) customer service, and 4) Cost.  After looking at a variety of companies –Falcon, Alienware, Puget Systems, ******** – it became apparent to me that Digital Storm had the best overall product/experience to offer. 

PLANNING RIG

I began reading these forms and putting designs together about 3 weeks ago.  I eventually took the step of posting them and got some detailed and knowledgeable advice from the experts on the forms.  This was very useful, and caused me to do even more research on my own, and learn a great deal more about computer components, best practices in LC, processer/board compatibility, etc.  I learned a great deal and each time posted my design and got comments.

I called DS a few times, and as others have posted had a hard time getting someone in customer service; HOWEVER, when I did speak with someone I was given unlimited time to ask my questions, was given detailed answers, and competent design advice that was not based on ‘selling’ but on meeting my design expectations. This more than made up for having to wait on the phone for a few minutes; really!  I spoke with James, Randy, and Eric.  Design advice was consistent, from rep to rep, and their knowledge of components and how they would work together was impressive.

ORDERING

On Friday, October 9th, I ordered the rig!  In the process I spoke with Eric about some customizations he recommended.  He took the time to take me the websites to show me the custom components I would be adding. We spend about 45 minutes finalizing the design and completing the order - most of which was used to answer my questions.   I am shipping to my work address so I had to fill out a credit card authorization and fax it back – no problem, this took about 5 minutes. Again, I received superior customer service. 

I want to mention to anyone who is thinking of buying from DS to consider this - DS is not McDonalds, this is not about fast, mass produced products.  It’s like dining at a fine restaurant – the meal is carefully planned and executed to ensure a remarkable culinary experience. Ergo, DS. These guys are craftsmen (women) who take pride in their work and that takes time.  If you’re in a hurry consider one of their ‘Special Deals’ which appear to have the same quality as a custom design without the personization.

I am receiving regular emails detailing the status of the build – this is a nice added touch; it makes me feel like I’m involved in the process

DESIGN

Here’s a summary of my final design (339618) follows:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm HailStorm

Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1866MHz Digital Storm Certified by mushkin enhanced (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (128GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: CMFSSD-128D1 Extream Speed)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 FTW 2GB) (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: High-Performance Liquid Chilled FrostBite System For CPU
Liquid Color:UV Blue: Medium Glowing Non-conductive Fluid (Requires H20: Stage 3 & UV Lighting)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect For H20: Stage 3 UV Fluid)
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock the processor between 4.0GHz to 4.2GHz (Requires H20 Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Yes, Overclock memory frequency (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) With Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon

EXTRAS –

-Triple RAD Radiator

-EK Waterblock on Motherboard

-Change out fans to Coolermaster Blue LED

-Add additional UVs

-add blue lighting with on/off switch

The entire rig came in at around $4,900 with extras.  Display will be a 26 inch Planar, with an upgrade to a 30 inch planned for Jan.

I will update this post as the process continues.

PS this post is in the wrong category, but I was unable to post to customer reviews Big%20smile.  DS administrator please move it tp the appropriate category.

Edited by Musicmonkman - 30 Oct 2009 at 12:13am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 10:06am
Great build, but for 30" you should have gone 3 x 275. I guess you can add a third 285 but that will cost more of course, you would not have not noticed a difference between 3 x 285 and 3 x 275.

you would not have noticed the difference between 920 with 1600MHz ram and the 950 with 1866MHz you got in gaming.

but at the end if that is what you like and its a matter of preference then you got to get what you like.

great rig can't wait to see specs and pics
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 10:43am
I agree DST drop the 950 go with a 920, and the money you save go with 5870's in crossfire for that resolution. Way faster than 3 275's and with direct x 11 support for the newest games!
sirsiddius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 12:04pm
Whats the difference between a vanilla gtx285 2gb and the FTW edition?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 12:08pm
faster clock speed and maybe 5 fps difference.

justin is right 2 x 5870 is much better for that res then 3 x 275.
Tugmaster View Drop Down

Quote Tugmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 12:54am
Congrats on your system! Each system (aside from prebuilts) is personal preference and I hope you got exacly what you wanted. Post some pics when you get a chance
i7 [email protected](3.67ghz turbo)
6G Mushkin DDR3 Ram
2x Nvidia 275 in SLI
750 PC Power and Cooling PSU
MSI X58M
Asestek Liquid Cooling
Haf 922 Case
22' ASUS 1920x1080

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2009 at 9:23am

Order Update

My build has reached stage 5 – phase II stress testing.  So far so good. 

I had one minor communication issue – on Tuesday I noticed that DS has begun offering Windows 7, and I decided I wanted to go with the ‘ultimate’ version as opposed to the Vista which I had originally ordered.  (Ultimate because I need the VT capabilities only available on Professional and Ultimate). I sent an email (through the link in one of the stage updates) and left a message on the customer service line.  As of Wednesday afternoon, I  hadn't heard anything from DS, so I again sent a message on Wednesday, cc’ed another email address I had, and left another message.  Later in the day I had a second so I called again, and got Sarah who informed me the upgrade had indeed been processed the day before. Later that day, I then got a phone message from Eric confirming this. 

I am very pleased that DS was able to execute on the upgrade to Win7 Ultimate without any difficulties; I had concerns that in may be an issue considering what stage the build was in.  Ultimately the most important thing is that the order was executed.

On a personal note - In the past year I had two friends whose wife’s were having babies.  They were constantly sending me pics of ultrasounds with emails expressing great joy and pride…I wonder if DS could send me any pics of the progress of my build…I'd like to return the favor to them?Hug

Just kidding.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2009 at 3:24pm
Great review! We will move it to the 'Customer Reviews' section once you have received it and you have posted pictures.

Cheers!

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 10:06pm

Order Update – Delay in Progress x2

Well I thought I was in the clear when I reached Stage 5, and that I would be gaming by this weekend…but alas I received a “Delay in Progress” email on Monday 10/19.  Today 10/22 I got another “Delay in Progress” email. 

Oh well maybe by next weekend.  I just hope I don’t get a third one next week!

Edited by Musicmonkman - 22 Oct 2009 at 10:07pm
RAT340 View Drop Down

Quote RAT340 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 8:26pm
Hi sorry to hear about your computer being delayed. Mine is suppose to showup on Wed. Just want to give you a tip on your computer status updates by email. I got good updates up to stage 6 and then total silence for several days. I logged in to check the status and found out it had been shipped 2 days earlier & Tracked it on UPS.com with delivery sched. for 10/28. I never got any emails saying my computer is on its way from DS.  So you all should keep checking on your computer purchases often by logging in. This way I know to stay home & wait for it to be delivered. Hope you get yours soon & I hope mine arrives in 1 piece.
R.A.T.

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 10:18pm
Hi RAT340-

Thanks for the information.  I got another "Delay in Progress" email today.  I'm approaching the 3 week mark which is how long I was told it would probably take.  

I also have had some communication 'challenges.'

I'll give it to the end of the week...then consider other options Ying%20Yang 

Good luck with your build.  I hope it gets to you in good shape. 
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 11:49pm
@Musicmonkman,

I am sorry for the delay, it appears your system is in Stage 5, which is very near the ending stages towards shipping.

When you get a chance, send us a message via our message system in the 'Customer Service' section, and we'll do our best to get back to you with an update and estimated shipment time-frame.

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2009 at 9:45am

Thanks for the advice Alex.  I sent the following email this AM...  (Wow stage 5 for almost two weeks)

Greetings,

I'm trying to get a sense of where you are in this build.  Do you know when it will ship?

It started "Stage 5" on the 15th of October, and has been there since.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 8:47am
In response to the email I sent,  I got an email from DS  that the build is being OC'ed; but have not seen a change in status yet.  I'll keep checking
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 12:16am

They are fine tuning the overclock.

We just started a new, and more aggressive testing policy a week ago.

This is to simply insure the unit you receive will be stable and problem free since it is overclocked.
sfr View Drop Down

Quote sfr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 12:34am
so the system i ordered on the 16th which was just shipped out on the 27th i believe, was it included in the new testing policy? (order 10456)
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 1:09am
I will check on that for you tomorrow sfr.

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 11:40pm

Order Update – Passed Stages 6 and 7

It was a crazy getting out of the Bronx tonight, where I work…something about a baseball game going on.  Evil%20Smile

Nevertheless I wanted to get this posted!

I am pleased to share that I have received email confirmations that my system has passed stages six and seven.  Here are the specs I received in the stage seven email:

Overclocked Processor Settings

Processor Speed GHz: 4.0
CPU Multiplier: 22
Voltage CPU VCore: 1.4
VDroop Control: No
i7 - BCLK MHz: 187
i7 - Voltage QPI\DRAM: auto
i7 - Voltage QPI\PLL: auto
i7 - Voltage CPU VTT: 100
i7 - Voltage IOH Vcore: auto
i7 - Voltage ICH Vcore: auto
i7 - Voltage IOH/ICH I/O: auto
i7 - PWM Frequency: 800
780i/790i - Memory Clock Mode:
780i/790i - CPU FSB MHz:
780i/790i - Voltage FSB:
780i/790i - Voltage SPP:
780i/790i - Voltage MCP:

Motherboard BIOS: S61B
Video Card Driver: 191.07
Chipset Driver: CD
Sound Card Driver: CD

Chris did the final inspection. I am most impressed with the overclocking on the CPU, and will share the rest with my IT dir. tomorrow (assuming he will be able to appreciate these specs more then I.)

I also received a phone call from DS (I think it was Sarah) to confirm my shipping method, and to discuss my memory overclocking.  This was a very nice added personal touch - impressive.  I missed the call but will follow up tomorrow.

I know there are no guarantees with build times especially with custom systems.  But it appears baring an unforeseen issue I will be pretty close to the three week mark originally discussed when I placed the order – nice work DS; and thanks!

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:07pm
So here it is all set up and humming along:

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:08pm
Here is a closer look at the cabling work...

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:14pm
This is a close up on the motherboard cooling block...lookin' pretty 'cool'  Ouch 

Edited by Musicmonkman - 08 Nov 2009 at 6:15pm

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:17pm

Here's my gaming set-up...yes a trekie...

EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:18pm
I love the look of that Corsair case.  That's a very nice and clean set-up, and that would be the color set-up that I would do.  Love the blue.  Makes me want to do another rig so bad.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:19pm
What's the purpley neon looking lighting at the bottom?
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:20pm
Nevermind, I can see that is cathode lighting.  Why did you do with that color?

Edited by EdH63 - 08 Nov 2009 at 6:21pm

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:21pm
Okay I got a bit carried away with the lighting. Cry  It has the standard blue lighting, but then I also requested an additional set of UV lighting, and all blue LED fans (which we special ordered, to get so really high quality gear (thanks for the recommendation on that Eric).  THe blue lights I can turn on and off...

EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:35pm
But that bottom light looks pink.  What's up with that?
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:36pm
I don't think most cameras can replicate UV light very well.  It is actually more of a dark purple.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:39pm
You can see the blue is blue, but are the top and bottom lights supposed to be pink/purple?  I'd of gone with all blue.  Nevertheless, the rig looks great.
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:40pm
Yeah, UV lighting looks like a dark purple.  I was just stating that the camera pic made it look pink.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:57pm
I hear ya.  But It would stand to reason, maybe not, that it would make the blue lighting on the right look the same as the other two on the top and bottom.  Can Musicmonkman confirm that those are all supposed to be the same color.  The same camera in the same picture is displaying two different colors.  I think they are two different colors.  Maybe that's what he wanted though.   

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 7:00pm
Yes the lights on the top and bottom are indeed UV, and are not nearly as bright as they appear in the pics, it's actually rather subtle in person.  The lights to the right are the standard blue.

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 7:04pm

More Review...

So as you can see my computer arrived on Friday 11/6.  Some minor issues (see below) that I know DS will help me resolve, but for the most part I'm pretty satisfied.  

Packaging

I had some real concerns when I say the outside of the box...it looked like it had been thrown around a bit.  However when I got it home I saw that the computer was in a second box that was  actually 'floating' on a plastic stretcher, a great design  that acts as a shock absorber seems to negate the challenges of cross-country shipping.

First Glance

There are only a few issues, but they were surprising.  I unboxed the computer and put  it on the living room floor...it's huge.  I took off the side panel as instructed and removed the internal packaging.  I made my way to the front of the chassis, and opened the door for the removable hard-drives...and it literally fell off...there were a bunch of small pieces, part of a spring, a hinge kind of stuck inside.  I just don't see how this got missed in a quality control inspection...this is definitely bigger then a dime!  I am not going to even speculate on how this happened, but am confident it will be remedied.

Next, I was surprised to see that DS put the Windows 7 and DS serial number labels on the side of the chassis.  Yes I got them off with a bit of 'goo-be-gone' but I really feel that there is an ascetic to a beautifully crafted computer...sticking a mailing label on the side of the case seems...out of place...almost Dell-like.

Finally, there is no DS emblem on the chassis anywhere (other than the mailing label mentioned above). This purchase represents a lot of research and time on my part, and I want anyone who sees this computer to know that is was built by an elite custom integrator - Digital Storm.  I guess I just have to wear my new DS tee-shirt when every anybody comes over.Ouch

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 7:09pm
Door on the floorWink

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 7:11pm
Labels...  Ying%20Yang
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>