Post Date: 2009-07-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Review for 3 way SLI Digital Storm System
    Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 9:58am

Ok, so I have finally hooked up my system and run a couple of games on it briefly.  Below are my system specs:

Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: Paint Screws and Hose Clamps (Black)
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1333MHz Digital Storm Certified by mushkin enhanced (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: SDSA2MH160G1C5)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 2GB) (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: Specialized FrostBite Separate Dual Loop System for CPU & Three Video Cards
Liquid Color: UV Redish Pink: Medium Glowing Non-conductive Fluid (Requires H20: Stage 3 & UV Lighting)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect For H20: Stage 3 UV Fluid)
Enhancements: LCD Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock the processor between 4.0GHz to 4.2GHz (Requires H20 Cooling Upgrade)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Windows Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) With Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Pre-Install Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 4 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty (

I will post some more detailed specs later today with pictures but overall, I give the system very high marks so far.   The only minus was the power cord was missing from delivery...but I talked to DS and within a couple of hours of leaving a message with them; they are sending me the missing power cord.  I would recommend going with the free shipping that they are offering, the box was well secured and I don't think it would get messed up, even if it was dropped.  I had an extra power cord from an older computer that DS James said would work and it did.   Overall, the system looks great, the dual loop cooling system looks very well built...I would recommend the standard factory finish, as the system looks awesome.   I loaded some of the games Sarah hooked me up with, Far Cry 2 and GRID, which is a racing game.   Far Cry 2 worked flawlessly at 2560X1200 and very high details for the 15 minutes I played it, which I was surprised at given that resolution...although I did not get a chance to see the fps but it was definitely playable with those settings.  I played Crysis Warhead for around 45 minutes...but I did not attempt 2560X1600 yet....I stuck with 1920X1200...I set all detail to enthusiast and AA X8.  All I can say is wow....the game looked great with those settings, I had to average around 59-60fps outside with the lowest fps being 45, but that would only last a few seconds.  I looked at my temps with the monitor tool DST recommended and the GPUs did not get above 58C and that is after playing Crysis for 45 minutes and the CPUs temps were around the same if not lower.   I have screen shots at home, but once I get back from work, I will post what I had at idle and after playing Crysis.    I am interested to see what performance gains that I can get if I over clock the GPUs, although I haven't done that in years and will need to review the Rivatuner manual.   One thing that I might need help with is optimizing the SSD and seeing what my hard drive I/O is performing at, as I am not sure if DS did that and I am still learning this.  It seems like the writes are a little slower then I thought they would be and the reads are fast but I thought it would be a little quicker.  If the performance stays the same and no tweaks are required, I would recommend getting two velicoraptors in RAID 0 instead of an SSD, as my older system has those and it seems to load games and windows almost as fast as the Intel 160 GB, but you will have 600GB instead of 160...and that is with an older quad core processor.    The game loads have to be within a couple of seconds of each other from what I have noticed so far.   So overall, I would recommend DS, as their product is by far greater then anything I have experienced from Dell or other PC companies to date.  I have to get back to work but will post more observations as I get to play around more with the system in the coming days.  

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 3:55pm
Post pictures!
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 4:37pm

First round of pictures....let me know if you have any special requests.  uploads/2512/127PC.JPG

Edited to show picture in post directly - Alex:

Edited by Alex - 15 Jul 2009 at 4:49pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 4:49pm
Amazing!
Zardoz8719 View Drop Down

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 5:08pm

Very nice... ErmmAs for requests...you know we got'ta have a night-time pic with the tubes all glowing and such... Heart

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 5:13pm
looking good
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 8:04pm
Ok guys, might not be able to get the the night time pictures tonight...but here are my screen shots of the specs: 

eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 8:06pm
The previous is before playing Crysis, the below is after playing Crysis for 45 min: 
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 8:08pm

Additional specs:

eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 8:10pm
Other pics:  
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 8:11pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 8:21pm
thank got I got a wide screen 24" otherwise those pics would be a pain to look at

resize your hw, its window does not need to be that big.

hey eastor can you run hw and realtemp sice by side and give us a screen shot please? under load ofcourse, TIA

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Jul 2009 at 8:22pm
busdriver01 View Drop Down

Quote busdriver01 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 5:08pm
how quiet is your system?
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2009 at 7:22am
Overall the system is fairly quiet with the upgraded fans...it is not dead silent of course but quieter then I expected....as it is not louder then my previous gaming systems.    My work has been killing me, so I haven't had time to play around with it for more then a few hours but I like everything about it so far.   By the way, I decided to look at my old system with the RAID 0 Velicoraptors and after relooking, the SSD loads everything significantly faster.  I guess I was hoping for a greater performance increase orginially but I would have to say that I would not go back now to the slower hard drives...lol
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2009 at 10:09am
Hey DST, here are my load temps...I played Crysis Warhead for over an hour along with Far Cry 2...Far Cry 2 I can set everything to max settings at 2560X1600 and play for hours at a steady 60 fps, which was awesome.  What impressed me was Crysis Warhead, I finally tried 2560X1600, I set it to gamer settings and left everything else alone.   I was able to maintain around 45-50 average fps with it jumping up to high 50s in spots and high 30s in some battle intensive scenes  which is pretty good for Crysis as I understand at that resolution and was easily playable...my wife was like what game is that, that is awesome....and she has seen me play this game before, several times in fact. lol  
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2009 at 10:24am
Ok I was just tried max settings with no AA on Crysis Warhead, still averaging around 45 fps...awesome graphics, I also noticed that it was using around 1.2 GB of my GPU memory which makes a huge difference when viewing objects in a distance.   I think getting the 2GB addition might help with games like this, as I have never seen such clear graphics at a distance.  It looks like I am really there, looking over a huge island valley and can see items clearly a mile or two away.   
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2009 at 10:56am
1GB version, or 2GB version would have made no difference.

crysis 275 vs 285, 2x AA:

crysis 275 896GB vs 275 1792GB vs 285 1GB, 2x aa:

crysis 285 1GB vs 285 2GB, on high settings:

no difference

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Jul 2009 at 10:57am
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2009 at 1:59pm

DST....lovely graphs...it really shows the power of TRI SLI as my average FPS is way above anything those charts are showing, even at higher settings.   Still getting around 45 fps average with max enthusist settings, 8X AA.  You are probably correct in that VRAM does not translate to higher FPS, I am not an expert...but I have noticed that items at a distance are not blurred out as much during gameplay, when I have used more VRAM.  In fact now, nothing seems blurry even miles away.  So I think it is possible that with higher VRAM, you have better visuals from a distance in games like Crysis, GTA4 and others that utilize more then 1GB of VRAM...which is what I have read.   How do my temps look given my settings on crysis and playing more then an hour?   They seem to be a lot lower then previous air cooled cards I have had...around 15C lower under load.   Everything has run super stable so far...by far the best computer I have ever owned. 

MyNameisBrian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MyNameisBrian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 2:02am
Uh oh, is that an air bubble I see?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 2:18am
not sure if you are correct there estor, blurry has to do with frame rates and if you are getting 60 fps then the image should be clear and without lag also. and those charts are showing just one GPUs performance not sli. if it makes little difference in single then it makes even less difference in sli.

some parts of the game are more clear and some are not as clear.

also crysis is not a good game to compare this to, its a CPU intensive, try them with a GPU intensive, are you setting a limit of how much Vram the GPUs uses? Cause unless you can limit the GPU to 1GB thru a certain part of the game and then go back and have the GPU use 2GB thru the same section and then noticed a difference, I don't see how we can the the clarity is due to more vram.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Jul 2009 at 3:05am
titusmckieus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote titusmckieus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 3:34am
could you post some screen shots
Zardoz8719 View Drop Down

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 8:15am
Originally posted by MyNameisBrian

(I) noticed that too...  Acutally, it looks like one big bubble...and in the 2nd line directly below (in one of the pics you can see) a much smaller bubble.  How hard is it to bleed those lines...or will the pump/circulation take care of that on it's own?? Big%20smile  OOps, just looked again...and there's a third bubble in the line to the right also...they're everywhere, they're everywhere Smile  Not laughing at you--rather with you...it can't be that big a problem me thinks. Angry

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 19 Jul 2009 at 8:19am
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 9:04am
Just posting what I have heard on the internet and noticed during gameplay....as I said, not an expert.  It just makes sense to me that if the game is using more then 1GB of VRAM, that I would want a card that was able to match, certain parts of the game used almost1.4 GB of VRAM.   So what is up with the air bubbles, as I a new to liquid cooling?  Keep in mind, the pictures were taken just out of the box and before I turned on the PC for the first time.   Thanks for all the info guys!    
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 9:17am

Also, I tried 3dmark Vantage trail edition am getting lower GPU scores then I think I should....I saw the highest pc was around 42000 for performance total score.  My CPU score was really high, around 52000 which was higher then the other top PCs cpu score but my graphics score was really low compared to the other PCs, and they had lesser graphics solutions....as I understand 3 SLI 285 should beat 295 quad or 280 tri SLI which were the pcs that had higher graphics scores.   My graphics score was around 28000-29000, where others are getting around 38000....with the 280 tri.  I am sure they are overclocked but I would think it would not make that big of a gap.   I have ran it twice and got just over 32200 both times for my overall score, any thoughts on what could be driving the lower graphics score?  Thanks for your help in advance.     

Edited by eastor - 19 Jul 2009 at 9:18am
e.fruman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote e.fruman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 10:04am
those are highly overclocked gpus.
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 10:23am
So my score is about what it should be then, given no overclock...also, it recorded my processor as th 975 extreme edition, which I thought was interesting.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 12:58pm

42000 was set with (2) 295's so quad sli.

You had Physx on, turn ppu off in options, it is considered an illegal score if ppu was on. That is why you cpu score was so much higher than the others.

OC the GPU's can gain big  in performance, 2 285's highly OCed will beat 3 285's stock.

Edited by justin.kerr - 19 Jul 2009 at 1:45pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Zardoz8719

Originally posted by MyNameisBrian

(I) noticed that too...  Acutally, it looks like one big bubble...and in the 2nd line directly below (in one of the pics you can see) a much smaller bubble.  How hard is it to bleed those lines...or will the pump/circulation take care of that on it's own?? Big%20smile  OOps, just looked again...and there's a third bubble in the line to the right also...they're everywhere, they're everywhere Smile  Not laughing at you--rather with you...it can't be that big a problem me thinks. Angry
The lines will self bleed, that is what a reservoir is for. The res, that DSO uses bleeds very fast. Sometimes it helps to open the fill port when running to speed up the process.
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 3:52pm

Interesting...I wonder if most people leave physics on then...did not see any disclaimers....lol.  So with my temps, around 70-75C under load, do you think I will be able to overclock the video cards much?   It might not be worth messing with, if I am not going to get a 5-10 percent performance increase,  

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 4:16pm

just disable ppu in 3d mark vantage to get a "legal" score, so you can compare to others.

70-75c on the GPU does not leave much room to OC for 24/7 operation. for short benchmarking runs you will not be able to OC very high. because heat may cause instability when pushing the cards.

10% gains are very easy with a mild-mid GPU OC, but you are already running  fairly hot.

My water cooled GPU's never get above 45C, when OCed to the nuts. lol
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 4:54pm

Mine does when I am running them at stock and getting around 70C while playing crysis for an hour +.  I get 45C at while doing normal web browsing.    That is with the specialized frostbite system for my cards.  Although it stays in the 50-60C range with other games at 2560X1600, As enthuist settings with 2560X1600 8XAA settings in Crysis tax the system quite a bit and bring it up to 70C. :)   Are you running tri?  Also, what resolution are you gaming at, as that will make a difference for sure.  

Edited by eastor - 19 Jul 2009 at 4:59pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 5:03pm
My system has  a lot more cooling than yours, running tri sli. 
You have enough cooling headroom to OC the cards a bit, never hurts to try. lol picking up 5% should be no problem, and not raise temps much at all.
Did you try Vantage with ppu disabled, it is in the options
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 5:42pm
Yeah, but it wouldn't give me my score, as I have already run it a couple of times and it is now expired...not sure if it is worth paying $20 for the advanced edition or not.  If I remember correctly, I would need to have that to test my overclocks...do you have any good resources for overclocking 285s in tri?  Thanks in advance...what other added cooling do you have?   The only other options I had was to put another rad on the outside of the case...DS recommended against getting the upgarded waterblock, as they say there is no significant increase in cooling performance.
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 5:44pm
Sounds like I should have gotten the faster RAM if I wanted to benchmark! lol 
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 5:53pm

The computer I am referring to is not from DSO. My DSO computer is getting old, but still running perfect lol

Vantage is only $6.95 for the basic edition.

You can run 3d mark 06, 05, 03 they are free.  Vantage is more realistic on game performance, the others can have inflated numbers with high CPU OC's. But still fun to compare to others

Edited by justin.kerr - 19 Jul 2009 at 6:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>