FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Running Review - New Customer

Post Date: 2009-03-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
joftinac View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Running Review - New Customer
    Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 4:54pm
Howdy!  Ouch

I just purchased my first DS system last Friday, and I'm workin' thru the phases to shipping as we speak. 

My intent with this post is to "blog" my experience with this order and give everyone an idea of my perspective as a new customer.  I'll start with a perhaps "wordy" story to quantify my perspective, then I will attempt to be succinct on my opinoin of the facts (as I see them.)

(Skip this section if you just want my current opinion.)
-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I've been a "Computer Geek" for 25 years.  I built my first computer when I was 6 years old.  My dad's job required him to have cutting-edge machines, but since he was disabled, I was assembling his machines at an early age.  (My first assembly experience was a x386 with 16Mb of Ram (yes, 16 individual 1Mb sticks))
From that experience, I always built my own machines for years -- until about 4 years ago.
Four years ago, I decided to try a pre-built machine.  My wife and I had come to the conclusion that we needed "His and Hers" computers (thank you, Blizzard) and pre-built seemed a decent way to go.  
Yeah.. umm....  our xxxxxXXXXXxxx.com experience didn't go well.   Sure, the machines worked, but it was not built with the equipment I picked out, and I'll just say I was not too happy. 
After that I went back to my mantra that I would only build my own machines.  I wouldn't let someone else pick my components, configure my raid, or install my OS.
I stood by this mindset for years since that purchase -- but just a few weeks ago, my opinion changed.
I realised that our tax return was coming up, and we were again looking at buying a new round of his/hers computers.  I intended to buy components and self-assemble, but two things took me off that track:
1) Because I travel (and my last laptop died) I want a laptop as my primary machine.
2) Digital Storm's short video about their testing and packing procedures caught my attention.
So, I shopped around a lot, and though I chose to go elsewhere for my laptop, my wife's desktop was purchased here, and that's the reason I'm "blogging" atm.

My intent for this computer is a solid gaming machine that will not only survive a couple/three years of technology upgrades, but will also provide stellar performance for what I do now.  (Mostly WoW, and I know this is overkill.)

This is where I was when I made the decision to buy here -- now I'm gonna try to express my opinion on how they do.  :)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-

On Friday, March 6th, I purchased a desktop with these core specs:

Intel Duel Core 3.16mhz
4MB RAM
2x CrossFire 3850s
2x 500G 7200RPM HD in RAID0
1x 1TB 7200RPM

-I had some initial problems with my debit/credit card - but I belive those were due to some confusion with using an APO address.
-A DS rep emailed me to help resolve this issue within a couple hours of my order.  Though it appeared he was a non-native English speaker, there was no confusion in the details, and this did not bother me.
-After the weekend, I called DS and they fixed everything for the payment.
-The next day I was informed via email that my video card selection was no longer in stock.  They made a suggestion to upgrade to the 4850, but also told me that the MB I chose had an on-board WiFi adapter so I could save over 100bucks and drop the extra NiC from my config.  (A quick web search confirmed this.)
-I responded to the email and told them to drop the extra NiC and go ahead and upgrade my vid cards to the 4850.  (The upgrade price was not what I had planned, but I'm okay with it.  Apparently the issue of "CLEARANCE" items not being promptly removed from the config builder once sold out is a known issue.)

After waiting for business hours on the West Coast, I called DS and found a very helpful operator.

In my two calls to DS, I've been impressed with the fact that I've talked to a real person (a native English speaker) within seconds of calling.

As of now, all concerns on both sides have been easily resolved, and I'm waiting for them to start assembling this computer.

For anyone still trackin', I'll update this post as my order progresses.  :)

Edited by joftinac - 10 Mar 2009 at 5:02pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 7:19pm
Trust me when I say you are in good hands, I'm a very picky shopper and for me to be this satisfied with a company they really have to go our of their way for the customer.

I have been here for one year on the forums, and have seen them bend over back wards to make customers happy, I feel very comfortable spending my money with DS.
joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2009 at 1:28pm

I've noticed that satisfaction seems to be the general consensus around here. :)

So far, things seem to be going well for my machine ... As of about an hour ago, it's now in Stage 5, with no other hiccups since my previous post.  Ouch
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 12:33am
Won't be long now!
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 3:55pm
As of 20 minutes ago -- Stage 6!!

I'll be outta town for the next couple weeks (it'll take that long to get here anyway) so with any luck, my next update will be that it has arrived!
Dsnewb210 View Drop Down

Quote Dsnewb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 3:57pm

grats! looking forward to the pics!

tman5890 View Drop Down

Quote tman5890 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 4:01pm
Nice! I'm also on stage 6 of my order.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 5:30pm
You might want to insure that someone is available to sign for the computer if you are going to be out of the area.  I was at work and my wife signed for the computer.  It actually arrived one day later than what FedEx had committed to.
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 10:16pm
Great news people have made some good points, make sure somebody is home to sign for it
joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2009 at 3:14pm
W00t! Stage 7! ... and double w00t for having internet here. :P
joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 3:38pm
I just had a new issue come up that I'm working on right now.

I'm on a business trip and have been unable to check my email or coordinate with my wife much on keeping tabs on this build -- here's what I just found.

According to the status (as I posted in this forum) our new computer should have shipped yesterday or the day before -- but it hasn't yet.  Upon checking email, there was an interesting conversation between my wife and a DS rep. 

I just submitted this auto-post to DS customer service in hopes of clearing up any last minute confusion:

-=-=-=-=-

I just noticed a response my wife left in an email saying:
-------
Below is a communication note by  Randy on 3/18/2009 around 5:06:32 PM (PST).
Topic: Technical Support -> Other
Comments: I received a message from the customer stating he is fine with 2 different video-cards. The message is below.

Message: The 2 cards looking different does not bother me in the least.
----

I'm concerned about a possible mis-match in cards and loss of Crossfire performance.
Please let me know if there will be any issue with performance loss here.  If performance is not degraded, please continue with shipping.
-=-=-=-===-

I'll let ya'll know how it goes.  :)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 3:48pm
The brand will make no difference, as long as they are both regular (vanilla) 3850s, you are good to go
joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

The brand will make no difference, as long as they are both regular (vanilla) 3850s, you are good to go

Excellent!  That's good news.  I just wish there was something in the email history that would show me the exact question my wife was responding to.  :P
joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 3:56pm
... or even better, a running log of customer service questions and responses in the order status page would rock.  Ouch
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 4:03pm
Mention it to Alex and I'm sure he will do what ever he can, they love feedback here
joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 4:20pm

Akk!  I just remembered we upgraded to 4850s - is it the same thing there with "vanilla" 4850s?

Edited by joftinac - 19 Mar 2009 at 4:21pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 4:33pm
With any cards, the brands don't matter, they don't even have to be vanilla, what will happen is that your speed will be as fast as your slow one.

the reason we love DS is that they are a quality company, if there was a performance issue, they would have contacted you and told you about it and most likely recommend you against it, from the looks of the email I assume they send and email saying "the cards are different brands is that OK", then the wife probably said, "what is the difference", the tech probably responded back, "they look different", then I think we have the rest

in short what I'm trying to say is that DS is not a type of company to just try and build a PC and send it to you, they like to make sure you get exactly what you like and that you get your money's worth so you refer others to them.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Mar 2009 at 4:37pm
joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 4:37pm

With any cards, the brands don't matter, they don't even have to be vanilla, what will happen is that your speed will be as fast as your slow one.

That works for me.  Thanks again for your input!  :)
joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 3:27pm

For some reason, the computer still hasn't shipped.  I sent 'em a message to make sure they know I'm okay with the video card thing, so let's see if that gets it out the door.  :P

Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 3:37pm
joftinac, I sent you an e-mail, but to sum it up, the computer has shipped.
Sarah
If you have sales questions, please contact [email protected]

joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Sarah

joftinac, I sent you an e-mail, but to sum it up, the computer has shipped.

w000t!  Thanks!  :)
joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 11:12am
w00t!  It's here!!

Everything looks good out of the box -- and it's a little bigger than I expected.  Ouch

Right now I'm unable to get a display past the low res windows loading scroller, but I'm workin' on it.   :)

I'll update soon!
joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 2:00pm

I've run through all the troubleshooting steps I can think to do, and I made sure to do the re-seat of vid-cards, ram, etc from the suggestions in the DS handbook that came with the new computer.

As of now, I am unable to get any video signal from the second video card.  On the primary card, the video signal goes dead right after the windows scrolling bar loading screen.   I can boot in to safe mode, and the device manager displays both video cards. I can not get any video signal if I load in to the low res 640x480 boot.

I called DS and left a message with my callback number, and I also sent an email through their customer service app.  Seeinz how calling me in Germany might not work too well, I'm anxious to see how this works out.  8^)
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 2:26pm

Our support staff can help you via MSN Messenger as well if you need to (since you are in Germany).

joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Alex

Our support staff can help you via MSN Messenger as well if you need to (since you are in Germany).

That would be perfect.  I'll set that up now.

Also, I got a very prompt response from Sarah and her suggestion has already proved helpful  (I moved the secondary card to the first slot and booted with just that card, and made my first successful boot to a normal desktop.)
Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 2:48pm
So your able to boot with the bottom card in the top slot? Now, lets humor me here, and take out that card, put the other card in the top slot all by itself and let me know what happens.
Sarah
If you have sales questions, please contact [email protected]

joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 2:59pm

When I booted w/ your first suggestion, something in the device manager told me to restart the computer.  After restarting, I could only get video in Safe Mode.

I just booted back up with only the orig primary video card installed and I lose video again once the windows scrollbar loading thing goes away.
MrNanite View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MrNanite Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 3:04pm
freakin' weird!

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 3:05pm
so you are using the top slot (DVI output) of the first card ( the top card) and you are not getting any video?
joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 3:18pm

so you are using the top slot (DVI output) of the first card ( the top card) and you are not getting any video?

I have now tried (At Sarah's suggestion) both cards in the top slot -- I get good video until windows loads.

As of now, I'm going to remove my drivers in safe mode and manually install them and see how that goes.

BTW - I thought customer service was good here before -- now I've seen it first hand!   These guys are taking very good care of me, and I'm quite pleased!

So, off to play with some new options -- I'll post again in a bit.  8^)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 3:27pm
well ok but which slot are you using?
joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 3:42pm

well ok but which slot are you using?

I was using the first slot, first port for troubleshooting.  (and still not seeing anything once windows loaded in "normal" mode -- hence the though that drivers may be weird for some reason)

Right now, I've got both video cards back in and I'm loaded to a 640x480 normal boot and getting ready to do a fresh install of video drivers. :)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 3:58pm
are you using the HDMI or DVI output?
joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 4:08pm
DVI - these 4850s don't have HDMI ports.   And my monitors are native to DVI as well.

For an update, I'm back in a 640x480 boot and about to install the latest drivers and see if that gets me up and running.  :)
joftinac View Drop Down

Quote joftinac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 6:01pm
No dice yet -- DS has been extremely helpful and we can't quite figure out the issue.

But, it's midnight here, so I'm gonna try the Recovery disk and see if this solves the issue.   Either way, I'll be taclking this again tomorrow.

Thanks, DS for the outstanding customer service!!

-joft
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>