FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking to change to Liquid Cooling

Post Date: 2021-06-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RaijinShedo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RaijinShedo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking to change to Liquid Cooling
    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 9:07pm
I have a Digital Storm Lynx Level 2 and am wondering how I would go about turning it from Air Cooled to Liquid Cooled (CPU cooler for now possibly everything else in the future) also what kind of cooler would you recommend?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 4:17am
I recommend a dual fan all-in-one CPU cooler from a brand name like Corsair or Cooler Master. There are others that are good quality. Read reviews, and shop. It will perform very well and reliably for a very long time.

I do not recommend a custom loop set-up unless you are in need of a very intense hobby that's very expensive and a lot of risk to your rig. It's just not worth all the time, money, and trouble for the results you get IMHO. If it leaks, it's pretty much a disaster.    
RaijinShedo View Drop Down

Quote RaijinShedo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 4:23am
Originally posted by Cretae

I recommend a dual fan all-in-one CPU cooler from a brand name like Corsair or Cooler Master. There are others that are good quality. Read reviews, and shop. It will perform very well and reliably for a very long time.

I do not recommend a custom loop set-up unless you are in need of a very intense hobby that's very expensive and a lot of risk to your rig. It's just not worth all the time, money, and trouble for the results you get IMHO. If it leaks, it's pretty much a disaster.    
So would an All-In-One basically replace all the regular fans or how does that work?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:40am
You have to disconnect and remove the current air cooler. Thoroughly clean the cpu with alcohol. Mount new base for AIO, put new thermal paste (just a pea size drop) and attach new cooler.

It might be nice if you have a friend holding the radiator while you do the attaching. (or mount the radiator where it goes first). The AIO comes with its own fan(s) 1,2 or 3 depending on model. (likely named 120, 240 or 360) Look at reviews. Last time I looked the Kraken was tops. Corsair and Cooler Master are also in that class.There are many. Some are more efficient and noisy and some are quiet and hotter.

You remove the case fans that are in the way of the radiator with its fan mounted or keep and install on other side of rad pointing the same way as the original one. Usually pointing out.

Is your system running hot? Above 70C? Air coolers are way more reliable than liquid coolers. Only 1 moving part and no liquids. It is one of the harder upgrades to do. Usually done to upgrade the cpu. AMD's air coolers are very good, if that's what you have. Don't know what Lvl 2 you have.

Good luck.

A custom open loop is really only appropriate for a system that is going to be overclocked because of the extra heat or you just have to have it for the looks.
gdead65 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gdead65 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 6:35am
NOCTUA air coolers for the win
Apollo i7-7700 1070
Ordered: 2-12-17
Stage 1: 2-14-17
Stage 2 & 3: 2-16-17
Stage 4 & 5: 2-21-17
Stage 6: 2-23-17
Stage 7: 2-25-17
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 9:43am
True, however they are huge and you have to make sure your RAM sticks will not interfere with its cooling fins. The NH-D15 and D15S are brutes and equivalent to any AIO.in cooling ability. There used to be a time when DS included them in its cooling options lineup but there were too many shipping breakage claims. They are very quiet!
 Post Reply Post Reply