FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

30 inch monitor for gaming??

Post Date: 2008-12-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
XpubuX View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote XpubuX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 30 inch monitor for gaming??
    Posted: 25 Dec 2008 at 12:43pm
Heres some ive been looking at. Amyone know whats good for around 1200$ Are these good for gaming I play first person shooters and sit back 4-5 feet from my screen. Thanks.
Gateway
Samsung
LG

JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2008 at 5:44pm
30" monitors are AWESOME for gaming! It changes the whole experience, and it's difficult to go back to 23" once you get used to it. I haven't used any of the monitors in your list, but I've used the Apple 30" display, and it is amazingly good.

Here are some things to keep in mind:

1) Make sure your 30" display supports 2560 x 1600 resolution. Most of them do, but not all of them.

2) Realize that 30" displays running at 2560 x 1600 will require some very powerful video cards. You'll need at least 2 GPUs, and 3-4 can't hurt. I would suggest using two or three 260 GTX's, two or three 280 GTX's, one or two 4870 X2's, or one or two 295 GTX's (being released soon).

James
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2008 at 6:24pm
Samsung and Gateway uses the same panel and supposedly has terrible input lag.

I'd take a look at HP LP3065 or Dell 3007WFP.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
XpubuX View Drop Down

Quote XpubuX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2008 at 12:09am
that hp looks pretty sick will 12ms be bad though. Sucks that some are saying the gateway has bad lag input cause I like all the connectors.
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 1:24pm
I have the apple cinema 30'' display and an Acer 24'' display.  I noticed the apple display tears a lot more when playing games.  It has a 16ms GTG- not sure if it is responsible or not...   You have any similar issues, James?

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 2:24pm
30" displays tear more, simply because there are more pixels being pushed around (2560 x 1600 instead of 1920 x 1200). That slows the framerate down, and thus causes more tearing. However, you can help to avoid the problem by adding more video horsepower. You really need 2 or 3 video cards when playing on a 30" monitor. I would recommend three 280 GTX's, or three 260 GTX's, or two 4870 X2's.

Nearly all LCD panels refresh at 60 Hz, whether they are made by Apple or somebody else. In other words, you won't fix the problem by switching to a different 30" display.

I'm also not sure why anybody needs a LCD panel with a pixel response time faster than 16ms. Your video card refreshes the display at 60 Hz, which equals 16ms per frame. In other words you can get a monitor that has a faster response time like 12ms, but your video card will keep drawing at 16ms per frame. You'll never see the difference.

James
Dredoric View Drop Down

Quote Dredoric Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2009 at 1:26pm

Figured I should stop being a lurker and actually be useful for once...

After looking into what people recommended for 30" gaming monitors I finally decided to go with the Dell 3007WFP-HC.

As much as I didn't want to go with something with Dell on it, everything I've been reading seems to point to 3007wfp-hc being the best for gaming due to having quite a bit less input lag than some of the other 30" and good colors once it's calibrated (supposed to be TERRIBLE colors out of the box... and you'll need a calorimeter to calibrate it since the software it comes with only works with a Dell Smile).

In addition, the 3007wfp-hc is also HDCP unlike some of the other 30"... if that matters much to anyone.

I was still put off a bit by my past experiences with Dell... but then someone at [H]ardforum pointed out that you can get a refurbished 3007wfp-hc from the Dell Outlet for $749... snag a 15% off Dell Outlet LCD coupon from ebay or e-junkie... 3-5 day free shipping... cost me under $700 after tax.

I should mention that the refurbs come with a 3 year warrenty (pretty much no questions asked from what I've heard) and a lot of them seem to be more or less new. Figured it's worth the risk to get a $1200 monitor for less than $700.

My monitor shipped on 12/30 and is supposed to be here between today and 1/6... but since I'm in the process of moving I probably won't get a chance to hook it up and post the results until 1/10.

Enough rambling... hope that helped someone out... back to lurking in the Config section until the 295 GTX releases Confused
XpubuX View Drop Down

Quote XpubuX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2009 at 2:39pm
Nice I still havent bought my monitor im about to go with the 25.5 inch t260 samsung but if I can go 30inch for 700 that would be sweet post some pics when you get it as to the condition a of the refurbished monitor.
Dredoric View Drop Down

Quote Dredoric Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2009 at 2:46pm

Big thread over at [H]ardforum about the refurbs... figured it might be something you might want to take a look at.

I should be able to post some pics of the condition (or at least let you know how it's looking) by early next week... with some working pics a week from Saturday (1/10).
XpubuX View Drop Down

Quote XpubuX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2009 at 2:58pm
Cool thanks man.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2009 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by skyR

Samsung and Gateway uses the same panel and supposedly has terrible input lag.

I'd take a look at HP LP3065 or Dell 3007WFP.

What is this input lag everybody is talking about, and what causes it?
Dredoric View Drop Down

Quote Dredoric Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2009 at 3:32pm
Wikipedia probably explains it better than I would...

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2009 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Dredoric

Wikipedia probably explains it better than I would...

Very interesting. Sheeze, it's always something!
JFuller092 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JFuller092 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jan 2009 at 9:50am
You could buy 2x 24" monitors one for you and one for me :P im broke.. always im a 16 y.o CSS Fanatic.

Im pathetic sitting on this Samsung 17" :/

Edit: And youll still pay less than one 30"

Edited by JFuller092 - 04 Jan 2009 at 9:51am
XpubuX View Drop Down

Quote XpubuX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jan 2009 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by JFuller092

You could buy 2x 24" monitors one for you and one for me :P im broke.. always im a 16 y.o CSS Fanatic.

Get a job kid!Embarrassed
JFuller092 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JFuller092 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 6:02am
Originally posted by XpubuX

Originally posted by JFuller092

Get a job kid!Embarrassed

Hehe ive tried, but im taking pre-college courses for college credits and dont really got the time.
XpubuX View Drop Down

Quote XpubuX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 2:46am
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/04/dell-3008wfp-30-inch-monitor-review-roundup/  so I found a newer dell 30 inch that has a lot more hookups I'd luv to run my xbox through it but im still not sur if I should go 30 inch or 2, 25.5 inch t260hd or just t260 samsung monitors. so much tech so little money
Dredoric View Drop Down

Quote Dredoric Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 5:05pm
I wouldn't go with the 3008wfp for gaming... it's supposed to have TERRIBLE input lag. From what I've read the 3007wfp-hc is much nicer for gaming.

Heh, it's a hard choice to make but no matter if you go with a 30" or the 25.5" inchers it'll be a nice setup. Ermm

With any luck I'll be able to post some pics of the 3007wfp-hc refurb this weekend... should be here today and I'll be moved in to my new place on Saturday.

Good luck with the choice. Ouch
XpubuX View Drop Down

Quote XpubuX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 5:11pm
yeah the 3007wfp-hc is a lot cheaper which I like.
Dredoric View Drop Down

Quote Dredoric Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 5:19pm
Yeah, the refurb price + the 15% off coupon helps... although if I remember right the coupons I'd seen for the Dell Outlet LCDs expired sometime in Jan '09... so if you go that route and want the 15% off it might be coming down to the line.

Oh, and I think I forgot to mention that the coupons work on multiple LCDs at once... so you could get a couple of their smaller refurbs and use a single coupon to get 15% off on them... although I know very little about Dell's pre-30" monitors... just something to keep in mind.

Ya know, since you didn't have enough choices already Smile
Dredoric View Drop Down

Quote Dredoric Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 9:48pm
Quick update on the Dell 3007wfp-hc refurb...

It showed up today at my new place today and at first glance it looked new. It was in the standard Dell plastic and foam and had the standard FedEx beatup packaging Ouch

Upon closer inspection I noticed a few scuff marks around the front of the case (nothing major... had to really look to notice them)... and what I really, really hope were streaks on the screen from someone cleaning it off... some may have been scuff marks on the screen itself.

Also, the dual DVI cables they sent (all cables and manuals were present) had three bent pins but those were easily moved back into position.

Once I'm moved into my place on Saturday I'll clean up the screen, see if they're scratchs... decide if they're bad enough for me to care (again had to look close)... and plug this sucker into my couple year old DSO machine (poor, poor 7950GX2)...

With luck there'll be no dead pixels and the scuffs on the screen will be unnoticeable/streaks from cleaning...

Of course then I'll have to still wait for the new DSO system I plan on ordering tomorrow Confused
Dredoric View Drop Down

Quote Dredoric Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 3:11pm
Still haven't had a chance to plug the Dell 3007wfp-hc into a computer yet... but it cycles through red, green, blue, white, and black screens when you turn it on without a signal...

Not a single dead pixel and even though it was just a bunch of single color screens I can tell I'm going to love it.

From what I could tell the marks on my refurb screen were just smudges from factory cleaning... not that I could see them while it was powered up.

Will get some pics after I move and plug it into my old DSO system... still need to get a colorimeter though...

Edited by Dredoric - 09 Jan 2009 at 3:59pm
XpubuX View Drop Down

Quote XpubuX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 4:06pm
nice what vidio card(s) are you using with it and do you have dual dvi cords. Were any cords included with the monitor? Can't wait to see the pics.
Dredoric View Drop Down

Quote Dredoric Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 4:11pm
When I get done moving into my new place on Saturday I'll be hooking it up to my old 7950GX2. Won't exactly run the greatest but it'll give me something to look at.

I should be ordering my new DSO system either today or tomorrow and will be then using two 295GTX.

The monitor came with both a dual dvi and usb cord. Some people have said that their refurbs didn't include cords or that what they received wasn't a dual dvi... but they just called up Dell (ugh) and they shipped the cords.
XpubuX View Drop Down

Quote XpubuX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 2:30am
u to busy with it to tell me about it? or does it suck balls?
Dredoric View Drop Down

Quote Dredoric Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 12:25pm
Heh sorry... was moving most of the weekend so I didn't get a chance to hook up my rig until late last night (so no pics yet)....

I haven't gotten a chance to do a whole lot with it yet but I can already say that this thing is amazing. With what I'd heard about the colors out of the box I was expecting it to be worse than it is. There was a bit of a red hue to things but after downloading a few ICC profiles for the 3007wfp-hc (not perfect since it's not calibrated for my exact monitor/setup) it looks great (looked pretty damn good to begin with).

The only game I've played on it so far is Heroes of Might and Magic 5... since I didn't want to cause my little 7950gx2 to cry trying by playing something more graphically intense... it just looked amazing.

At this point I'm still considering getting a decent colorimeter to really get the colors looking dead on but I'm not sure I really need to... will try to get some pics posted tonight depending on how late I get home.
XpubuX View Drop Down

Quote XpubuX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 1:21pm
nice .could you just pay somwhere like best buy to caalibrate the screen for cheaper? Also are you running any other devices thru the screen. Thats kind of why I am still considering the 3008 it does screen in screen and has a ton of plug ins.
Dredoric View Drop Down

Quote Dredoric Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 1:34pm

As for calibration... there is a disk with the monitor that is for calibration... but it only works on Dell machines Smile... yeah. Also, on the monitor itself all you can adjust is the brightness.

You can install an ICC profile that someone has made with a colorimeter but it since your monitor/rig/room lighting won't be the same as the person who created the file, it won't be perfect (still looks nice though).

Not sure if Bestbuy can calibrate the monitor... they'd have to have it hooked up to your rig and... probably use a colorimeter on it Smile (colorimeters are both hardware and software... often times it's the software that really makes the difference in quality of the calibration and some hardware can be used with other colorimeter software.)

I'm not running any other devices through my monitor at the moment... I might plug in my PS3 at some point but since I have a 42" HDTV in the same room... meh.

The 3008 has some fun little features and lots of plug ins but everything I've seen says it's not a good choice for gaming. It's supposed to have really bad input lag.

XpubuX View Drop Down

Quote XpubuX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 4:00pm
Maybe you should take a day off work to play with your new screen so you can tell me about it?
Dredoric View Drop Down

Quote Dredoric Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2009 at 12:47am
Well I offically suck at posting pics of this monitor...

I tried taking a few with the girlfriend's camra a day or two ago when I had time but none of them looked particularly good... the game came out too fuzzy due to the lighting in the new place...

Sooo... if it's worth anything I'm extremely happy with the Dell 3007wfp-hc refurb. It took me a little time to get used to the size (was on a few year old 20")... but size, color, and amount of detail is just amazing. I have a ICC profile loaded that's not an exact match for my setup but the colors are still great (still might grab a decent colorimeter but I'm in no rush).

I've had time to play a few games in the last couple days (Heroes of Might and Magic 5, King's Bounty: The Legend, Warhammer Online) and I've noticed a new level of detail in each game that I just missed while on my old 20".

Keep in mind this is only with a 7950GX2 running the monitor... which uh... can't begin to run Fallout 3 on Ultra setting so ya know Smile

In none of the games did I notice and ghosting or other visible refresh/image lag with the 3007wfp-hc. Also, even with just a 7950GX2 I didn't have any lagging/rendering issues while playing Warhammer Online at highest settings while a decent amount of action was happening (a few dozen people and spell effects in a small area)... didn't do any massive sieging since I'm sure I'd have lag issues with 100 people to render with the current vid card and the 30"...

So yeah... I'm loving this thing and I'm really happy that I decided to go with it... probably would have gone 24" or 26" if I hadn't gone with the 3007wfp-hc. 2560x1600 is just plain fun...

Now I just need that new rig to get here so I can see what it looks like with 2 295GTX to power it. Heart

Edited by Dredoric - 16 Jan 2009 at 12:50am
XpubuX View Drop Down

Quote XpubuX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2009 at 1:41am
thanks for the info man I'm still holding out and saving my pennies the 30inch just might be for me. How far do you sit from it. I'm sure no photograph will show what the screen truley looks like anyways. Just got my second gtx280 and I'm ready to push its resoloution. Did all the games you were playing support 2560x1600
Thanks
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2009 at 1:43am
don't tell nobody but I'm watching this thread too

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Jan 2009 at 1:43am
Dredoric View Drop Down

Quote Dredoric Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2009 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

don't tell nobody but I'm watching this thread too

I saw nothing... *moves along*

I probably sit around... 4 feet back? I might have to actually measure when I get home tonight. Basically just the thickness of my new desk plus a bit.. I can take in the full screen while playing and my eyes haven't exploded yet (or felt tired at all really... although the longest I've been on it in one sitting is only about... 4 hours? We'll see what this weekend brings).

Now that I think about it I realize that I've been actually sitting back more while playing where I tended to creep closer to my screen with my old 20"... this thing might actually stop me from hunching over my desk and help my back Smile.

All the games I've played on it so far allowed for 2560x1600 and looked great at that setting. Even with an older card the rendering it the 2560x1600 was a nice jump up in picture quality.
SPA Man View Drop Down

Quote SPA Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2009 at 9:43am
I am seriously thinking about adding a 30" 3007WFP-HC to my setup

My question is, can I run, without issues, my existing 24" Dell 2407 along with the 30" using my existing 280 GTX x2 (for gaming or otherwise)?

Or is adding a 3rd card an absolute necessity?

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2009 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by SPA Man

I am seriously thinking about adding a 30" 3007WFP-HC to my setupMy question is, can I run, without issues, my existing 24" Dell 2407 along with the 30" using my existing 280 GTX x2 (for gaming or otherwise)?Or is adding a 3rd card an absolute necessity?

I haven't tried this, but I'm 90% sure that you can run both monitors without adding new cards. The latest Nvidia drivers support dual-monitors with SLI, so you should be fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>