Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Sound card info
    Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 7:08pm
By request I have written this brief summary. DSO, please post where you see fit.

Disclaimer: My opinions stated here are not based upon direct usage, but rather my experience with the various components that the manufacturers utilise in the production of these audio cards. I graduated from college at age 19 with honors in Physics. My experience in the audio industry includes handcrafting and designing exotic high end audio transducers (speakers), acting as audio consultant for audio retailers, custom pro installation of sound systems, as well as reviewing music and high end audio components.

First, I'd like to point out the pros, cons and primary features of the sound cards that DSO provides. I will then follow up with my opinions of how each card ranks for specific customer requirements.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Pros: cheapest of the three sound cards
         offers X-Fi and EAX HD (5.0)
         utilises a cirrus logic DAC (high quality) and wolfson microelectronics (think iPod and PSP) ADC

Cons: Not compatible with all mobos. Although Creative states that it's an issue with nVidia chipsets and poor driver support on their part, non-nVidia chipsets have some of the same issues. IE. crackling and other distortion.
          X-Fi crystaliser. Many swear by it, but all it does is take feedback samplings and does a summation based upon an extrapolation program. That is, it takes a lot of unnecessary processing power to create coloration to the sound. It can be toggled off, however. They do have 2MB of Xram to mitigate the processing strain to be fair.
          Utilises EMU20K1 software DSP (mini cpu). Their software is part of the incompatibility issues some people experience.
          Utilises JRC cheap op amps. Not a place to skimp on an audio device.
          Noisiest of the three choices.

Features: X-Fi and EAX HD. X-Fi crystaliser, S/PDIF mini TOSLink optical output (adapter required), HD front panel header. SNR 109dB. (very good. Better than onboard sound)

Bottom line: If you need surround sound for gaming, and this card works, X-Fi and EAX HD will make you happy. If the card works for you. Some compatibility issues with Vista have come into question.

Razer Barracuda

Pros: reasonably priced
         4 AKM DACs (considered audiophile grade)
         6 analog devices op amps (audiophile grade)
         wolfson microelectronics ADC
         C-Media's top DSP

Cons: Output requires using an adapter dongle (tail like device included with card)
          A little pricey for some

Features: Dolby ProLogic IIx
               DTS Neo
               TOSLink optical input and output (true DTS available thru optical output, but requires outboard DAC/HT receiver)
               SNR 116dB (excellent)
               Output is designed to work with Razer's gaming headsets which provide surround sound effects.

Bottom line: Excellent for all around use. Solid audio package.

ASUS Xonar D2X

Pros: 4 Burr-Brown DACs (audiophile quality)
           Cirrus Logic ADC (audiophile quality)
           S/PDIF input and output via coaxial (RCA plugs, audio standard) includes mini-TOSLink
           C-media's top DSP

Cons: expensive
         no front header connectivity (input and output in rear of card only)

Features: Dolby Digital Live and DTS
               Dolby Pro Logic IIx
               EAX compatibility for Vista
               SNR 118dB (best in pc audio)

Bottom line: Very musical. The card for the one who wants the best in pc audio. Not the best for surround sound with games.

How to choose

For 1st person shooter fans, I recommend either the Creative X-Fi (personally would go with Auzentech's Prelude as it's a better performing X-Fi card) or the Razer Barracuda. The Xonar may do well enough, but if you really really need to know where that hand grenade landed, you may find it a bit of a guessing game with this card.

For 1st person shooter fans that like headsets, the Razer Barracuda would make an excellent surround combo with their HP-1 headset. Not exceptionally expensive and great for LAN parties!

For those who are more into games not requiring sound specific location cues, I recommend the Razer Barracuda, unless you want the best sound. Then, go for the Asus Xonar. BTW, In my opinion, even games like Assassin's Creed and Oblivion where the view is 1st person or over the shoulder, I find stereo sound to be sufficient in locational cues as there aren't hand grenades dropped by your teammate in those games... Smile

For music lovers, especially those using high end headphones, I highly recommend the Asus Xonar. If you want better sound, you'll need to hook up your digital output to an outboard DAC and full audio system or at least a headphone amp. A home theater receiver with a built in DAC would do okay depending upon the components. Personally, IMO, a whole stereo for a pc is excessive. Been there. Done that.

Edited by widdlecat - 10 Jan 2009 at 1:10am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 7:10pm
OH thank you so much for that widdlecat, thank you so much

admin/mods, can we get this pinned please?
Axel Daemon View Drop Down

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 9:29pm
Xonar D2X... aw man really?  I thought with the emulation D3DX something it was called that allows you to activate EAX 5.0, alot of people said it was hard to tell from the real thing.

http://astrogaming.com/

I also found my headphone/mic solution too heheh.
"People believe in people who believe in others."
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 10:44pm
Wow!

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 11:18pm
Which one are you wowing too >_>?  The info or the headset I found?  Or both? Lol.

Edited by Axel Daemon - 19 Oct 2008 at 11:18pm
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Axel Daemon

Xonar D2X... aw man really?  I thought with the emulation D3DX something it was called that allows you to activate EAX 5.0, alot of people said it was hard to tell from the real thing.

http://astrogaming.com/

I also found my headphone/mic solution too heheh.

As I've said, I don't know personally. I'm not into surround sound myself. I don't feel I need it as a means to immerse myself. I jump when monssers attack me already... Pinch
I've read plenty of statements that are favorable, but enough that say it's lacking compared to X-Fi and EAX HD to leave me on the fence. I choose to err on the side of caution and state that it works, but the others work better.

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 11:54pm
It's because I never tried EAX 5.0 or never tried a sound card ever, is why I wanna give it a go heh.  (Or buying a customized computer for that matter lol, which is why I wanna make this first purchase worthwhile, with as little hiccups as possible)

Thanks for confirming, in the meantime.  I'll just stick with the Xonar D2X.  If need be I can always change the sound card when.  Creative finally fixes the Vista issue, and or, Creative finally gives out EAX 5.0 for other people to use.  (Considering at this point and time Asus, MSI, and Auzentech seem to have rights to make sound cards from Creative or some such)
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 11:08pm
I wrote this because I was under the impression that it would be stickied and made available to future customers. Please sticky it somewhere DSO. Perhaps with the info on the graphics cards and the cpus with the configuration discussions? Cool
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 11:14pm
Ya it should be sticky.
but regaurdless, I'm sending people to this thread for sound card info.

thank you again widdlecat

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 1:30am
Yep thanks!  There's already Xonar Essence STX

124dB SNR ahaha

Edited by Axel Daemon - 23 Oct 2008 at 1:30am
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 7:40pm
I picked the xonar before this review keep that in mind!

SunfighterLC has superior taste!!!!
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
blood5150 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote blood5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 11:21am

How does onboard sound fit into all of this?

Is it that much worse?
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 8:57pm
For many people, onboard sound is sufficient these days. The sound is much better than it used to be. As far as onboard sound comparisions, the ASUS X48 has the best sound. The three discrete sound cards that DSO offers are still an upgrade.
FLighT View Drop Down

Quote FLighT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 8:09am
Originally posted by widdlecat

As I've said, I don't know personally. I'm not into surround sound myself. I don't feel I need it as a means to immerse myself. I jump when monssers attack me already...

With regard to the surround sound experience itself, when I listen just to music I find the surround info generally to be obtrusive to the overall experience. But for me it's a definite enhancement when watching movies, regardless of whether it's the soundtrack or special effects, bring on them monsters, it's all about the adrenaline rush. But I don't use either of my boxes for listening to music or watching movies. I can see where surround would add a nice element in certain game titles to be able to hear something coming at you from the side or rear.

Originally posted by widdlecat

For many people, onboard sound is sufficient these days. The sound is much better than it used to be. 

That was the case for me, and it eliminates one potential source of a driver related issue/conflict or another program running in the background. 
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
hotcakes22 View Drop Down

Quote hotcakes22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 7:54pm
Hi guys,

thanks for all the info.

I'm in the market for a relatively cheap card.

X-Fi Go! is a USB "sound card" supporting EAX 4.0 and X-Fi ExtremeGamer is a PCI card supporting (I believe) EAX 5.0.

Is the X-Fi Go! based on the old Audigy SE 2, just like the X-Fi Extreme Audio?

I've read that the Go! only gives any benefit over onboard sound if you use headphones and that the benefits are very slight. Is this true?

Rad!caL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Rad!caL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 8:55pm
Curious that the new X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe isn't offered.

That and the D2X are closely matched.
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2008 at 3:50pm
Could be that Creative has been historically slow on updating their software for X-Fi and while the new card is supposedly totally compatible with Vista, there are still reports of issues from owners. If it works, it's great. If it doesn't... well, you can figure that part out... Ouch
hotcakes22 View Drop Down

Quote hotcakes22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2008 at 2:53pm
So is the X-Fi Go a joke?
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 2:28am
Sorry info on that item is very limited. If you can find one at a store like best buy or circuit city, then have them give you a demo. Bring along a few of your fave CDs so you can test the sound with familiar tunes.
Kristie View Drop Down

Quote Kristie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2009 at 5:57pm
My dad is like borderline OCD when it comes to anything with home theater and he really prefers sound cards from HT Omega, if you've heard of them Widdlecat. After having issues with X-fi cards, we put one of their sound cards in a media center PC and the sound is just...amazing :P

Here's the link to it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271005
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 1:12am
I've just tried to stick to describing what DSO provides on their config, but yes, the HT Omega Claro and others are very good cards indeed.
AbsiNthe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote AbsiNthe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 6:22pm
bump!

Sorry but this wasn't pinned and i found it on the last page about to be bumped off forever!

I found it to be helpful and figured it would help a lot of other people still on the fence about what to put in their new PC.

Sorry if I wasn't supposed to do that!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 9:02pm
It was pinned but because the sound cards are new I think they un-pinned it
 Post Reply Post Reply