FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laptop Help - SSHD & Couple of other things

Post Date: 2008-08-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CRARRV View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CRARRV Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Laptop Help - SSHD & Couple of other things
    Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 4:33pm

I'm looking around for a Laptop, have a couple of things I'd like people to discuss with me / each other, I have done a little research myself but value other peoples opinions, it's dumb not to.

Here is what I'm looking at so far: ticket No. 175959(  http://www.digitalstormonline.com/laptoploadsaved.asp?id=175959 )

Chassis: Benchmark Crusher (Model: D9262) (Weight: 11.55LBS)

Display: 17 inch WUXGA with Enhanced Glossy Surface (Resolution: 1920 x 1200)

Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz (1333MHz FSB) (12MB Cache)

System Memory: 4GB DDR2 at 800MHz (Extreme-Performance)

Inputs: 4 USB 2.0 Ports / Gigabit Ethernet LAN / V.92 Modem / 1394 FireWire / 7-in-1 Card Reader

Main Storage: 160GB (7200 RPM) (8MB Cache) (SATA Laptop Hard Drive) (High Performance)

Extra Storage: 160GB (7200 RPM) (8MB Cache) (SATA Laptop Hard Drive) (High Performance)

Raid Options: Setup hard drive 1 and hard drive 2 in a Raid 0 Stripe Configuration (Expert)

Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player & Writer (Blu-Ray 2x)

Wireless Access: 802.11 A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module

Features: Desktop Computer Platform / Supports Up To Three Hard Drives / Fingerprint Reader / Bluetooth

Outputs: DVI/CRT Port / S-Video / Headphone / Microphone

Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GT 512MB)

External TV Tuner: USB Digital HD TV Tuner (Record or Watch TV) (Includes Remote)

Windows OS: Dual Boot (Windows XP Professional & Windows Vista Ultimate)

Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)

Protection: - No Thanks

Office Suite: Microsoft Office 2007 Pro (Word Excel Outlook Publisher PowerPoint Access Accounting)

Benchmarking: - No Thanks

Install/Test Game: Crysis (Pre-Install, apply updates, and test gameplay with my system)

Basically I am looking to put together the best Laptop that I can. If there is a better option I am interested but I do have a couple of questions and will compromise a little here and there.

For example Storage: There is a lot of hype with regards to SSHD’s but from what I can tell there are a couple of issues with them at the moment. They do NOT like to move small files around and perform particularly slow which causes them hang a lot when doing this, they also seem a little bit tricky to set up to start off with (not so much my problem to start off with as you are doing it, until I get a problem outside the warranty or I change something!). I was after a machine with a dual boot of Vista (its not going away) and XP (to be compatible with everything every body has around at the moment both at home and work), now my question is Question would a system built with both Vista and XP have these problems because of the set ups required for both operating systems?

I can see advantages to SSHD’s, cooling, reduced / nil degradation due to dirt ingress and shock, which is a good thing as I do move around a lot and sometimes in some dusty and dirty conditions.

So if this is not the case and I am talking s**t then let me know but I have seen some good evidence that I am right and some of it is from people who seem to know what they are talking about, it also seems there are a lot of controversial Bench Mark results around, and lets face it we are talking about just short of $1100 of reasons to stick with a normal 7200rpm HD which I can get extra cooling for at $35!, While we wait for the problems to be rectified and then upgrade. Your opinions? While we on the subject extra cooling if I stick to the 2x 160GB (7200 RPM) (8MB Cache) (SATA Laptop Hard Drive) (High Performance) ?

Output Display: I was also looking at a system that will give me a 1080P output for Blue-Ray - HD LCD connection, the other systems quote 1080P does the Crusher have 1080P ?, also  I know you can convert DVI to HMDI which I must say I was a little surprised you do not do on the Crusher is there a reason?.

Lets talk Video Cards:9800 M GTX or 2x 9800 M GT? Which would you choose and why?

Thanks for your time reading this I would appreciate some feedback folks.  Thumbs%20Up Thumbs%20Down Question
CRARRV View Drop Down

Quote CRARRV Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 5:18pm
Thanks Harleyman Big%20smile I guessed some of it would be new on this site but some of it (SSHD for example) I would have thought would be generic with users here I can wait a little and hold the urges a little longer.
zieglerj14 View Drop Down

Quote zieglerj14 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 3:30pm
I can shed a bit of light on some of your questions, but SSD question, however, is not one of them.

Output Display:  Most of these desktop replacement systems, from DSO and other companies, use a Clevo bare bones unit to start.  These units come with the same outputs (DVI/VGA/etc) and DDR2 ram requirement.  I know these are due for a refresh sometime in the near future, but I do not know when.  If you do need HDMI or DDR3, look for the new Montevina platforms as they support DDR3 and HDMI out, etc.  However, you will sacrifice te desktop CPU and typically the SLI gpus.  Last ditch effort would be to hold out for a potential refresh of these units with DDR3 and better outputs.

Video card:  Between the two of those, I would go with the dual 9800M GT SLI.  Here is a link to a decent website where you can compare benchmarks of laptop GPUs.  Notice how the 8800M GTX SLI beats the 9800M GTX.  Also notice how the 9800M GT beats the 8800M GTX.  Given that, it is safe to assume the 9800M GT SLI will beat thee 8800MGTX SLI, and thus, the 9800MGTX.  My question is whether or not the 9800M GTX will be offered in SLI soon.  If so, that is what you will want.

I would guess the SSD's would be better than the 7200 rpm hds, but what I can't say is are they $1100 dollars better.
Hopefully this will help a bit.
zieglerj14 View Drop Down

Quote zieglerj14 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 3:46pm
One other thing to note.  I just checked a couple other boutique laptop manufacturers and I found a couple that are now offering the new Q9650 3.0ghz quad core (non-extreme and thus much cheaper) in their desktop replacement laptops.  If money is really not a concern for you, you may want to ask DSO if they have one of these, if they could throw it in for you, and how much the upgrade would cost.

Not a huge deal, but the extra clock speed may be worth the time/question/cost to you.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 1:11am
Our benchmark crusher, is using the LG775 socked so I think you should be able to stick a QX9770 in there if you want.
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 4:34am
Only comment I have to make is that RAID 0 on a laptop seems a tad risky. Then again I don't like the potential risk of corruption that RAID 0 has even on a reg pc. Just seems that the odds of failure are much greater with a laptop that travels around and gets jostled, possibly during use even.
As far as SSD, they are improving by leaps and bounds atm. Personally, I would hold off on SSD unless you like to be the first on the block with stuff. Prices will continue to drop and performance will improve.
CRARRV View Drop Down

Quote CRARRV Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 1:20am
I am steering toward not getting the SSHD's at the moment, the thing is until people start buying the price is going to stay higher, Catch 22 really, although from what I can see that will change quite soon, there seem to be quiet a few unhappy people out there when it comes to SSHD at the moment, but again there are getting more & more that are liking them. Still what do I know

Will look into the Q9650 thanks Ziegler14, I was hoping more people would make comment on the Video cards but alas so far no.

Would any one from DS wish to make any comments on the possibility of upgrades in the near future, I would of thought you would have looked at this before launching the range?
CRARRV View Drop Down

Quote CRARRV Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 5:41am
Originally posted by CRARRV

Would any one from DS wish to make any comments on the possibility of upgrades in the near future, I would of thought you would have looked at this before launching the range?

I hoped that some one from DS would have posted by now, it seems that Laptop's don't seem to be big business around here yet as generally replies are a little lacking, which is a pity.
 Post Reply Post Reply