FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IF you own the ASUS P9X79 MOBO with 3930k chip....

Post Date: 2012-01-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kane860 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: IF you own the ASUS P9X79 MOBO with 3930k chip....
    Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 4:50pm
I'd like to hear from people who have computers with the ASUS P9X79 motherboard and 3930k chip.  For those of you that own this system, have any of you experienced any problems with your sata connected peripherals?  I am having many issues that I have already been discussing with everyone in my other thread here:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=16652

But I wanted to start this new thread to see who else owns a similar rig and if anyone is having problems... to summarize, I am having the following problems:

1.)  I have two DVD Drives and when connected to the sata 3 ports on the mother board, they are showing up as "AUDIO CD" in windows even when nothing is in the drive.  When I insert a disc, the drive does not recognize it.  However, when I remove the disc and then reinsert it into the same drive, windows then recognizes it and the drive seems to act normally.  When I connected both drives to the Sata 6 ports, they seem to work normally with no problems.

2.)  None of my eSata ports are working and neither is my firewire connection on the front panel.  I have the HAF X 942 case. 

I am just curious to know if anyone else either has had, or is currently having, similar issues. 

Edited by kane860 - 15 Jan 2012 at 4:51pm
System:
HAF X942 / i7 3930k 6-core cpu / ASUS P9x79 Deluxe MOBO
16gb DS ram / Corsair 1050HX PSU / Two - Intel 320 series 120gb SSD's
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD / GTX570 2.5gb GPU / Noctua D14 Cooler
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 7:20pm
That is a very popular configuration that our customers purchase and we don't have a lot of issues with the eSata/Firewall. I've seen issues with the optical drive (audio CD) but, those were related to Blu-Ray optical drives from my memory. I'm going to move your thread to "Hardware Discussion"
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 7:32pm
thanks Alex, just curious to know if anyone else is experiencing any of the same issues that I have.  I figured that since it is a popular config as you also mentioned, SOMEONE must have experienced some of these issues of mine.  I CANT be the only one lol Ninja
System:
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 12:52am
I'm sure if somebody else had this issue just like you they would come forward and ask for help, this is a shipping issue not a platform issue, your mobo got damaged during shipping.

But lets see if anybody else comes forth with exact issue as yours.

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Jan 2012 at 12:52am
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 10:27am
I highly doubt this is a shipping issue
System:
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:55am
I guess when it gets fixed we will see, but I'm very confident is a shipping issue.
acolberg1 View Drop Down

Quote acolberg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 3:30pm
Hello,
I have a P9X79 Deluxe MB ( 3960 CPU) and am having the same problems as you are.  I have 2 DVD drives, one a Plextor Blu-ray and another a standard sata dvd drive, both connected to the 3G sata connectors and both show them having audio CD's thoug they are empty.  Also am using a HD monitor as a display and every so often my PC turns off when I connect to the internet.  I have not tried connecting the optical drives to the 6G connectors, but am already using the two ports on the Intel 6g connectors, so it would have to be the 6g Marvell connectors.  Are those the ones you are using?  Have you had problems with the monitor or internet causing blue screen of death?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 3:33pm
His problem seems to have been corel, have a look here:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=16652&PID=188458#188458

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Jan 2012 at 3:35pm
acolberg1 View Drop Down

Quote acolberg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 4:12pm
Hello,

I'm not using Corel and am not having problems with my optical drives not being recognized.  I am having the same problems as Kane 860 with my optical drives indicating they have audio cds in them though they are empty and can unload the drives and load them again and they act normally.  Apparently he took care of the problem by attaching them to the 6g ports.  I have not done that yet and was wondering if he used the Marvel 6g ports to attach the optical drives.  However, I am also having problems with my HD TV monitor because every so often when I connect to the internet I get a blue screen of death and get a Bugcheck code 278.  I don't know if the latter is related to the MB or not.  I do suspect that since we both have the same MB and since he was able to temporarily solve the problem solve the audio CD issue by attaching them to the 6g ports, it is a MB bios issue.
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 5:20pm
hey acolberg1, I have been informed by DS that this "audio cd" issue is a problem with the motherboard and there is no current fix for it other than switching them onto the sata 6 ports.  To answer your question, yes I did place them on the marvel sata 6 ports and they work fine now and I have not noticed any other problems with the optical drives.

There is one problem I have noticed lately, not sure if it has anything to do with this but I am bringing it up since you mentioned something about the monitor.  Two times now, I have noticed that when I powered on the computer, my monitor turned on but there was no display on my monitor.  Not sure what this issue is or why its happening. 

As for the reason that my optical drives were not being recognized by Windows, that was due to the Corel software I was installing as DST mentioned but you are not having any problems like this right? 
System:
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by kane860

hey acolberg1, I have been informed by DS that this "audio cd" issue is a problem with the motherboard and there is no current fix for it other than switching them onto the sata 6 ports.

Kane860 can you contact asus and see what they say please, I like for asus to confirm that or tell us its not the mobo.

Reason I ask is because other people I see with deluxe don't have this problem.
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 2:16am
DS informed me of this mobo issue with the 3930 at the time I placed my order with them last week.It is my understanding that it will be resolved by a firmware update - hopefully before my rig ships Excited
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 7:24am
DS told me that they are not sure what type of update it will be.. they said it could be a BIOS update or the mother board may need to be swapped...hopefully it will be a simple update because if the mother board needs to be swapped, I will just keep mine as is.   

DST I will see if I can contact ASUS when I have a chance to confirm.
System:
acolberg1 View Drop Down

Quote acolberg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 3:06pm
acolberg1 View Drop Down

Quote acolberg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 3:31pm
Hello Kane860,
My MB Bios is 0802.  My MB originally came with Bios 0402 but my 3.0 USB front case ports were not working and I read that others were having this problem also and I installed 0802. Then I noticed a lot of these problems.  I suspect that because of these type of issues a lot of the problems we are having is related to the Bios somehow.  I don't know why others may or not have the same problems with this MB.  I'll have to get on some of the other sites and try to find out why.  But I think that we can try to compare our hardware and software to see if we have things in common that could be related to this.  Are you on Bios 0802?  I am not having problems with Windows not recognizing my optical drives.  Also,  you might want to check your connections to your monitor, to make sure they are snug, because sometimes when they are not they don't always work when cold, but do when hot.  Anyway here are my specs for comparison-Thermaltake 1200w PSU, 3960 CPU, Gigabyte GTX 580 graphics card, 32 GB Corsair DDR3 1600 memory, Plextor PX-B320SA Bluray optical drive, Sony DVD optical drive, Samsung 830 SSD drive, 2tb Hitachi Hard drive and a 1 TB Seagate Barracuda HD.  Also I have cyberlink Bluray disk suite and I wonder if you have a similar optical drive and software.
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 6:02pm
I am not exactly sure which BIOS I am on, I will check when I have a chance to restart my computer.. currently have a lot of programs running so dont want to restart right now. 

Also my monitor connection is good, checked it and the DVI plug is actually screwed into the DVI port on the GPU so there is no problem with connection. 

I am not sure which Optical Drives I have, but they are both the same and they are the ones that DS currently includes with their sytems, the basic ones.. just DVDRW drives, not bluray
System:
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 9:38pm
kane860 can you let me as soon as you come in contact with asus, I want to know their stance.
 Post Reply Post Reply